No announcement yet.

Cam chain adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a new KZ650 in 1980. At the first, shakedown service the dealer locked the auto tensioner with a screw.
    He set it with the motor running.
    He said, ' those auto things are useless '.
    Maybe this was a thing back then, at least in the minds of some?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      I had a new KZ650 in 1980. At the first, shakedown service the dealer locked the auto tensioner with a screw.
      I've been offered the same opinion from a mechanic I chat with recently too. it was he who suggested turning the "big knob" to get it just "quiet" and then locking it- I haven't except as an experiment- the self-adjusting ahsn't seemed a worthwhile issue but I have quite enough things that need regular adjustment!

BUT I do find it interesting that CATALIEPS has gone so many kilometers without adjusting without issue. Maybe his tension blade will never wear, crack or bend as I've seen in some bikes...

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        It definitely was. That was an attitude brought about by the crop of crap Honda camchains and tensioners. Instead of one reliable design, Honda changed them all the time and some were dreadful.
        Otoh, Suzuki got it right but suffered from such attitudes inherent in the dealerships of the day.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I don't know about the KZ650 Kawasaki, but the early KZ1300's ("79 thru "81") did have cam chain tensioner problems, corrected with a new design in "82". I don't remember Suzuki having any problems with theirs, but several aftermarket co's did make a manual tensioner for them
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you're drag racing a GS, a manual tensioner might make sense.

But on a GS on the street, even if you flog it hard, the regular tensioner doing its thing as designed is perfectly fine.

But yeah, those "other guys" had some tensioner problems here and there, and so yet another Krusty Rusty Olde Byker Legende was born and in some minds all such devices were condemned.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              It definitely was. That was an attitude brought about by the crop of crap Honda camchains and tensioners. Instead of one reliable design, Honda changed them all the time and some were dreadful.
              Otoh, Suzuki got it right but suffered from such attitudes inherent in the dealerships of the day.
              Yes, I think that's it. some Hondas for sure...and other brands I see others know...when you get a new/old bike, these forums are a great thing because the weaknesses of the bike show up in the frequent posts...apart from Newbie confusion, we don't seem to have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Now that you mention it, the place back then was chock a block with Plastic Maggots, even the Guards had them and there was never a good story about their chains.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                X