Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a 2007 GSF1250S

Howdy,

I'm looking at adding a 2007 Bandit to my garage. It has about 19K miles and looks to be well cared for. I've read a lot of reviews of the bike and all seem to indicate it is good but not great, very reliable, and easy to work on. The only bike I've ever owned is my '78 GS750. If anyone has any opinions about the Bandit I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks!

Pete

They're fantastic bikes, and they definitely feel familiar to vintage GS riders. Which makes sense; it's essentially a GS with another 30 years of development.

The engine is liquid-cooled and vastly understressed, so should pretty much last forever. There aren't really any glaring reliability issues that I've ever heard of.

It's also a roomy bike, and easily accommodates Givi racks and luggage if you want to make a sport-tourer. Some aftermarket accessories are out there (windscreens, crash bars, and such), and the handlebars are easy to change.

On the minus side, the huge exhaust canister is very quiet and gentlemanly, but sits way up high and the passenger gets very little leg room. I ended up with a V-Strom 1000 because my wife couldn't handle the Bandit frog squat. There are a few solutions to move the exhaust and passenger pegs down if needed; not sure how satisfactory this ends up.

Personally, I'd insist on one with ABS.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The 1250 Bandit engine is extremely torquey, pulls from ~2,000 rpm, very satisfying and quick.

The bike handles incredibly well, is easy to ride. If you have long legs, you have to lower the pegs or install a taller seat.

Comment

I already replied to your PM but take a look at the thread I started last year when I bought it if you'd like

Also check out the Anybody go for a ride today thread and you'll see some of my posts with it in there
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies (and the PM Scott)!

I sat on one today that I really liked. I've already got 90% approval to buy it from the finance dept (i.e. wife), but just need to get it to the finish.

Good luck!

Comment

Very good and under rated bike, which to me means good bang for the buck! Big bores never get old until you do. I mod everything, and these respond very well to minor mods.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
            X