How many GS's is too many GS's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many GS's is too many GS's?

Is it even possible to have too many GS's?

I currently have 2 850s but I'm having the urge to buy more bikes. There's a "road ready" GS1100GK near me for sale that looks to be in pretty good shape after careful review of all the pictures. I think the asking price is high but maybe not too far off.

There's also two more GS1100Gx's for sale as a pair, one being "for parts" for the other. Neither look like they've seen pavement in many years, but there's definitely a complete bike between the two, maybe even enough parts to get both running.

And there's a GS1100GL... And a GS650L... And a GS550(?)... And another 850...

I WANT THEM ALL... Most are priced under $1,000 and many could likely be purchased for less than $500.

I'd love one of each engine displacement, and even cooler if I could have one of each model too. But the wife doesn't think I need 15+ bikes, nor does my lack of storage space. But could you imagine having all those options? They're all in varying condition so I'd have plenty to keep me busy tinkering. It's sad to see so many in disrepair. I'd love to get them all back to their formal glory. Probably wouldn't completely restore them all, but definitely get them all mechanically sound and cleaned up.

Anyways, am I crazy? What would you guys have if money/space wasn't an issue?
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
    What would you guys have if money/space wasn't an issue?
    More chains, fewer shafts.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I currently own an 850L and a 750E. If I came across an 1100GK, it would be hard to pass up.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Definitely an 1100GK for me. I had the chance last year but dragged my feet and it sold. These bikes have a tendency to show up again for sale so I'll keep looking.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

16 bikes...I got 15 more than i need. 16 is TOO MANY.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've got 4 in the stable right now and that is enough! Lack of space is my problem. But...….I am looking for a GS550 in restorable shape. If I find one...... the little Honda FT500 is gone! Maybe!
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

How many bikes is one question.
              How many insurance policys is another.
              How many batterys is another.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

How many bikes do I need? Silly question. One more than I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  I think Red Man hit the nail on the head! It gets expensive keeping multiple motorcycles on the upkeep. My poor 1100e needs a top end rebuild. The 850 needs intake O-Rings replaced. The 1000e needs a petcock and tires. The FJR just needs oil changes and tires... Lawn mower need blade sharpened. It never ends... 😃
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

In the past I've applied the mathematical approach - number of bikes falls into the simple formula N + 1, where N is the number of bikes currently in the shed. And I've shared the desire to own the complete set of capacities - but the reality of restoring, repairing, maintaining, insuring the lot means ya just can't do it all. But it's good fun finding that out....
                    '77 750B - owned it since '79
                    '78 750C
                    '80 850G
                    '70 TS250-2 - doing the rebuild
                    '75 Yamaha XS650B
                    '03 Ducati ST4S

Comment

No signature

Comment

Trev, Nice pic.
                        So, six is not too many. (6 counting wifes transport.)

I am not recalling the sport tourer (bags& trunk) in your picture. An FJ.....?

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Tangent View Post
                          .... ....
                          Tangent, Welcome to TheGSR.
                          Would be good if you went off in another direction and post an introduction in the "owners" section. And you could post N number of pics of your bikes, where N equalls 6, and 2/3rds are vintage Suzukis, and half are GS's.
                          Last edited by Redman; 04-06-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            As far as insurance goes, no more than two insured at a time. You being from Michigan as well understand the burden of outrageous insurance rates that do nothing other than steal from the population. If I was in my home state, I could insure 15 bikes for the cost of 2 in Michigan...

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                            I think Red Man hit the nail on the head! It gets expensive keeping multiple motorcycles on the upkeep. My poor 1100e needs a top end rebuild. The 850 needs intake O-Rings replaced. The 1000e needs a petcock and tires. The FJR just needs oil changes and tires... Lawn mower need blade sharpened. It never ends... 😃
                            That's the flip side of the coin. So many toys that you can't afford/don't have the time to up keep all of them. But hey, we can dream, right???
                            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Anyways, am I crazy? What would you guys have if money/space wasn't an issue?

Sounds like Jay Leno.

The were only few thousand GS's built (got no idea how many, sorry.) You can have only that many, minus the one I wrecked.
                              Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                              1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                              1981 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X