1150 EF Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 EF Question

Did the 1150EF come with a lower fairing, belly pan in the US?
    I thought I read somewhere that it did not.

Thanks
    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
    New project 1979 GS1000S
    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

No, just the mid panels. It is shown as an option in US parts fische if I recall. It was also called an 1150es here.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks.
      Any weak points I should look for when shopping for one?
      Parts availability still good?
      1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
      New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Typical GS electrics. Other then body work, parts availability is still good, but always expect to place an order.
        I have read that the frames are somewhat easily bent (im pretty certain mine is tweaked) so try to find one that hasn't been crashed. They seem to come up fairy regularly and at a good price in Canada. Derwood, a member here had one for sale recently, with suspension uogrades if I recall.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Thanks again.
          New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

I've read in old reviews mention of a bad /annoying vibration at cruising speeds , care to weigh in on that
            New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Yes.... it’s buzzy, especially compared to an 1100. The factory service manual notes different weight bar ends on different years, in I’m assuming, an attempt to address it. Also l, I found the factory clip on handlebars to be at an odd angle. I run adjustable aftermarket ones. Despite its size, some tall guys feel cramped on it. I’m about 5’9, and I’m generally ok. My legs typically need a stretch after an hour- hour and a half though. A good carb synch definitely makes a noticeable difference in the buzz- I was surprised at how much it helped... but still somewhat buzzy.
              sigpic

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Yes.... it’s buzzy, especially compared to an 1100. The factory service manual notes different weight bar ends on different years, in I’m assuming, an attempt to address it. Also l, I found the factory clip on handlebars to be at an odd angle. I run adjustable aftermarket ones. Despite its size, some tall guys feel cramped on it. I’m about 5’9, and I’m generally ok. My legs typically need a stretch after an hour- hour and a half though. A good carb synch definitely makes a noticeable difference in the buzz- I was surprised at how much it helped... but still somewhat buzzy.

I'm only 5 10 myself, so at shouldn't be a problem. How bad s the buzz? Numb hands bad? Again thanks.
                New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                  I'm only 5 10 myself, so at shouldn't be a problem. How bad s the buzz? Numb hands bad? Again thanks.
                  I rode my 85 1150EF for three years and 52,000 miles back and forth from FL to NC and WV and other places. Most of my rides were nonstop from south Fl to NC and WV. My bike did not buzz at all and I never had numb hands even with 18 hours straight in the saddle. There are two things that must be done to eliminate the buzz. The carb synch must not be just good, it must be absolutely perfect and jetting needs to be spot on with no flat spots on reving up and no decel popping on reducing throttle. Make sure the ignition timing is spot on. Once you have that sorted, assuming you have done the conversion to #530 chain, change the sprockets to 16-44. That will change the rpm at expressway speeds so the engine will be operating below the dynamic resonance range in extended cruise mode. The bike turns into a sewing machine as far as vibration is concerned. You can put a champagne glass on the tank at 80 mph and there will not be a ripple in your champagne. Oh, and I am about 5'10 and the bike was a perfect fit for me. Very comfortable. With that tuning and gearing, at a constant 75 mph, gas mileage was always 43 miles per gallon in level country. If I rode on state roads and kept to 55-60 mph, mileage increased to 52mpg. At 45 mph, it was 56 mpg.
                  Last edited by earlfor; 08-05-2019, 01:16 AM.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Earl. I saved your post for future reference... Clearly my bike is not as finely tuned as yous was. I did take what, if I recall correctly, was your advice to do the synch closer to cruising rpm, then what the manual recommended, and I know my jetting (K&N pods / jet kit, installed per direction, and Yoshi exhaust) could benefit from further tuning.
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      I rode my 85 1150EF for three years and 52,000 miles back and forth from FL to NC and WV and other places. Most of my rides were nonstop from south Fl to NC and WV. My bike did not buzz at all and I never had numb hands even with 18 hours straight in the saddle. There are two things that must be done to eliminate the buzz. The carb synch must not be just good, it must be absolutely perfect and jetting needs to be spot on with no flat spots on reving up and no decel popping on reducing throttle. Make sure the ignition timing is spot on. Once you have that sorted, assuming you have done the conversion to #530 chain, change the sprockets to 16-44. That will change the rpm at expressway speeds so the engine will be operating below the dynamic resonance range in extended cruise mode. The bike turns into a sewing machine as far as vibration is concerned. You can put a champagne glass on the tank at 80 mph and there will not be a ripple in your champagne. Oh, and I am about 5'10 and the bike was a perfect fit for me. Very comfortable. With that tuning and gearing, at a constant 75 mph, gas mileage was always 43 miles per gallon in level country. If I rode on state roads and kept to 55-60 mph, mileage increased to 52mpg. At 45 mph, it was 56 mpg.
                      Thanks. Sounds good.
                      New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        Thanks Earl. I saved your post for future reference... Clearly my bike is not as finely tuned as yous was. I did take what, if I recall correctly, was your advice to do the synch closer to cruising rpm, then what the manual recommended, and I know my jetting (K&N pods / jet kit, installed per direction, and Yoshi exhaust) could benefit from further tuning.
                        Yep. I did a normal carb synch at idle rpm and set that as close to perfect as I could. With stock 15-45 sprockets, and cruising 70 mph or so, I was in the resonant vibration range which was strongest between 4400 and 5000 rpm. (if I remember correctly) That was why I did the 2nd synch for 42-4300 rpm. Changing sprockets to 16-44 meant my rpm at 75 mph or so was around 42-4300rpm which was just below the resonant point and my tuning was to make the engine run smoothest at the rpm and speed I used the most. It reduced rider fatigue on trips by maybe 80%. It turned a three hour bike into a 18 hour enjoyable lounge chair. heh My only limitation was how long I could stay awake. It was never muscle fatigue or numb hands, soreness.
                        Last edited by earlfor; 08-05-2019, 12:32 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm running 17/45 530 combo, not sure how I chose that , but it feels nice at 65 plus and everywhere else in the rpm range.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                            I'm running 17/45 530 combo, not sure how I chose that , but it feels nice at 65 plus and everywhere else in the rpm range.
                            Stock 15/45 is a 3:1
                            16/44 is 2.75:1
                            17/45 is 2.64:1 which would make rpm slightly lower for the same mph than the other two. Or think of it as the engine turns 2.65 revolutions every time the rear wheel turns 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                              Definitely the post of the day! 🌞
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X