why no self canceling signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why no self canceling signals?

A good place for this question. Suzuki started the self canceling turn signals in 1979, & worked pretty dang good, few rare problems, but nothing major. I thought this would be the new norm & a big improvement in the bike world. But instead of the other Mfg. stepping up, Suzuki went backwards & stopped using it. My "86" GS1150E still had it, but my "91" GSX1100G don't. Rekon they all quit in the same year & "WHY"??? I want it back.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Dont know. And I suppose nobody knows, but maybe have some guesses.

like, no international standard so that leaves manufactures open to liability lawsuits if someone claims the way it worked was a factor in their crash.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I'd heard that HD had a patent on self-cancelling turn signals and wouldn't license it to anyone else. That's why everyone else had to stop doing it, but HD has it to this day. But now I can't seem to find any source to support that statement. So maybe that's not the reason after all.

Comment

Gosh HD's aren't really self canceling. Have to hold the button to keep them flashing, that's as much self flashing than self canceling, I never liked that system.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Gosh, my HD signals cancel. I do NOT have to hold the button down! Hit the button once and they start flashing, they go off after you get back up to about 12-15MPH after you make the turn. They ARE self-cancelling. I've never seen any that you have to hold the button down. They may be out there, but I've never seen them.
          Last edited by 1978GS750E; 03-30-2020, 06:40 PM.
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
            My HD signals cancel. I do NOT have to hold the button down! Hit the button once and they start flashing, they go off after you get back up to about 12-15MPH after you make the turn. They ARE self-cancelling. I've never seen any that you have to hold the button down???
            Both of mine were "hold down the button" but that was a '68 FLH, and a '78 Sportster. Hmmm maybe they finally updated something? LOL
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yeah, but it costs way too much!
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

started in 78 with the GS1000E. Someone here once talked about building units with more modern components. And someone posted an end around using two flasher units to bypass units that stop allowing one side to blink.

I, for one, would like to see the two flasher units write up and some pics of it in the bike again.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

They are probably not there because they flat out suck
                  K bike has em and they just do not reflect the overall need to signal in a fast efficient manner.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I recall that Yamaha was the first in the mid '70's.

Old HDs you had to hold, newer ones are self-cancelling.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Didn't Kawasaki have some kind of funky motor in the left hand control assembly that turned the signal off? Speaking of funky, older BMW's had two separate buttons. One on the left one on right. But you had to hit the one on the right to turn them off. 2016 FJR? nope...
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Harleys still use two buttons, one on the left and one on the right. You would think that the turn signal buttons would be standardized by the NTSA or some big go'ment agency!
                        Ron
                        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          Suzuki started the self canceling turn signals in 1979, & worked pretty dang good, few rare problems, but nothing major.
                          The first Suzuki may have been 1979 (or 1978), but they were not the first motorcycle with them.

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                          I'd heard that HD had a patent on self-cancelling turn signals and wouldn't license it to anyone else. That's why everyone else had to stop doing it, but HD has it to this day. But now I can't seem to find any source to support that statement. So maybe that's not the reason after all.
                          HD might have gotten a patent on their version of self-cancelling signals, but they have been a continuous feature on a Honda Goldwing since about 1978 or 1979.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          started in 78 with the GS1000E.
                          Again, probably the first Suzuki with them, but not the first motorcycle.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          I recall that Yamaha was the first in the mid '70's.
                          As far as I know, Rob is correct.

The 1976 Yamaha XS750 was the first bike that I recall with self-cancelling signals.

What bothers me is that it has been 44 years since a motorcycle came with self-cancelling signals that would turn off after a certain amount of time above a certain speed. Cars still don't have anything similar. You can turn your signal on as you merge onto the freeway in Danbury, CT, it will still be flashing 500 miles later when you cross into South Carolina.

Yeah, the cancelling signals on a bike are not perfect (assuming they still work at all), but I like them. You just need to understand how they work, what their limitations are, and work around them. Personally, I find them very useful and wish my 4-wheeled vehicles had signal systems as good.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Gosh HD's aren't really self canceling. Have to hold the button to keep them flashing, that's as much self flashing than self canceling, I never liked that system.
                            Not true, at least on my Sportster. They stay on if you are stuck in a line to turn, and only cancel after you have turned.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                              . . . . .
                              Speaking of funky, older BMW's had two separate buttons. One on the left one on right. But you had to hit the one on the right to turn them off. . . . . . .
                              2002 BMW R1150RT: One paddle down button on left, one on right. Another button on right for cancel.
                              Was quite a feeling of accomplishment the first time I successfully operated it all without looking.
                              Often got distracted trying to figure who was honking horn.
                              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                              X