Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for "soft bags" and /or backpack suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for "soft bags" and /or backpack suggestions.

Never thought I'd be asking for this kind of help, but I'd like to try some "light" touring on my GS1000. By "light" touring, I mean 1-4 days and 300 miles or less a day. If it doesn't work out, I'll look into a new touring bike.
    I'd like to know what soft bags you like? I don't want the hard luggage bags and brackets and I don't want to mount anything on my tank. Soft bags for the sides and maybe a bag that sits on the seat. Because I plan to keep the trips fairly short, I don't need a huge amount of storage space. I'd like to take along a few cables, smaller misc' stuff like bulbs, sparkplugs, fuses, flat repair kit, basic tools, towels... A couple changes of clothes, an extra light jacket, camera, 1 liter water bottle. I can imagine you start wanting to take all kinds of stuff with you but I think I could be happy with some small or medium size storage bags.
    I'm also interested in any backpacks you like. I have a Cortech pack but it doesn't have enough strap cushioning under the arms and gets uncomfortable after awhile. If you own a pack that's comfortable for all day and works well by itself or in combination with some soft bags, I'd like to know what you suggest.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

I have the Cortech saddle bags as well as the tail bag for my GS - I really like them and they fit everything i need for a long ride. In fact, I had some really nice clothes rolled up in large gallon sized ziploc bags when I rode it out to Fort Wayne Indiana a couple of years ago for work.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've had good luck with the Nelson-Rigg stuff. Got two sets of bags, small and large, plus a tail bag that buckles to the saddle bags.

Hard to see in this pic, but it was a good set up. These are the larger ones.

Red River Rally, KY by Bob Thieda, on Flickr
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

If you are logged in, try an advanced search. search for "saddle bags" in "posts" and "contained in title"

or maybe a link to my search will work for you...

Comment

I have a set of Wolfman's that I quite like

No signature :(

Comment

I am still using a 20 year old set of Givi expandable bags, small or large, you chose with a zipper.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I have two sets of these with the top bag and tank bag that my riding partner and I have used many time. I've done five day trips and had plenty of room for my stuff. They're inexpensive and have a bright yellow fold out cover which "helps in the rain" and is super bright for hi-viz. I ALWAYS pack my stuff in a kitchen size garbage bag for a second dependable layer of protection for heavy rain days on the road.

These use to be sold under the Classic Motogear brand/label but it appears Amazon may have picked them up and is selling them under Amazon Basic brand ... if there's such a thing as they don't mention Classic Motogear. The tank bag seems to be sold out on Amazon but frequently shows up on ebay. These are not huge bags but they certainly fit the bill for the trips I take.
              Last edited by Mr.humbucker; 09-29-2019, 12:56 PM.
              GS550T 1981
              GS850G 1983
              GS650G 1982
              GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

I appreciate the replies.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If you look at the "suggested" in that Amazon link. The Chase Harper bags look, and sound really nice. I may be trying them out myself...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I have a set of Cortech or Nelson rigg or something (they are all somewhat similar to what Bob posted on his 1100). They work well. I made a plate that goes behind the number plate that allows me to fix the rear fixings back there.

It's just a piece of aluminum strip bent into a U with a slot at each end. I can get you a picture if you like. You may be able to see the end of it in my sig...
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I appreciate all the help. Decided on a tail bag. I'm going to buy the Nelson-Rigg Commuter Sport. $89 at Amazon. 13 length x11 width x9 height when expanded (22 liters). Will mount to both my GS and my 14. Looks good and it'll hold enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X