Newbie question on ‘81/82 GS850 version differences and interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question on ‘81/82 GS850 version differences and interchange

Good morning. New potential owner here, thank you in advance for the help and coaching on my questions.

I am looking at a couple bikes and I’m wondering if the trim, seats, fenders etc. are all interchangeable between the G and GL? Are the hard mounting points on the frame all the same? Can you swap out bars from one to the other, how about seats etc.?

To be even more specific-I have a GL that I am getting close to buying but am unsure if I’m going to love the handlebar positioning, I want to make sure I’m not making a mistake if I decide to change anything later. Another example of the specifics on looking for is the GL obviously has a different seat and I’m not sure if I can swap out the GL seat for one from the G.

Thanks!

G and GL are very different machines. I believe the engines are the same, but body parts are not and dont interchange. I think there are frame differences as well in relation to seat and tank mounting.
    Others more knowledgeable (Steve) will surely check in shortly.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      G and GL are very different machines. I believe the engines are the same, but body parts are not and dont interchange. I think there are frame differences as well in relation to seat and tank mounting.
      Good morning and thanks for the fast and helpful response.

Fantastic forum BTW (not that you need to hear that from me obviously), I've already learned quite a bit from prior threads here.

Thanks!

Comment

Don't buy a GL (or L) if you plan on riding for any extended periods of time. The standard G (or E) models are much more comfortable for serious riding. Handlebars, footpeg location, and seat design are all much more user-friendly on the non-L models.

The L models were designed for what was considered good looks at the time, and were for the Saturday night cruising around town club.

But they do not lack "Chromey Goodness" (see my sig line).
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

In my experience with my L

My 1983 GS850GL -
          I find the bars just fine for me-
          I leaned them back a bit and made it super comfortable -
          My longest day thus far has been 525 miles - but I could do more if I had too.
          I bought an extra seat pan on eBay and sent it to Diamond Custom Seats and had a NICE seat built with a backrest ($660) -
          I have been adding creature comforts here and there over time -
          The one thing we can not change easily is the smaller fuel tank - but stopping every 135-150 miles for fuel adn stretch isn't too awful anyway -
          My other bike - the Goldwing - has a range of 225 -250 miles so that can sometimes be a long way between stops
          Engine components seem to be largely interchangeable - but body & frame parts not so much in my experience
          But one CAN modify the "L" enough to make it a great bike -
          Others with more specific knowledge will be along soon to fill in the many gaps

Welcome
          Attached Files

Comment

Good morning gentlemen, thank you for the thoughtful responses.

I should probably sketch out what I’m looking to do with the bike to help get specific coaching on if I’m making a good decision here:

- I like vintage things that move and I am comfortable turning wrenches on machines from this time. Enjoy having to do the research on what does/doesn’t work and really knowing the car/bike for having put hands on it.

- this will be for fun rather than serious transportation, meaning it’s a run around and shorter hop sort of used bike for me. I doubt I’ll put more than 100 miles in one sitting on it but it will see freeway use in bursts because that’s unavoidable where I live in SoCal. Basically looking to have it be enjoyable to run down interesting roads in the back part of orange county and still be usable to run errands or meet people for a bite to eat.

- I will not be carrying passengers on it so don’t need the king/queen set up that a stock GL seat has, I prefer the way the seat looks on a regular one. I can easily flatfoot the GL however, and I like being able to do that.

- The bars on the GL were new to me but I immediately adapted to it and was able to ride it at a range of speeds, including low speed parking lot, very comfortably. I like the work of the more traditional bar set up but pretty sure I can swap that out at some point if indeed I ever feel the need to.

- I like the aesthetics of a standard bike more than how a GL looks out of the box, but that’s really down to the bars in the seat.

- I doubt I’ll ever be dragging foot pegs on a bike like this based on how I’m going to ride it

OK - so there it is! Any thoughts or coaching based on that additional information?

Thank you again. I was kind of shocked at how much I immediately took to the GS. I was looking at CB 750s but, well, let me just say that I am focused on GSs now.

