Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS bikes are cheap! And Thankyou to this forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS bikes are cheap! And Thankyou to this forum.

Coffee time and a few words.
    You guys and gals in the USA are very fortunate to have so many bikes, and old (pre 1980) cars for that matter, come up for sale at reasonable prices.
    I am occasionally surprised by how cheap some bikes are. You cant build them for the asking price. If it's running good and can ride it, why do people argue about a couple of hundred dollars?
    I'm still not sure why riders wont travel a couple states away to buy a bike? I've bought a couple 2,000 and 3,000km away and rode them back.
    No big deal and part of an adventure.
    Yeah it *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$s me when the tight arses buy an old GS bike and only to put cheapest oil in and wont spend $200 on new good tyres.
    They whinge and complain about high prices of new OEM parts. Eg- a gs switch block from Suzuki for $150. It's new and will last 30+ years. But nope, they will pay $20 for a 40 year old part or some cheap Chinese crap. ugh.

Obviously there are some that have had bikes for so long they forget it's not 1989 and parts prices went up. haha! Even I realize that, and comparatively, my wages haven't gone up that much in 30 years? ha!
    GS bikes are good quality, ride well, get good horsepower, reliable. There is still plenty of them around. Easy to work on.
    I can find out about almost everything on a GS, mainly, actually wholly thanks to this forum and links, for the huge wealth of information available that has been imparted on us from the older members over the years. Thank-you to you all for the time and effort.

Will the gs bikes go up a lot? Maybe. I hope not. Great ones cost more than they did a few years ago, but nowhere near the prices of Honda 750/4 or the Kwaka z900. Oh well. I never bought bikes for investment.
    Cheers.
    gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
    gs850g 1980
    Previously owned
    gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
    gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

I'll admit that bikes are cheap, here in Michigan they're VERY cheap and easy to find. You're also right in suggesting doing some travelling to find a better than average one, I've done that in the past. As to complaining about prices, you need to remember that here in the US a common working mans wage has been steadily going down compared to he cost of living since the mid 1970's. A few years back I was considering going over to Australia to chase a Sheila I'd met over here on vacation, when I saw how much money it would take just to take a vacation that idea went out the window fast. Conversely, when she learned that the minimum here was $7.15 an hour, she about had a heart attack! The pictures of her house, which was in a typical working class area was worth over $1,000,000, over here she could get a similar replacement in a similar neighbourhood for about $75,000. It's a matter of perspective, don't judge us until you've walked a mile in our underwear!
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

I bought my first Suzuki in 2011 and I traveled to Virginia from Delaware to get her. $3K for a Gixxer 750. Had that for 6 months and sold it quick for $3400. The guy ended his life on that bike 2 weeks later.

I still wanted to ride...considering my first bike was the first I've ever ridden...I was 44 years old.

I found my current riding "T" (Oct) in Maryland for $475 and joind this forum in December 2012. Overpriced, I was told by the motorcycle shop I took her to. They did compression test and put the clutch back together and it started. I was very fortunate the previous owner didn't lie about it running.

I took her home and started enjoying pleasant rides around our home. Then a job for Boeing called (2013) and there I went driving 2K miles to Alamogordo, NM. Of course I took her...and there I met Mr Bill and did all the upgrades and one rebuild. Mr Bill helped with the pipes and shocks. Sadly, I left NM in July 2014 and relocated to Jacksonville, FL to continue working for Boeing. I left that company in April of 2016 and came back to Delaware.

I've spent well over $1500 on parts (Steve rebuilt my carbs) and accessories to include helmets, gloves, and riding jacket.

I've been fortunate with income that has allowed me to own a home and take care of family.

These bikes are/can be cheap. They are easy to work on (simple jobs) but the parts can be expensive.

There you have it...my story that reveals I traveled out of state to get my bikes. Before I forget, I bought a second "T" and drove up north to Palmerton, Pennsylvania to get her. $275 for a parts bike that's sitting in my shed.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-20-2019, 05:30 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I only spent $1,600 for my '79 S model. It only had 16K on it and after a tune and service fired right up and ran perfect after sitting outside for 5 years. I think I may have invested another 3 grand into it (with 100's of hrs. of labor not figured in) and ended up with a bike that's worth considerably more then that now. I know the S is more collectible, but it's a great running and riding bike no different then a standard E model. I like the simplicity of a vintage bike and even though I consider myself an experienced and good rider, still can't take it to it's limits on the street.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
        X