X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    "Italian tune-up", that is.

Click link.

That's awesome. I've never heard that term before.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
      Are you sure the white smoke isn't steam.

In the damp climate of the UK, I literally have steam and water dripping out of mine. But it takes the exhausts and mufflers at least 10 minutes to heat up enough to evapourate it. Also why they always rot from the inside out.
      Thanks for the advice. I live in a desert, so the humidity probably isn't an issue.

Comment

Could be. I will be changing the oil again soon. I think the rings in cylinder 1 (closet to kick stand) are fouled up or stuck. I did a little research and ended up pulling the spark plugs on the two left cylinders. I put an equal mixture of acetone, marvel mystery oil and atf fluid in each cylinder. I'm going to let it sit a few days, change the oil and try again. Fingers crossed. A lot of people swear by this concoction, or similar ones. Cylinder one drains slowly, cylinder two isn't draining at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Vrian_Sinth View Post
          Thanks for the advice. I live in a desert, so the humidity probably isn't an issue.
          You would be surprised how much moisture there is in the rather incomplete combustion inherent in a cold internal combustion engine.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            You would be surprised how much moisture there is in the rather incomplete combustion inherent in a cold internal combustion engine.

As an approximation, a gallon of hydrocarbon fuel will release a gallon of water on combustion.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

So I finished soaking the pistons, did an oil change and got it fired back up. It was still putting out a little smoke. I drove it around the block a few times and it's looking much better. Now I just need to get it all cleaned up and start riding. I'm super excited. Now I just need to diagnose why it struggles starting after sitting 24 hours. Thanks for all the comments. It's really much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X