Comment

At freeway speeds (75 mph) my MPGs drop to around 35 -
              That means 135 miles to REServe - then another 25ish to walking.
              At more conservative speeds I have seen as high as 47 MPG but typical and usual is low 40's (40-44)
              The L has a 3.5 gallon to REServe according to my bikes tank then about 9/10ths of usable fuel -- there will be some left in the tank ..but why press your luck?
              For what you are doing -- the L will work well in my opinion -
              They handle well and run fine once sorted out (which you confess to like to do)

On mine the list of upgrades is LONG -
              Many because I can -- not that I needed to:
              Custom Seat
              Add GPS -
              Add Voltmeter -
              Add under seat electric transfer panel - my electrical gizmos run off relays and not on the battery post
              Add driving light
              Add extra running & brake lights to the rear (the lights are because I live in deer country and ride in the dark)
              Add Vista cruise throttle lock (the one to get -- it works)
              Add grip puppies to make them larger diameter (had these in 'inventory' from other bikes)
              Add longer stemmed mirrors

Had help with New valve seals - and gaskets from base UP

New stator
              New sh775 Regulator/Rectifier
              New Coils - Plugs - Wires - Caps
              New AGM battery (this week)

rebuilt all calipers
              New brake pads
              Added SS brake lines (do this!)

Tires currently are Michelin Commander II (I think our L's are the only model that can use them)

Shad 37 Liter Top Case on luggage rack
              Shad 23L side cases (with the correct 3 point system mount they bolt right on)
              All removeable & lockable

Windscreen is National Cycle but was on bike when I purchased it

rebuilt front shocks
              New Sonic Springs
              New Seals - Dust Seals - Sliders - Oil
              New Hagon rear shocks

YES- I am WAY upside down on this bike -- but a Hobby isn't supposed to be profitable

pardon me for over-sharing
              Attached Files

Comment

No apologies needed - great stuff and looks like very well chosen modifications.

For around town riding do you think the GL will actually be more comfortable?

Comment

Originally posted by Tdskio View Post
                  No apologies needed - great stuff and looks like very well chosen modifications.

For around town riding do you think the GL will actually be more comfortable?
                  Personally for me :
                  I prefer the GS850GL for commuting and around town more than my '02 GL1800 Goldwing
                  Smaller - more maneuverable - Fun at 50 MPH (riding a slow bike fast is a blast)
                  Downsides vs the Wing - Wind protection
                  Now that Fall is arriving here in Wisconsin with cool mornings (58 today at 8AM) the Wing is a better ride for keeping warm
                  Right now the Wing is in the parking lot due to the cold - but there will be days to ride the L too.
                  However I DID ride Kaizen for a week long 2500 mile road trip in June -
                  More of a 'proof of concept' than anything else culminating in a rainy weekend at the Brown County Rally

I have owned a lot of motorcycles in my history --
                  Several variants of the Goldwing -- GL1800 (2) -- GL1500 (2) GL1200- GL1100
                  3 - CX500's
                  GS 650GL

Never a GS - G version so comparing is difficult ?

Comment

Very helpful - thanks!

Comment

Changing the bars so something lower is no problem (and recommended). Getting shorter cables at the same time is recommended partly because new cables are a thing of beauty and partly because rerouting to account for the extra length of the L cables is a hassle and never ideal. That leaves the seat. Some people here have "de L'ed" their seats with good results. You just need a decent upholstery shop to do it.

BTW, there are a few So Calif GSR folks kicking around that can help from time to time if you get stuck. Good luck with your project and please read the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature so you know in advance what to look out for.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you Ed, appreciate the info. Sounds like I can make some easy tweaks as needed, while leaving the hard points as-is since they are set up for my type of riding anyway.

Leaving the seat as is except shaving it and getting it recovered is a very clever idea.

(and really now, how massive of a dope slap what I deserve if my first post here was talking about buying a bike that had me moving the hard points around ?)
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          Threaten and ye shall receive.

