Custom Seat Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnod View Post
    I've had Corbin and Sargent, both were hard, the Corbin wasn't bad though. The Sargent was a bloody rock, and not in a good way either.

I had Baldwin redo a seat for my Buell, very nice , by far the best.

https://www.facebook.com/BaldwinMotorbikeSaddles
    They look a lot like Russell Daylong.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      What are the real world differences between vinyl and leather? Aside from cost, look and bragging rights, what about heat, sweat, rain, comfort, etc.?
      From those who've had leather seats, the problem is mainly one of keeping it healthy and water proof. If it gets truly soaked (and there's always going to be a time...) it's a challenge to dry it out carefully and if you need to use it when wet, it might ruin it, I would think.
      On balance, unless I was living in an area where leatherworkers were cheap and abundant, I'd opt for vinyl.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My Russell Daylong on the FZ1, which is leather, came with a rain cover that I keep with the bike. Always put it on at night to keep moisture away. The leather feels and looks great, but even with protecting vigilantly like I do, it IS starting to get creases in it. I will opt for vinyl on the next purchase.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          What are the real world differences between vinyl and leather? Aside from cost, look and bragging rights, what about heat, sweat, rain, comfort, etc.?
          I have not had leather -
          But on my Goldwing(s) I usually use velour/vinyl combination
          The velour on top makes for a very comfortable seat - but remember the range is 200 miles + so HOURS
          Once it gets wet it sucks - it can stay wet for a full day after the rain - so.. rain gear on a nice day ? YES. Sometimes
          The vinyl today is soft, pliable, plush like and very comfortable -
          Rain resistant (not water proof) but good for a sweaty butt -
          Opinion follows:
          The secret to a good seat is width and support -
          getting a little lift under the legs and supporting the entire posterior helps a lot -
          Comfort starts with staying dry (no chafing)

I have run quite a few high mile days - 600-800 on the Wing is a very easy day

On the 850 my biggest day so far was 575 miles -- but I will increase that this year

Look into LD Comfort underwear -- I swear by it

I have a pair of Mens Riding Shorts under my jeans typically
          I rinse them out and hang them to dry at the hotel room for the next day
          I NEVER get chafing

LDComfort Riding Shorts provide the ultimate comfort for the long distance rider. Long sleeve shirts for cooling in temps up to 120 degrees. Think of how you will feel when you get there. Enjoy every mile.

Comment

Wow, Sargent has a seat cover for my bike, I'd have never guessed! I've grown rather accustomed to my mother-of-gorilla-tape seat but am considering restuffing it.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Working...
            X