Can anyone tell what ignition this is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell what ignition this is

Hi everyone, so I just found this ignition on eBay last night and bought it right away because it was a steal. I had thought it was a version of the dynatec electronic ignition but after when I looked online nothing similar showed up anywhere. The says it was for a 78 to 80 GS750. Screenshot_20190317-225710_eBay.jpg

So anyone have any idea what brand or model this is so I can hopefully get some set up instructions?

I also hope the image has loaded properly as I'm have issues uploading pics.
    New project 78' gs750 currently siezed motor
    78 Honda CX500 cafe racer

Whatever it is,it's a simple switch type as it still uses the centrifugal advance.
    I've not seen the almost full circle surround before - and wonder if it's an optical trigger.

Comment

From what I can make out, the rotor has a couple of opposed humps on it, so likely a magnetic trigger each side.
      It might drive the coils directly (like Dyna), or it may need an ignitor box to go with it (like Piranha).
      Looking at the size of the modules and gauge of the wiring, it's quite likely akin to a Dyna in operation, so if you're lucky, it's all there.
      There's no guarantee the wiring colours mean anything, except to the maker.
      Last edited by Grimly; 03-18-2019, 03:13 PM.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

When you get it, we'll need some better pictures. PotatoVision and poor lighting doesn't give us much to work with.

I do know Dyna ignitions have changed appearance a few times, but I don't recall ever seeing one that was a full doughnut shape. Or maybe it's more of a "U" shape with some unknown widget at the top?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          When you get it, we'll need some better pictures. PotatoVision and poor lighting doesn't give us much to work with.

I do know Dyna ignitions have changed appearance a few times, but I don't recall ever seeing one that was a full doughnut shape. Or maybe it's more of a "U" shape with some unknown widget at the top?
          Ya when it comes in I'll upload some better pics for sure. I was already needing to buy a new advancer so worked out great for the all in price of $90 cad

Comment

Looks like a Dyna S to me... I have 3, they work as advertised. There are 2 different GS ones depending on the OEM and year, I think the rotating part is the difference
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

So here is what just came in the mail today and I've never seen this design. It looks like a complete circle but looking in from the bottom where the wires come in it looks like 2 separate pieces just like the average dynatec but with some type of heat shrink cover.
              Attached Files

Comment

20190405_234324.jpg

This is the governor that it came with

Comment

OK, that's weird. I got nuttin' -- I haven't seen anything like that before. The wire colors are definitely not Dyna.

That's a stock mechanical advancer, but it's missing the rotor or trigger bit.

On a Dyna ignition, you get a black plastic trigger unit that has a magnet embedded in it. And on the stock GS ignition, there's a metal bit with a sort of fin sticking out that triggers the pickups as it goes past.

It should be easy to get a stock trigger; you remove it when you install a Dyna, so there are plenty floating around.

But unless we figure out who made that ignition, it's impossible to tell what sort of trigger unit you'll need.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ya I know what you mean about the trigger needing to be plastic. I have a good normal trigger. This afternoon hopefully I can get this on the engine and see if it triggers anything.

Comment

Unless you have some other indication of what the different color wires mean, I would <guess> that those mate up with the stock colors: orange is power, black and white to the coils with the same colors.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Unless you have some other indication of what the different color wires mean, I would <guess> that those mate up with the stock colors: orange is power, black and white to the coils with the same colors.

Agree. I have to say that the backplate looks Dyna but the pickups look homemade.
                        I'd try it with a Dyna S type rotor - plastic with imbedded magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                          Agree. I have to say that the backplate looks Dyna but the pickups look homemade.
                          I'd try it with a Dyna S type rotor - plastic with imbedded magnet.
                          No need to bother mounting it on an engine; you could hook up power and a test light with test leads per the Dyna instructions and try waving a small magnet to see if it switches.

If not, then you'll need to check resistances to see if it's just a sensor with a separate ignition box somewhere (that you don't have).

If it switches, then it's likely a complete ignition al la Dyna. Given the size of the pickups and the wires, I suspect this is how it works.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

That looks like a Prestolite ignition.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1986 GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              No need to bother mounting it on an engine; you could hook up power and a test light with test leads per the Dyna instructions and try waving a small magnet to see if it switches.

If not, then you'll need to check resistances to see if it's just a sensor with a separate ignition box somewhere (that you don't have).

If it switches, then it's likely a complete ignition al la Dyna. Given the size of the pickups and the wires, I suspect this is how it works.
                              So I actually checked that trigger that it came with and found that it is mildly magnetic ( it has a weak magnetic pull as tested with metal key ring). So I tried to do the test with a magnet and with just the trigger and as I move it around the individual sides I can see that it is switching on to each coil. I actually just had the bike fire up for the first time today since I've rebuilt the engine that was seized for the past ~7 years so I'm just riding that high for now. I'll try switching over to this new ignition from the points sometime in the next month when I hopefully have the rest of the bike put together.

Comment

Working...
                              X