Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at the 2019 Yamaha FJR1300A. Any experience, opinions appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the 2019 Yamaha FJR1300A. Any experience, opinions appreciated.

I love my ZX14 but the ergo's are getting to me as I get older and opening it up now and then is probably going to kill me.
    I need something a little tamer and easier on my back and wrists. The FJR seems like a nice bike that's been around and I'd think has any bugs worked out by now. It's still fun to accelerate (144 HP) and is supposed to handle decently. I don't want a full out touring bike. The FJR is heavier than I'm used to but I think I'd be OK with it. It has cruise control, an adjustable windshield, heated grips, 6.6 gal' tank and a fair amount of luggage space. On my 14, my right wrist starts to hurt after an hour or so and I wear a day pack to carry a few things. So in comparing them, the comfort level will be going way up. I haven't read anything really negative about the bike. I like to do my own maintenance and the valve clearance check is at 26,600 miles, a lot better than some bikes. I guess my biggest concern is the weight (653 lbs) and how it will feel.
    If any of you own one, especially a 3rd gen', I'd like to know what you think of the bike? Also, if you bought new, what kind of discounts did you get? The 2019 msrp with destination charge, is $16,800. I'm hoping to get about $1,500 taken off. Reasonable? And if you know when Yamaha will release the 2020's?
    Thanks for any help.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Hi Keith. I have a Gen II (2012). This year is the second riding season for me on the motorcycle. Yes, it is a bit on the heavy side as far as pushing it around the garage. But on the road it handles superbly. A lot of guys on the FJR forum modify the riding position like with "Bar Backs" of some sort. Another thing folks will do is ditch the factory seat for one of them "Day Long" seats. Mine came with a Corbin, it lowers the seat height for me but I hardly have any padding. I use a sheep fur pad... I lust for a Gen III when I was thinking about a FJR, the dealer had a 2016 he wanted around 14 thousand for it. I picked mine up from a older gentleman that wanted to downsize. I paid $7,500 it had 26,000 miles on it. Oh, another peeve, no self canceling turn signals! Heck my 79 GS has canceling turn signals. Anyway, the FJR is a fantastic Sport Touring motorcycle... and half the maintenance cost of a BMW 🌞
    Attached Files
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The FJR was on the top of my list until I rode it and felt how heavy it was in the driveway (almost dropped twice just turning it around) which is why I chose the Bandit instead. It's a nice bike while riding though and really has some get up and go that belies the weight.

Go for it if you want; just be prepared for the weight up high when doing any slow moving turns like the driveway/u-turns
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My brother has one. 2008. He did the bar set backs and went with a Sargent seat. I've ridden it several times and while yes, heavier than my Bandit 1250, it was a pure pleasure to ride. Smooth and tons of torque on demand. If I was going to do longer rides than my daily jaunts, it would be my bike of choice.
        1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
        2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
        2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them.
          I doubt I could ever do an Iron Butt ride. Maybe start off with something easier, like a Balsa wood Butt ride?
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Go for it if you want; just be prepared for the weight up high when doing any slow moving turns like the driveway/u-turns
            A friend bought one a few years ago, I that's what I thought.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
            1979 GS1000

Comment

Have a look at the Concours 14 too. Your ZX14 with better ergos and bags. After a flash it is 150-ish RWHP and a blast to ride. The seat probably could use changing if you are after 700 mile days but 400 is OK.. and they are CHEAP used.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                Have a look at the Concours 14 too. Your ZX14 with better ergos and bags. After a flash it is 150-ish RWHP and a blast to ride. The seat probably could use changing if you are after 700 mile days but 400 is OK.. and they are CHEAP used.
                I looked into the Concours 14. With the factory $1,000 cash off, it's the same price as the FJR, but $1,000 isn't going to make up my mind. Going from my ZX14 to ANY "sport touring" bike will be a shock in terms of style, but the FJR somehow looks less bulky and I can see myself on it more. The FJR is already 150 lbs more than what I'm used to, but the Concours is another 40 lbs over that. I'm not sure about the Concours having cruise control either.
                I moved to southern Utah a few years ago and have noticed there are way less dealers. I have only one nearby and their website says they have one FJR1300A. I plan to at least sit on it and try to get a feel for the weight. The FJR's lowest seat position is only .2" higher than my ZX14, but on the 14 I'm on the balls of my feet with the bike straight up. Still steady and comfortable, but I don't know how steady I'd be with another 150 lbs. Plus, the older I get (62 now) the weight may become even more of a problem. I plan to keep the new bike a good 10 years. I hope weight isn't a real problem because I'd probably have to give up on the whole touring bike thing. The FJR is about as light as I'm going to find in the sport touring class.
                Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                  I looked into the Concours 14. With the factory $1,000 cash off, it's the same price as the FJR, but $1,000 isn't going to make up my mind. Going from my ZX14 to ANY "sport touring" bike will be a shock in terms of style, but the FJR somehow looks less bulky and I can see myself on it more. The FJR is already 150 lbs more than what I'm used to, but the Concours is another 40 lbs over that. I'm not sure about the Concours having cruise control either.
                  I moved to southern Utah a few years ago and have noticed there are way less dealers. I have only one nearby and their website says they have one FJR1300A. I plan to at least sit on it and try to get a feel for the weight. The FJR's lowest seat position is only .2" higher than my ZX14, but on the 14 I'm on the balls of my feet with the bike straight up. Still steady and comfortable, but I don't know how steady I'd be with another 150 lbs. Plus, the older I get (62 now) the weight may become even more of a problem. I plan to keep the new bike a good 10 years. I hope weight isn't a real problem because I'd probably have to give up on the whole touring bike thing. The FJR is about as light as I'm going to find in the sport touring class.
                  Thanks for the reply.
                  No cruise on the C14. For sure dealers are folding at a rapid pace. My local dealer has replaced the bikes with 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, and say they are doing a lot better. They have a few bikes in the corner, some new and 4 years old. I am a couple years older than you, and was terrified about the weight. But it is an easily learned skill. The C14 is the same motor as the ZX14, with a lower powerband and VVT. And needs a $800 valve adjustment at 25k like the ZX14. Look around, there are really good deals on leftover bikes. Example: https://www.cycletrader.com/New-Kawa...rt=price%3Aasc Still time to fly in and ride home.
                  sigpic
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260

