Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought riding in AZ heat was a biatch!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought riding in AZ heat was a biatch!!

I would much prefer riding than pushing!! Carbs were dirty again and idle was crappy so I pulled them out and gave them a quick clean and reinstalled. Yay ... time for a test ride or two .

Bike is acting weird so I go to return home and make a turn about 5 miles away and hear a pop and See nice black smoke come out from under my gas tank.

It was good and black so I thought .. crap .. its bad but that is probably electrical so I can fix it but ..

Now its 109F when it stops, there is absolutely no shade and the sun is beating on my head to the point its making me dizzy and .. I got to get the bike home.

Im 56 yr old and not nearly the studly dude I as even 20 years ago. Pushing that bike in that heat under the Harsh AZ sun in slip on shoes with no socks ... I thought I was going to die!!

Turns out when I put everything together I didnt move the wire that skirts along under the air box from the ignition. IT rubbed on the negative battery terminal until it ate through the casing. It fired that wire and a long length of wire leading up to the headlamp. Damn I wish a fuse had blown before frying all the wires!

Determined what the problems are but its 110 out there now and I think I fired my brain in that long walk home pushing. Someone in a truck stopped to offer help but I was to proud to take it but I did take some water they offered. If not .. I may have been a bad AZ stupid story.

Five miles in 109F temps is a Long way to push a 750. Been there with a 1150. heh Should have taken the ride.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Really, WOW!
      Last Sunday morning my GS1100G stopped running. I'd only push it home if it was like 2-3 blocks down hill.
      I get a ride home, hitch up my trailer with bike hauling chuck bolted down, go back and bring the bike home the sensible way.
      Only work on broken down vehicles at home, never by the roadside.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        ...109F temps is a Long way to push a 750.
        Ah, but was there any humidity?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Ah, but was there any humidity?
          Lol.. It was a dry heat. I know because at some point I was sure my hair was going to burst into flames!

Comment

Please...next time don't be so dang proud and accept some help. We don't want to hear of your death on this board. I've been in Phoenix when it was that hot and I sure as heck would not want to be pushing a motorcycle.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

It'll certainly help to deter you from making THAT mistake again.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I'm less than half your age, and aint no way in hell I'm walking my GS for a mile, let alone 5, and definitely not in 109 degree heat.

As to your wire self-immolating, I've made that mistake before, and now I'm very careful about how I put everything back together around the battery.
                1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

I can sorta remember back when I was your age. Vaguely remember being Rust's age, too. Have never liked pushing a bike any farther than just enough to get it out of the way. Never more than just a few feet, even if someone was helping me.

As Buffalo Bill said, get it off the road, out of the way, go home, get a trailer, come back to get it. Even if you had to walk home, that is far more survivable than pushing a bike.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got your 10,000 steps in then. Woop!
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

LOL .. its funny now but .. whew .. I should know better. Every year we lose a bunch of people to the heat. Avid hikers or out of town people dont realize that blazing sun is a killer because there is no humidity. You dont feel all sweaty so you dont think its that hot. Unless of course you try and touch anything that has been outside for 2 minutes!

I dont have a trailer or a hitch on my car but I there is a local uhaul and I think I could have pushed it up into one of their 19.99 small box trucks. It was brutal out there and you couldnt touch the seat since it was blazing hot. The water came just in time because I felt my heart racing.

I think next time I will leave it where it is. Hate to have it stolen but I do have some theft insurance on it and it wouldnt take that long to rent a uhaul. Unfortunatly I think like so many other things ... my pushing days have come and gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                        LOL .. its funny now but .. whew .. I should know better. Every year we lose a bunch of people to the heat. Avid hikers or out of town people dont realize that blazing sun is a killer because there is no humidity. You dont feel all sweaty so you dont think its that hot. Unless of course you try and touch anything that has been outside for 2 minutes!

I dont have a trailer or a hitch on my car but I there is a local uhaul and I think I could have pushed it up into one of their 19.99 small box trucks. It was brutal out there and you couldnt touch the seat since it was blazing hot. The water came just in time because I felt my heart racing.

I think next time I will leave it where it is. Hate to have it stolen but I do have some theft insurance on it and it wouldnt take that long to rent a uhaul. Unfortunatly I think like so many other things ... my pushing days have come and gone.
                        UHaul seems to have bike trailers now, but Just 10 years ago a UHaul desk curmudgeon would not rent me a trailer of any kind to haul a bike!!!
                        I have a utility trailer that's very useful for hauling all kinds of things, use it allot for lumber. Indispensable for my renovation business.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          UHaul seems to have bike trailers now, but Just 10 years ago a UHaul desk curmudgeon would not rent me a trailer of any kind to haul a bike!!!
                          I have a utility trailer that's very useful for hauling all kinds of things, use it allot for lumber. Indispensable for my renovation business.
                          I drive a 2003 Crown vic .. LOVE THAT CAR .. but no hitch. I got the idea of uhaul because a guy in the retirement community I live in was moving two bikes and he got the smallest box truck with a ramp and him and a buddy ran the bikes into the truck and ratchet strapped it to the side rails inside.

I have the number of a good motorcycle tow guy but its not exactly cheap and it could be up to 8 hours before he can pick up your bike. For a couple of bucks I might try the box truck idea or .. throw a hitch on my car.

Comment

Consider joining AAA then you're covered everywhere. The package adding bikes is a few bucks more but not a lot......
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                              I drive a 2003 Crown vic .. LOVE THAT CAR .. but no hitch. I got the idea of uhaul because a guy in the retirement community I live in was moving two bikes and he got the smallest box truck with a ramp and him and a buddy ran the bikes into the truck and ratchet strapped it to the side rails inside.

I have the number of a good motorcycle tow guy but its not exactly cheap and it could be up to 8 hours before he can pick up your bike. For a couple of bucks I might try the box truck idea or .. throw a hitch on my car.
                              All three of my cars have hitches (even though the manual says not to tow with my two Scions). They are really handy to have when you need one for the occasional tow.
                              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                              X