Starter Clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch question

Could someone explain to me what disengages once the engine is started?

Does the big gear on the starter clutch disengage from the idler gear?
    That's the only thing i can figure might be happening.

Just a general interest question, thanks.
    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
    New project 1979 GS1000S
    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

There are a total of three gears: starter motor, idler and clutch. The larger gear on the clutch rides on a hub. Between the two pieces are three spring-loaded rollers that roll against a tapered ramp. When the starter motor is engaged, the rollers go against the ramp and get wedged, forcing the hub to turn. The hub is bolted to the back side of the flywheel, which is also the magnet assembly for the charging system.

When the crank is moving faster than the starter gears, the rollers are freed from the ramp and basically just float in place. All three gears are constantly meshed, the only disengagement is at the roller/hub interface.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      There are a total of three gears: starter motor, idler and clutch. The larger gear on the clutch rides on a hub. Between the two pieces are three spring-loaded rollers that roll against a tapered ramp. When the starter motor is engaged, the rollers go against the ramp and get wedged, forcing the hub to turn. The hub is bolted to the back side of the flywheel, which is also the magnet assembly for the charging system.

When the crank is moving faster than the starter gears, the rollers are freed from the ramp and basically just float in place. All three gears are constantly meshed, the only disengagement is at the roller/hub interface.

Thanks for reply Steve.
      Have I got this right?

Once the engine is started, the clutch gear , stops spinning due to the clutch disengaging, while rotor/flywheel continue to spin?
      Is that it?
      1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
      New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Here's a good video of an explanation of how I think our GS strarter clutch works. As Steve mentioned, all of the gears are always meshed. The starter clutch spring/ramp set up keeps the gear behind the rotor from spinning so the starter motor doesn't spin after ignition is achieved. At least that's how I understand it.

here's an animation. not sure this is exactly how the the Suzuki starter clutch spring/ramp set up looks, but I think the principle is the same.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That was great, thank you both, I think I've got it now.
          New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Working...
          X