No announcement yet.

Newbie question on ‘81/82 GS850 version differences and interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I'll mention about comfort and G/GL; the GL works better for the more vertically challenged folks. I'm 6'1" and Steve is a fair bit taller than that. I can get somewhat comfortable on a GL, but I much prefer my G. Steve looks like a folded up spider, especially on his wife's lowered GL...

However, folks under that height have an easier time reaching the ground and seem to get along well with the GL.

Then again, Wingsconsin is a pretty tall guy and he likes his GL just fine, and I know of a few other folks around 6 feet who have felt perfectly compatible with their GL.

Changing the handlebars is widely regarded as mandatory, and it's a relatively minor task. Any 7/8" handlebar will work; many end up with a "Daytona" bend.

All the above said, despite the slightly lower seat, the G and GL really do handle nearly identically. It really surprised me the first few times I rode a GL; I expected it to be different, but I was pretty much immediately at home. Suzuki figured out a lot of stuff about handling and geometry YEARS before anyone else, and the 850+ shafties really shine in this way.

To answer your questions: the bodywork, seat, tank, instruments, and forks are not compatible between the G and GL. The brake caliper brackets are different, but the calipers are the same. I believe the master cylinders may be a bit different, depending on the years involved. The cables and brake lines are different lengths. The rear wheel on most GLs is 16" and the rear wheel on the G is 17" (although putting a 16" wheel on a G has been done; I think you have to make sure the brake rotor lines up.)

The exhausts are different, but a GL's shorter exhaust will work on a G; there's a bit more growl, but still pretty civilized, and I believe you need to make a simple mounting bracket or spacer. Carbs and engine are interchangeable, but there are several detail differences (mechanical vs. electronic advancers, for example: the G went electronic in '82, the GL in '83). IIRC, in some years of GL, the 5th gear ratio is slightly different.

Not an exhaustive list, of course.

So in the end, the real answer is, as usual, "it depends" on exactly what parts you want to swap.
    Last edited by bwringer; 09-05-2019, 03:05 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Super helpful responses gentlemen, very much appreciated.

Hopefully closing on a bike later today - pictures and details forthcoming!

Comment

Working...
      X