Comment

BTW 15-19 are the exact same bike except colors.
                    sigpic
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260

Comment

The FJR is lighter but the Connie 14 does everything else better. Great bike for the value.
                      IMHO I really didn't like my C-14. It was just to cumbersome in low speed anything (which is all I do to get to my parking spot at work).
                      I'm 35 and its was a boat. Great for the tours... But I only do about 5-10K touring miles a year (15-30% of my riding season) for a daily ride it was just way too much bike.
                      I walked down the road trying all over sorts of bikes but if it's big miles you chase with comfort consider one of the old cheap Super Standards.
                      Scott's recommendation on the Bandit 1250 is sound if your looking a lighter sport touring style bike. All day comfort without the added heft. You want a more geared lighter sport tourer a GSX1250FA is awesome. ABS with full fairing for wind protection, comes standard with Suzuki saddle bags.
                      I picked up a cheap FZ1, got it back to snuff and last week I put over 1200 miles just riding around on my free time. The Liter Standard bikes make great light duty sport tourers, with full luggage you can go across country with them... I intend to next year with mine. I'm no isle of man but I do have 80K miles ridden on these bikes and I seem to keep coming back to it. Yamaha nailed it with the FZ1.

Best,
                      -Jedz
                      Jedz Moto
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2002 Honda Reflex 250
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                      2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                      Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them.
                        I sat on the FJR and the weight was noticeable but not a big deal. Of course that's just sitting on the bike. My feet were touching exactly as they are on my GS or 14.
                        I didn't like the matte blue paint at all. I wouldn't even consider a matte painted street bike. Maybe it's not fair to compare the overall finish to my 12 year old 14, but the FJR looks mechanical and somewhat unfinished when I look close. Wheels are black and plain, too many parts showing that don't look good such as hoses, linkages. The seat looks cheap, as though Yamaha fully expects you to trash it and buy their "comfort" seat for another $300. The rear tail/fender looks bad. No fender eliminator kits available. Only one hugger that I found. I don't know, maybe the dealer and the complete lack of excitement over the bike changed my mind. Only one dealer anywhere near me. He had little knowledge of what he was selling. No brochures. Only one color, so no choice. No info on when the 2020's were being released. And to tell you the truth, not much hope the 2020 will come out with a decent paint job. I guess I knew that these "sport tourers" weren't my style.
                        I'll have to think about other bikes like Jedz suggested. Maybe a "standard" or something out there that can be fitted with bags and a screen. I may even re-think my use of my 40 year old GS1000E. Since I semi-retired it in 2007 and bought my 14, all I've done is used it for short trips around town. The priority has been to conserve miles because I simply don't want to go through a major rebuild again like I did in 2000. Now that my preferred tire, Bridgestone Spitfires, has stopped making the 17" rear, I'm not sure what I'll do when I have to replace it or even what choices will still be available then. Things like that have made me ride it less and less.
                        But sitting on the FJR made me realize my GS is more comfortable and fits me perfect. Now I'm thinking with some decent soft bags, a new seat (which I've been wanting anyway), a lighter throttle spring to help my wrist and a new attitude to ride the old girl instead of preserving her, maybe touring on the GS would be better overall. I'd have to concede some speed compared to an FJR but I intend to keep highway miles to a minimum simply because I hate riding on highways in general. And I'd have to concede some "peace of mind" since I'd be on a 40 year old bike, but my GS is in great shape and has never let me down. If I did break down on the road at least I'd have a fair chance at fixing it compared to an FJR or any new bike.
                        Thanks again for the replies. Any other new bike suggestions are appreciated. I just can't see myself on a touring bike like the FJR or C14 now. I'm more interested in a standard bike like the FZ1 with touring attachments. The Bandit is OK but I don't like the idea of buying a bike that's been in a crate for 4 years. If nothing really fits me right, I'll stick with my GS.

Comment

Working...
                        X