She lives !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She lives !

My old 79 GS750 failed her MOT seven years ago on head bearings, so was parked up in my garage while I ordered new bearings. Got those, intended to get em fitted but somehow never got around to it, so there she sat gathering dust all those years. Just last week I was having a sort out in the garage and cleared enough junk out the way so I could get a good look at her. Despite the neglect, love that bike, so thought about time to get off my backside and get her sorted out. Purely out of interest, thought I would see if she would still start before I get stuck into stripping her down for a re-build. The battery of course was totally dead, but discovered I had drained the tank and carbs when I first parked her up (which I can`t even remember doing). Stuck the battery on a trickle charger, though did`nt expect it would recover from such a long time of being flat, but much to my surprise it did. So today, put a bit of petrol in the tank, popped the battery in and turned the ignition on. Ignition light came on ok, so pressed the starter. Engine turned over a couple of times and bingo, she fired right up !. Sounded as smooth as the day she was parked up too. These old GS`s are amazing !!.

Obviously, I am not intending riding the bike yet, there is an awful lot of work to do to get it road legal again. Head bearings need fitting, brakes need stripping and re-building, new lines etc. Tyres are bound to be shot, so new ones needed. Forks and rear shocks seem ok, so maybe just need the old oil replacing. Electrics too, need to clean up and check all those. Engine wise, not sure. Full oil and filter change needed for sure, I should maybe do the top end strip down, full carb strip etc, but to be honest am tempted to leave alone giving how well it ran today. Just wondered what you guys think ?. Still absolutely amazed at how well she fired up and ran today, as I said before, love that bike !!.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

No need to strip the top end down, just check valve clearances.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Great to see you post especially with such good news as starting an old bike. I'd check those valve clearences, change fork, engine oil and bleed out the brake fluid till it runs clear. New tyres and a battery are in order of course. My batteries don't last much longer than 5 years so that is pretty good it took a bit of a charge. If nothing else is leaking and she charges 14.2 volts or more, you may have gotten lucky. As an experment, let your HD 883 sit for 7 years and see if it will start up that easy. In the name of motorcycle science........Nice to see you posting! Say hi to Dawn!
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks Steve, I think the valve clearances were due for a check when I parked her up, so will check those as she did sound a bit tappety. Hi Charlie, had to chuckle about the Harley, that would be interesting but I think we both know the answer to that one. Already had more problems with it in the two years I`ve owned it than I`ve had with my GS`s and CX500 in the 25+ years I`ve owned them !!. I was amazed that battery took any charge at all, believe it or not it is still holding it too. Unfortunately, my intended start on getting the old girl back on the road is delayed. I was lying on the garage floor to get at the sump plug, figuring it worth changing the old oil before running the engine again. Started to wrench, then there was a nasty tearing sound and excrutiating pain in my shoulder. Found I couldn't move my arm at all without it hurting like hell. So after three hours down at A&E, have my arm in a sling and told to not try using it till I see the physio on Wednesday. Think I`ve torn a ligament or muscle. Maybe the bike was getting her own back for me ignoring her all those years !. Dawn says to say hi to you too.
        "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
        1978 GS750
        1979 GS750 chop
        1979 GS550
        2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
        2000 Enfield Bullet 500
        1992 XV750 Virago
        2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
        X