Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do find the inner diameter and/or wall thickness of a frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do find the inner diameter and/or wall thickness of a frame?

1981 GS450SX

I need some slugs, do not have a lathe unfortunately. Trying to find some rod that might work or SOMETHING. But need to know what size to go with. Thanks!
    1981 Suzuki GS450SX

There are drain holes at bottom of the frame, maybe that might help.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by rottenprimate View Post
      . . . . . . .
      Makes me wonder what you are monkeying around with.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

OP= rottenprimate

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        I see what you did there Dave, and I approve.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Well I plan on chopping the rear of the frame off. There is a new and very obscure style of bike called a “cafe racer”. I consider myself a bit of a pioneer in this style.

I suppose it won’t be much of a problem. Chop the frame, try stuff till it fits. but I would like to make sure I can get the right size before I go chopping.
          1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Comment

Originally posted by rottenprimate View Post
            There is a new and very obscure style of bike called a “cafe racer”. I consider myself a bit of a pioneer in style.
            Do tell. We’d love to see some pics of your builds. There are a few members here who’ve done some very nice café mod builds.

Not sure about “new and obscure”. You’d have to live under a rock to not know that it’s a thing.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Do tell. We’d love to see some pics of your builds. There are a few members here who’ve done some very nice café mod builds.

Not sure about “new and obscure”. You’d have to live under a rock to not know that it’s a thing.
              That was a joke. This is my first build. I’m not a fan of every aspect of a cafe racer. I’m not entirely sure what I’ll end up doing yet. I do know that I’m gonna lob the back of the frame off and need some slugs. I will definitely start a thread when I get the build started. I’m just waiting on a few things. My bike is a POS and needs a ton of work. I bought it for $200 mostly for the learning experience. I have an actual functioning bike for riding.
              1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Comment

Ok. Sorry. It’s difficult to read sarcasm in print. Anyway. Welcome to the forum. I don’t know what the ID of your frame tubes are at the back of your bike but someone here probably does.

You’re in the right place to learn. Tip on using the site’s search function. Always used Advanced. Always change to search Titles Only for your key words. You may find the answers you seek.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I think they are 2mm wall thickness tube but I may be wrong....
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If indeed your bike is a "POS" needing a bunch of work, would it not be prudent to do the bunch of work first?
                    You know, make sure it goes, handles, and stops correctly? You can always start chopping later.
                    I only suggest this, because I've seen folks run out of money trying to make their bike "look" right, before they get the bike running right.
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      If indeed your bike is a "POS" needing a bunch of work, would it not be prudent to do the bunch of work first?
                      You know, make sure it goes, handles, and stops correctly? You can always start chopping later.
                      I only suggest this, because I've seen folks run out of money trying to make their bike "look" right, before they get the bike running right.
                      +1000 on this - get the bike running properly first
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        you are correct but unfortunately part of getting it up and running again is a frame repair on one spot which needs a new piece of tubing. Cosmetics are the last thing I’ll be doing.
                        1981 Suzuki GS450SX

Comment

find ID at drain holes was a good idea iOR just drill a small hole at one at those "rear of seat" places where you're going to cut it off and push in a small rod. Subtract the thickness of the steel at the hole=ID

Comment

2mm wall thickness is plenty for a rear subframe - even with a pillion and suspension pickups.

On my roadracing frames I usually use 16gauge - 1.6mm wall - mild steel for subframes.

When you say you need slugs, I'm assuming you're going to use inserts at tube joints. Unless you're lucky, you probably won't find the correct OD tube to use there.
                            When I have to build a frame in sections with joints on straight pieces using inserts, I almost always have to machine thickwall tube to suit.
                            Finding the correct tube in the very small quantities you need can be impossible - and you don't need the balance of a full stick laying around for ever....

Comment

Working...
                            X