As others have mentioned, most of the differences are aesthetic, except for the smaller tank on the L. If you don't mind stopping before hitting the 150-mile mark, it's not that much of a problem.

As far as comfort, it basically comes down to seating position and handlebar position. Handlebars are relatively cheap and easy to change. As Nessism mentioned, new cables are also advised. I have no problem with the overall position of the L bars, but the handgrips are at a VERY awkward angle, making them almost painful. My wife's bike (click on link in sig below) has bars from a 1980 KZ1300B (a one-year-only model). Shape is similar to the L bars, but they are very comfortable. In fact, the bars on my Wing have about the same rise as L bars, but the steering neck is real low, so the rise is necessary to get the bars up to a "normal" ride height. This also depends on whether you plan on using a windshield. With a shield, the taller bars aren't all that bad, but if you don't plan on a shield, lower bars are pretty much mandatory.

Seating is another matter. The stock seat is pretty much a torture device. Some don't like it for the fact that it locks you into a forward position. I don't care for it because it is rounded opposite to my butt. A different seat does wonders for comfort. Again, refer to the picture of my wife's bike in my sig. Wingsconsin has also installed a different seat for comfort. There are also many here that don't care for the bucket seat because it also locks you into position, so you can't change positions to relieve pressure. What some of them don't realize is that the bucket seat prevents those pressures in the first place, so there is no need.

As far as handling, the G and the L are virtually the same. The steering geometry and wheelbase are all the same, the engine is the same. The L does have a slightly taller ratio in the transmission, but it only compensates for the 16" rear wheel. Any differences in performance will be related to ergonomics and how the rider fits on the bike.

We have had several 850s in the stable over the years. Most were "catch and release", but we have kept a couple of them as keepers. Great bikes, whichever flavor you choose.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi, I currently own both a G and GL.

If you don't care too much about having the classic muscle bike look, the GL would be just fine. I've been riding a rusty old 1980 GS850GL for the past 6 years or so. Not good looking, not horrible looking, but very _very_ fun to ride. It's not great for road-tripping due to the somewhat uncomfortable seat and small gas tank. But I mainly commute to work on my GL anyway, long trips are not my thing.

The biggest improvement I made to my GL was to replace the stock handlebars with smaller ones. I ended up with aftermarket bars, don't remember which ones. They're a little bit smaller than the stock G bars but for that bike they are perfect. The riding position and handling is so much better. I needed to get a shorter clutch cable as well, I believe I ordered one for a GS1000S.

To answer part of your original question, the main parts that the G and GL have in common are that they usually have identical engines, drivetrains, brakes, and electrical systems within the same year. And a few other minor bits here and there like signal lights and levers and such. Bodywork and most everything else is completely different.

As far as handling goes, there is not a great deal of difference between the G and GL, except that the G has a higher center of gravity which makes for more nimble steering. The GL's center of gravity is lower in comparison and the bike feels more sure-footed to me.

Although it's possible to find a great deal on a G, they're a bit rare these days. But you can nab GLs for cheap all day long. Except for being a really solid motorcycle, they're unremarkable in almost possible every way and are not very sought after.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              I've been riding a rusty old 1980 GS850GL ... It's not great for road-tripping due to the somewhat uncomfortable seat and small gas tank.
                              That difference exists in all years, but is the greatest in the 1980 model. The '80 850L was a one-year-only model, and, according to the factory service manual, had a fuel tank capacity of 3.4 gallons. The '81-'83 850Ls had a greater capacity of 4.5 gallons. All years of the G had tanks that would hold 5.8 gallons.

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              ..., the main parts that the G and GL have in common are that they usually have identical engines, drivetrains, brakes, and electrical systems within the same year. And a few other minor bits here and there like signal lights and levers and such. Bodywork and most everything else is completely different.
                              Except for paint and stripe colors, the '79-'81 G bodywork is all the same. The '82/'83 bodywork is different than the earlier years, but these two years are the same. For some reason, the L had a different model year break. It was not introduced until '80, but the '81 had new bodywork that continued through the '83 model year.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X