Custom Seat Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Seat Recommendations

I want to put a more comfy seat on the GSX1100G. I would like to solicit recommendations if anybody has any. Thanks
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Can't help, I love the stock seat on my "91" Suzuki GSX1100G, it fits me pretty dang good. Also I see in your history that you had a 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX1100G & now have a 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX1100G again. Would you have a picture if it, I never remember seeing a Katana with a shaft drive.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Back in my day, Corbin Gentry was the aftermarket seat of choice.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I would recommend you check out Sargent Seat. They make real nice high quality motorcycle seats. Great people to deal with, and a quick turn around. They're kind of like the Corbin alternative. I had a Corbin seat before, I thought I'd give these guys a try. So far I like it very much.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Spring for leather.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

What's your budget?

Sargent is good, among the 'more-affordable' options. https://www.sargentcycle.com/

Seth Laam is rather highly regarded on some other forums. http://laamseats.com/

If price is no object, Russel Day-Long saddle. https://day-long.com/

Keep in mind that some people that see your custom saddle will comment that it's "butt-ugly". Others that see it will recognize it for what it is (the ultimate in riding comfort) and will compliment you on your choice.

My only personal experience is with Russel Day-Long and its predecessor, Mayer Day-Long. Excellent seats, definitely all-day comfort, like the name suggests. Mrs. Steve has a Travelcade on her 850L that is rather comfortable. A similar Travelcade seat on a G is simply too tall (even for me), making rather UNcomfortable. I have a Corbin on my Wing. It's "OK", but was made for someone else, so doesn't fit me like it should.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. The bike has a Sargent on it now and I am not satisfied with it. Better than stock but not quite there. I have a Russell Daylong on the FZ1 and love it but they are getting VERY expensive now. At least $100 more than when I bought it a few years ago. I hate Corbin seats. I've had three before and didn't like any of them. I put a Laam seat on the ZX11 and it was ok but not as good as the Russell. I was looking at the Mayer website last night and they look comfy but also expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

I guess so far I'm leaning towards Laam again. And I don't care if anybody else thinks it's butt ugly. :-)
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                Spring for leather.
                Do you think leather would make a big difference in comfort as opposed to vinyl?
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Can't help, I love the stock seat on my "91" Suzuki GSX1100G, it fits me pretty dang good. Also I see in your history that you had a 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX1100G & now have a 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX1100G again. Would you have a picture if it, I never remember seeing a Katana with a shaft drive.
                  On the title when I first bought the bike, it said Katana GSX1100G. It's the same thing you have only a '93. Maybe someone put that on there by mistake.
                  Attached Files
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

Just funn'in, knew there was a misprint or something going on. Just wondering how you could know if a seat would be comfortable, FOR YOU, without being able to try it out. And as rare as the GSX1100G is, you'll never find one to try. Can I say, do you feel lucky?
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Just funn'in, knew there was a misprint or something going on. Just wondering how you could know if a seat would be comfortable, FOR YOU, without being able to try it out. And as rare as the GSX1100G is, you'll never find one to try. Can I say, do you feel lucky?
                      Which is why I'm asking for recommendations from others who may have tried these other seats. ;-)
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

See the picture for a view of the custom seat

If you can source an extra seat pan (or use your existing) --

I sent an extra seat pan to Diamond Custom Seats for my '83 GS850GL -

They built me a very good long distance riding seat including a backrest for $660.

Sounds like a lot - but if your a$$ is uncomfortable your much more expensive motorcycle is not worth it either ..

I had them use their soft vinyl and it is fine - no sweaty butt - water resistant - and long lasting - still looks new to me after 3 seasons
                        Attached Files
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                          If you can source an extra seat pan (or use your existing) --

I sent an extra seat pan to Diamond Custom Seats for my '83 GS850GL -

They built me a very good long distance riding seat including a backrest for $660.

Sounds like a lot - but if your a$$ is uncomfortable your much more expensive motorcycle is not worth it either ..

I had them use their soft vinyl and it is fine - no sweaty butt - water resistant - and long lasting - still looks new to me after 3 seasons
                          I had thought of your seat but wasn't sure where you got it.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

I've had Corbin and Sargent, both were hard, the Corbin wasn't bad though. The Sargent was a bloody rock, and not in a good way either.

I had Baldwin redo a seat for my Buell, very nice , by far the best.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                            1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                            New project 1979 GS1000S
                            Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                              I had them use their soft vinyl and it is fine - no sweaty butt - water resistant...
                              What are the real world differences between vinyl and leather? Aside from cost, look and bragging rights, what about heat, sweat, rain, comfort, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                              X