Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You ready to park your GS?

Just got this from the AMA. EPA.jpg

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/…/epa-oks-year-round-sa…
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

I would have to park both of our 4-wheelers and the Goldwing, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I absolutely hate the EPA, and the majority of our federal government as a whole. Bunch of $#&@_#&#&@_@_ idiots making laws that make zero sense in the real world. If only I hadn't moved to a blue state...
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

No!!!!!!!!!!
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

There are alternatives. We are a smog test state (until January when testing goes away), and we have ethanol free premium if you know where to look. There are other ways to "oxygenate" gasoline besides Ethanol. Ethanol is the cheapest and most subsidized however. The 15% is courtesy of the farm lobby. Support farmers by sacrificing carburetors....
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't rejet for ethanol..

Comment

Its the fact that ethanol eats up old rubber parts and absorbs water that is the issue here! Better start looking for an ethanol-free supplier.
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

re: hating the epa, this is a trump policy, as a salve to big ag for the tariff situation. the environmental protection folks are against it. Don't want to drag it into vortex territory, just stating the facts....
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Please correct me if I am wrong as I'm not an atmospheric chemist but, doesn't increased ethanol cause more air quality issues? Not trying to get political, just trying to get the facts right.

Comment

Corn based ethanol is carbon neutral.... if you don’t consider harvesting energy.
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                      Corn based ethanol is carbon neutral.... if you don’t consider harvesting energy.
                      But if you do consider harvesting energy...

I've read that it takes a shyte load of energy to turn some corn into 'gas'.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

No sign of 15 here in Vancouver { Yet }... And we still have Chevron supreme which is ethanol free which I use.......
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          No sign of 15 here in Vancouver { Yet }... And we still have Chevron supreme which is ethanol free which I use.......
                          Ethonal free?!? Send some down!

Maybe we could set up a pipeline. Those never cause any problems, right?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Has anyone been spotted selling ethanol-ready rubber parts for old stuff? Is there an additive that actually helps? The E10 is bad enough already.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I've been eyeing Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Treatment.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X