Throttle lock/ cruise control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
    Steve, you're doing it wrong. Those are for relaxing your grip, not your wrist.
    In the (very) few times I have used one, it did not help much. It then requires arm muscles, rather than wrist muscles to maintain pressure on the tab. Maybe it gets better with practice, but I found it much harder.

For that kind of dough, I want a real cruise control.
    I have one, ready to install, as soon as I can find a location for the vacuum actuator.

Choose what you want from the following list:

NHTSA Rider Assistance Levels
    1-Throttle rocker: Relieves grip stress.
    2-Throttle lock: Allows relaxation of whole arm for scratching, picking, whatever you want to call it.
    3-Cruise control: Allows relaxation of arm and speed monitoring portion of brain. Rider is still responsible for maintaining situational awareness.
    4-Honda full self-riding motorcycle technology. Frees the rider to do something else entirely. A better rider in every way that doesn't matter.
    #1 and #4 don't interest me at all. Currently have #2 on the GS and #3 on the GL.

Originally posted by johnod View Post
    I don't understand , how is it any different when hitting a bump, never noticed any such problem.
    In my experience, with the pressure on the tab, instead of the grip, it was possible for the handlebars to rise into your hand. That action effectively pushes down on the tab, goosing the throttle.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    In the 1970's there were plenty of tiny ads in the back pages of cycle mags for throttle grips with stiff flaps that rested against the heel of your hand.

Are those still around, or is it one of the devices someone has already mentioned with a new moniker? I don't even remember what they used to be called.
    "Throttle rocker", "Cramp buster", and a few other names all describe the same thing.

All I can say is that it is WONDERFUL that we have choices, it is obvious that we all have different tastes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's them!

No vacuum lines, no big vise-grip clamps, no electricity.

Of course, don't take your advice from me. The only cruise control I've ever used has been in cars.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

As for me --
        The best cruise control is on my Goldwing

BUT -- On the GS850GL I have a combination of these things..

The VISTA Throttle Lock for when I need to scratch , or pick , or ...
        The Cramp Buster for the longish highway rides to relax my grip and lessen fatigue;
        AND the Buster is removable easily for when I want more precise control (twisty running)

Everyone needs to make their own bike comfortable and usable for themselves --
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I've really only found the cramp busters useful on bigger engine bikes where you can cruise the freeway without too much throttle movement once up to speed. Tried it on the KLR once or twice... useless!

I can't remember the last time I used anything. I've thrown away a couple of Vista & NEP's in my time though....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There's an interesting variety of opinions about the throttle rockers. I see a few people don't feel they don't have sufficiently fine control with them. The first time I tried track riding without it, my throttle control got a lot worse. For me, it's always there; twisties, slab, whatever. I never move it, except for when another rider might be involved. It's my reference for feeling where the throttle is, so every time I grab the throttle, closed is at the same wrist angle, WOT is the same, etc. That said, it did take some experimenting to find a position that worked for me universally. For the initial tries, I set it too high, and it was definitely in the way. The one I bought was also too long, and would catch on my sleeve. I trimmed about 12mm off, IIRC. The versions I've designed and printed for myself I think are smaller than anything on the market. Some of the ones for sale look disturbingly huge, like the Steve showed in his last comment.

I can certainly ride without one, but I prefer not to.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I can certainly ride without one, but I prefer not to.
              The first motorized two-wheeler I rode was a Briggs & Stratton mini bike with a broken twist grip throttle. You had to have one hand down on the engine to accelerate. I spent the next four years jonesing for a Honda "Trail 70", or even a Trail 50.

image.jpg

To this day, I'd proudly park the 11E next to a Trail 70. And silently hope and pray he'd let me sit on it. I only hope my mind wouldn't be on such automatic cruise control that I'd forget to ask someone to snap a pick.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have one of these:

It also comes in a non-adjustable form, but I found it a bit fiddly and it didn't work great on my grips. They are also easy to break if you are mucking about with them and not paying attention
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Clvannoy View Post
                  what is being used out there ?
                  I tried using the NEP for a few years, never was happy with it, it was either too tight or not tight enough, lock it down and it would slowly release the throttle. Too tight you could barely turn the throttle back in a hurry. I then tried the cramp buster. I had better control with it and it helped my hand greatly. I went as far as putting one on the left grip as well. Works for me. My Spyder has cruise control, getting where I like it on the highway now.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I wouldn't give a nickel for another cramp buster. The NEP is a gem, set the tension to suit yourself. I'm an old carpal tunnel syndrome survivor, so I tried everything that wasn't a fortune. I'm down to only using the NEP.

Comment

I'm looking at my throttle grip (pictured) and at the Vista Cruise throttle lock and I can see how I'll move the brake perch a hair to the left, but the grip flange is right where the throttle lock needs to go.
                      Do I cut that flange off and affix the throttle lock to the plastic throttle under neath it?
                      Do I simply squash the flange with the included rubber ring?
                      Or put the throttle lock to the right of the flange, which then puts it too close to my hand?
                      Or replace the throttle grip with one that has no flange?
                      Any advice?
                      100_3603.jpg

Comment

Try just snugging it up as close as you can to the grip flang. I think that you will find that you have enough grip. V
                        Originally posted by Oggy View Post
                        I'm looking at my throttle grip (pictured) and at the Vista Cruise throttle lock and I can see how I'll move the brake perch a hair to the left, but the grip flange is right where the throttle lock needs to go.
                        Do I cut that flange off and affix the throttle lock to the plastic throttle under neath it?
                        Do I simply squash the flange with the included rubber ring?
                        Or put the throttle lock to the right of the flange, which then puts it too close to my hand?
                        Or replace the throttle grip with one that has no flange?
                        Any advice?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]59003[/ATTACH]
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up