How often to replace Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often to replace Helmet

I've been one to replace my helmet when I feel mine is getting worn out. I lived in Florida for many years and when I left my helmet in the sun for so many days of commuting, I figured the sun beating down would affect the chemicals/resins in the helmet. Being in a more Mid-West type climate and that I keep my helmet less in the sun, I'm curious as to the length of time between helmet replacement. Research online says Helmets should be replaced every 3 - 5 yrs. I find it interesting that one manufacturer states that 2 yrs on the shelf is ok, the 5 yrs starts after its starting use date. Of course, a serious drop or accident - necessitates immediate replacement. I'm curious as to how often do you all replace your helmets?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    1983 GS750 E - gone forever
    Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
    1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
    2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
    2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

I replace mine ever 2 years which is about 50K miles or so.

Better safe than sorry IMHO.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I think one of the main things that happens with use is the Styrofoam liner starts to compress/crush down. The fiberglass shell shouldn't deteriorate much.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I always rotate between two or more helmets, and generally about three years is the limit; the liner just gets too loose, it's getting funky smelling, the face shield mechanism wears out, can't get parts, etc.

If I wore the same helmet every single day, it would be roached in a year or two. With two or more, they get a chance to air out between uses, and that really helps keep things far more pleasant inside.

It depends a LOT on how frequently and how far you ride.

Most people don't really ride much so five years from a helmet is no problem.

If you do a lot of miles and use motorcycles as your primary transportation to commute and run errands, helmets wear out long before then.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm in the three to five year zone. I have two helmets that I wear regularly. One has my Sena headset and it gets used during two up rides and the other gets use on my solo rides. I prefer HJC full face because they are very comfy for my head shape. When looking for a new lid I shop during the winter months and look for the sales. Lots of dealers will have big markdowns because a certain color wasn't popular and they have several they want to get rid of. I have purchased some very nice, but very ugly helmets over the years for a great price. I don't care about the color because I can't see it when it's on my head. This one was a dandy, but I got it for $90. The dealer had about ten of them.

IMG_20150915_155946789.jpg

Comment

I've never seen any "crash-evidence" per "stale" hemets. I'd like to see a brand new 10 year old helmet crash tested versus a brand new helmet but it's not the first thing that pops up in a search....so beyond obvious damage, I'm left with:

1) the visors get scratched and hazy and replacements can't be found.
            2) the inside cloth material gets funky and replacements can't be found
            3) real safety improvements
            4) comfort improvements...ie: lighter, quieter, comfier liners, better venting, better fits
            5) just sick of looking at the same helmet or wanting a fashion upgrade

#1 and #2 pretty much mean a steady stream of helmets going to the dump.
            #3 a judgement call but better viewing angles and comfort are going to help. helmets have been around awhile and I'd expect the major safety points have been covered long since.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-17-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I have 2 new helmets that are still in the box (only taken out to inspect & fit check). It's been at least a year since purchased so they should be ok on the shelf...until I'm ready to ride.

Good points all around about the fair wear & tear of helmet ownership.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I kept mine for ten years, always in its cloth bag, riding rarely in direct sun as I prefer cooler days. I eventually replaced it because the helmet manufacturers tell us 2-5 years so I figured even though the helmet looks good I should replace it.

I took the old helmet, Shark Fusion full face and put it on the cement in my yard and dropped several heavy bricks from about six feet. Bounced off, never cracked the shell. But anyway, Shark in the trash, now have HJC IS-Max
                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

In my latest, a cheap Bilt full face, the interior cushions are removable and washable.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                    I kept mine for ten years, always in its cloth bag, riding rarely in direct sun as I prefer cooler days. I eventually replaced it because the helmet manufacturers tell us 2-5 years so I figured even though the helmet looks good I should replace it.

I took the old helmet, Shark Fusion full face and put it on the cement in my yard and dropped several heavy bricks from about six feet. Bounced off, never cracked the shell. But anyway, Shark in the trash, now have HJC IS-Max
                    I had an IS-Max & now have an IS-MAX 2. The latest version is much improved, which is another reason to buy a new helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                      I had an IS-Max & now have an IS-MAX 2. The latest version is much improved, which is another reason to buy a new helmet.
                      My new one is the IS-Max 2. I just wish the internal visor was darker.
                      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                        My new one is the IS-Max 2. I just wish the internal visor was darker.
                        The helmet comes with the “smoke” sun visor. A “dark smoke” sun visor is available.

Comment

Impact tests are only part of the story. Barring severe mechanical or chemical damage, the outer shells and the beer cooler foam in helmets will last for a century or more.

So I wouldn't really expect any difference in the impact testing.

However, everything else wears out and/or deteriorates with time, and that's what sends helmets to the dump. If a helmet won't stay in place on your head, or the visor is cloudy, or the mechanism is loose, or the adhesives are deteriorating (the foam is glued into the shell), then it's less safe for riding. If you crash, your helmet needs to be on your head and in the correct position to do much good, and if the liner is roached, it can move around easily. Plus, an old helmet is a dangerous distraction; you have to fiddle with the helmet and visor more to keep them in place, you probably can't see as well through the scratched-up visor, etc.

But it would still pass an impact test, no problem.

One other detail: do NOT keep helmets (or other gear, for that matter) in the garage. Ever melt styrofoam with gas when you were a kid? What do you think the gasoline vapors from your GS and your lawn mower and snow blower are slowly doing to your helmet, especially if you stir in summer heat? Plus, rodents and insects just love sweaty stuff.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I replace mine every time I see a new shiny one that I can't live without! That used to be a couple times a year...
                            2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
                            2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
                            2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

I used to swap helmets about two years apart.

Then my wife and i tried the Scorpion 900.... a flip-front helmet
                              She did not like it, but I tried the same helmet and loved it.

I have since come to really appreciate the flip-front, and the fit is delightful, largely due to the air pump that allows a custom fit.

It cannot last forever, but I love the helmet.
                              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                              X