Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000G - Smoke at start-up - should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G - Smoke at start-up - should I buy?

Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a 1980 GS1000G with about 47,000 miles for $1,500. From the pictures and a longer talk with the owner over the phone it looks and sounds like the bike has been maintained very well and is in good condition.

When I asked the owner if there are any flaws he said that it would smoke at start-up as the valve guides would have dried out. The warm bike would not smoke. He said the valve guides would be made of rubber. Does this make sense? Should I walk away?

Thank you!

If the bike has been well maintained it should not be smoking. Certainly the valve guides are not made of rubber, the valve stem seals however are some kind of rubber mix. I guess the only way is to go and see it running from cold and note what colour the smoke is and make your desision from there. Better if you can take someone that is knowledgeable with you to view it.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Thank you. If the bike only smokes at start-up, could I simply ignore it or do leaky valve stem seals have to be addressed?

Comment

MMC, Welcome to TheGSR.

Smoking on startup. I would think that is assuming if it has sat for a few days.
        Is not too bad of a problem, Yah, you could live with it, depending on how bad it is. If it is clouds and clouds and clouds and chokes anybody nearby, well, that would be annoying, and then might also burn a bit of oil while running such that need to check oil level often. If it is just some puffs for a couple seconds, that is not so bad.

You might notice is better or worse if had been on sidestand or on centerstand. And, even if not too bad, you will want to take care of it at some point before it does get too bad, maybe in a couple years maybe longer.

A lot of folks really like the 1000s. About as much power as 1100 but not much bigger than 750s.

In my opinion, will need to be in real good condition for that price. If a little puff on start up, that would not scare me off.

If the puff on startup is not too bad, I would take that as a good sign that the seller is a good guy that he told you about it.

Last edited by Redman; 01-31-2019, 06:05 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sounds like valve guide seals are shot. I'd pass unless you know your way around inside an engine and like projects.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Sounds like valve guide seals are shot. I'd pass unless you know your way around inside an engine and like projects.
            Agreed and agreed.

The good news is that the seals themselves are not all that expensive. OEM seals are about $5.50 each (you need 8), but aftermarket units on eBay can be had for about $12 (plus shipping) for the full set.

The bad news is that you need to disassemble the engine to change the valve seals. A full gasket set (which will include the valve seals) can easily approach $200. Not sure that a full set is still available from Suzuki, you might have to assemble the kit yourself.

Add the cost of the gasket set to the challenge of 8-12 hours of working on your engine (and anything else that pops up along the way), it's not a cheap adventure.

As others have mentioned, for $1500 and that smoking problem, the cosmetics would have to be near-perfect to compensate.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[QUOTE=fastbysuzuki;2525609 I guess the only way is to go and see it running from cold.[/QUOTE]

Got to agree with that. When I spoke on the phone with the seller, I told him the engine must be cold to the touch, or we do it another day.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If you pull the plugs that should give you an idea how much oil is making it past the seals, rings etc. If they look normal or close to it and oil consumption is within reason then you should be good for awhile.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I thought I'd seen a way to replace stem seals with the engine intact, just the valve cover & cams removed... something like stuffing rope into the cylinder to hold the valve up?? I may be talking rubbish but I'm sure I've seen that somewhere.

All of these bikes smoke a little bit after that sort of mileage & use a dash of oil. You'll find it will go plenty of more miles though.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

A couple of members changed the seals without pulling the head and posted some photos showing the process. It took some real ingenuity and a good bit of work, but it is possible.

Edit:

Last edited by Nessism; 01-31-2019, 10:16 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and the helpful responses!

I am torn whether I should look at the bike. It is about a 1 hour drive. The bike looks very clean in the pictures. It has a fairing but it comes with the original headlight and turn signals.

Also comes with the original seat which was taken off and replaced with a custom seat when the bike was purchased.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        I thought I'd seen a way to replace stem seals with the engine intact, just the valve cover & cams removed... something like stuffing rope into the cylinder to hold the valve up?? I may be talking rubbish but I'm sure I've seen that somewhere.
                        Yes, it's likely possible, but the trick would be to find a way to anchor a lever so you can push down on the valve spring(s) to remove and install the keepers.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Another picture

IMG_0003.jpg

Comment

When the bike sits, oil up top will bleed past the seals/guides into the cylinders. Very small amount. It burns off rather quickly on startup. If it doesn't smoke warmed up, and doesn't smoke for long when it does, I wouldn't sweat it. My 850 has been that way for years. It doesn't even show up on the oil level. I'd only concern myself with the compression readings.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                              When the bike sits, oil up top will bleed past the seals/guides into the cylinders. Very small amount. It burns off rather quickly on startup. If it doesn't smoke warmed up, and doesn't smoke for long when it does, I wouldn't sweat it. My 850 has been that way for years. It doesn't even show up on the oil level. I'd only concern myself with the compression readings.
                              Why does this only happen when the bike sits?

Comment

Working...
                              X