Looking for feedback on mid-80's GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for feedback on mid-80's GS550L

I'm considering a mid-80's GS550L for a next project. Aside from the cruiser-ish styling, does anyone have mechanical or performance feedback on this particular model? It has double barrel carbs, which is weird, but is it generally considered a good mid-range bike?

For reference, I've done dozens of vintage J-bike resurrections. Mostly Hondas, but also two GS450L's and one GS850L, athough that one didn't take much work.

Thanks,

Steve
    Last edited by sacruickshank; 11-26-2020, 07:21 PM.
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

They are fine bikes. The carbs are unique but not overly difficult to deal with. Be sure the charging system is working correctly because overcharging fries the ignitor.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Mechanically, it's a fine bike. Yes, the carbs are different, but like Ed says, not difficult to work with. I have rebuilt a couple set of them so far.

The charging system should be upgraded with an SH775 R/R, like all other GSes. Finding space for it might be a bit difficult on that bike, as things are rather tight, but it's highly recommended.

If you are keeping the bike, new handlbars will make it a LOT more rideable. Maybe not quite comfortable, but certainly more rideable. If you are flipping the bike, leave that up to the new owner.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Mechanically, it's a fine bike. Yes, the carbs are different, but like Ed says, not difficult to work with. I have rebuilt a couple set of them so far.

The charging system should be upgraded with an SH775 R/R, like all other GSes. Finding space for it might be a bit difficult on that bike, as things are rather tight, but it's highly recommended.

If you are keeping the bike, new handlbars will make it a LOT more rideable. Maybe not quite comfortable, but certainly more rideable. If you are flipping the bike, leave that up to the new owner.

Thanks. I rarely flip bikes, my normal process is "buy, fix, ride, get bored, sell". I would def swap the hbars and maybe the combination of seat, rear fender, side panels as well for a minor mod. Would leave the frame intact so it could be brought back to original.

Does anyone have info on how they fit taller riders, I'm 6'3" and this model doesn't show up on cycle-ergo.
        Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

83 & newer have the 4-v per cyl. head. Fro me way better than the 82 & older 2-v heads. I'm 6'1" & I rode a friends Kaw. 550 LTD back in the early 80's while I was replacing the crankshaft on my GS1100E. My opinion, at 6;3" you will never be comfortable on a 550L, your knees will be too close to your chin. Could ride it just fine, but not really comfortable.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
            Does anyone have info on how they fit taller riders, I'm 6'3" and this model doesn't show up on cycle-ergo.
            I don't know why you SHORT people always worry about whether something will fit.

Trust me, this is one you will want to fix up and sell right away.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Interesting, all the spec websites I've found state the later 550's were still 8v (2 per cyl). The bigger engines got the 16v.

Re: size, if i get and keep it, I would swap the seat to something higher and/or further back to make room. Bench seats work great for me, but would look weird on this. Also looking at an earlier standard 550, so will have comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Trust me, this is one you will want to fix up and sell right away.

@Steve What about it would make me want to sell quickly rather than keep it?

Comment

Uh, look again at the "83" GS550 specs. Seems to be a secret the year model you are looking at, both the "L" & the standard. Really doesn't matter, seems the standard will be a better fit for you. Still not good but better than the "L" & probably a better buy. The 4-v 550's have plain bearing crankshafts, the earlier ones have roller bearings. Weigh it out, the roller bearing crankshaft (even with 2-v head), your 6'3" height, & the fact that standard bikes normally sell better than the disco cruiser style???? Decisions, decisions, decisions.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                    @Steve What about it would make me want to sell quickly rather than keep it?
                    Since you are "only" 6' 3", it might depend on your leg/torso ratio, but I was extremely cramped on the one that I sat on.

Regarding the number of valves, '83 started the 16-valve head and two-barrel carbs, along with many other changes. I don't know if the spark plugs are the same between the two engines, but if they are, they are the only things that will interchange.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Spark plugs are smaller on the 16V engine.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm not in a hurry so the search continues.

Re: years and specs, there are a few different bikes posted locally ('80 std, '85 L, '85 ES) and the various web sources are inconsistent regarding #valves on the later models.

For example, this one shows 8v and 49HP for the '85 550L at the bottom https://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-seri...html#gsc.tab=0

While this one shows 16v and 64 HP for the '85 550E https://bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki...50_es_1985.php

Based on the comments from this thread, and reviewing the service manuals on BikeCliff's site, I'll assume 16v for any '85's.

Is the consensus that 16v plain bearing engines are better than 8v roller bearing ones? Certainly they produce more power, are they also more reliable assuming routine maintenance? Apologies if this has been re-hashed repeatedly.
                        Last edited by sacruickshank; 11-28-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Just to confirm that all 83 and onward 550 models were 16v engines. The suzukicycles.org website has the correct image, but the accompanying text refers to the pre-83 models. The 8v roller bearing models are virtually indestructible as long as they are maintained correctly, the 16v plain bearing models are theoretically a little weaker, but in practice are still good.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                            Just to confirm that all 83 and onward 550 models were 16v engines. The suzukicycles.org website has the correct image, but the accompanying text refers to the pre-83 models. The 8v roller bearing models are virtually indestructible as long as they are maintained correctly, the 16v plain bearing models are theoretically a little weaker, but in practice are still good.
                            Got it. All else being equal, I'd opt for indestructible but in the grand scheme of 35-40 year old bikes, it sounds like mileage, condition, price, and fit are all more important than 8v/roller or 16v/plain.

Comment

UPDATE - Thanks for all the input. Found the next project, a 1981 GS550T.

The good: 8100 miles, no signs of crashes, no mods, engine not frozen, no apparent structural damage, priced at "need it gone"
                              The not so good: some PO attacked it with rattle can, possible rust in tank emblem mounting area, missing side panels, usual amount of surface rust
                              Unknown: compression, carbs insides
                              Last edited by sacruickshank; 11-29-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X