Remove Engine for Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Engine for Paint?

I'd love to paint my 79 GS850G engine. For those of you with experience with this sort of thing, can this be done without taking the engine out of the frame? Or, is it just standard practice to take it out for paint?

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I chose the discussion board. If someone has a suggestion on where it's best suited let me know, I'd be happy to move it.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Remove it. You'll never get first class results unless you do. Are you painting it a color or duplicating the original finishes? The factory did a semi polish then covered that with a horribly cheap clear. You would have to recreate that and cover it with a modern clear urethane.

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
      Remove it. You'll never get first class results unless you do. Are you painting it a color or duplicating the original finishes? The factory did a semi polish then covered that with a horribly cheap clear. You would have to recreate that and cover it with a modern clear urethane.
      I'd like to paint the engine a gloss black. Planning on using Eastwood 2K engine paint.
      Ryan

Comment

That would depend on the quality for which you will settle.

If you are OK with a “20/20” bike*, just clean it the best you can and spray away.

If you would rather have an award-winning show bike, there is no question, remove it.

* A 20/20 bike looks good 20 feet away, moving at 20mph.

Last edited by Steve; 12-05-2020, 06:40 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
          I'd love to paint my 79 GS850G engine. For those of you with experience with this sort of thing, can this be done without taking the engine out of the frame? Or, is it just standard practice to take it out for paint?

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I chose the discussion board. If someone has a suggestion on where it's best suited let me know, I'd be happy to move it.
          HI, I would say you can paint the engine without removing it. That is what I did . You can see photos of my bike in the my profile and in the appearance section and judge for yourself. Like the other guys said , the results will only be so good. The better you prep it the better it will look. I used a rifle bore cleaning brush to get between the fins combined with lots of emery paper and brake clean. I used flat black on the fins and head with results that were good enough for me. The only time I would remove a engine is to do mechanical work.
          1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            * A 20/20 bike looks good 20 feet away, moving at 20mph.
            HA! It's true isn't it.
            Last edited by RustyTank; 12-05-2020, 11:54 PM.
            Ryan

Comment

I've used 2k at $25 a can and used Krylon max epoxy at $10 a can and can't tell em apart. For what I do in old car and motorcycle restore use I this product now instead. I've even used it in place of powder coating.

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                I've used 2k at $25 a can and used Krylon max epoxy at $10 a can and can't tell em apart. For what I do in old car and motorcycle restore use I this product now instead. I've even used it in place of powder coating.
                Hmm...thanks for your two cents red1100
                Ryan

Comment

My paint of choice is VHT Epoxy Paint. It's available in Glossy or Satin Black, but the Satin is a bit harder to find.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've done it both ways. If you remove the exhaust (the carbs off would make it way easier for sure) and all the body parts around it, you can mask off the frame with aluminum foil. Just wrap everything up with it. Sand as much of the engine and clean it as much as possible, and you should be able to do it in the frame. Most people recommend removing the engine, and that's cool if you're able to do it, otherwise just sand, mask, and spray away.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
                    X