First Bike 1981 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bike 1981 GS750E

Next week I am picking up my first bike—a 1981 GS750E(X? or T?). A buddy purchased a Honda CB360 last year, and I've been learning to ride on that machine. A great bike, but he is currently already looking for an upgrade. So when looking for my first bike, I was looking for a higher displacement so that my first bike could be a "forever" bike. Contrary to what others may think, I love the square headlight that screams the '80s. I was born in 81, so it's a bit nostalgic to be able to purchase this 81 GS750E in excellent condition. 16,000 miles, southern bike.

I am concerned with the weight of this bike as compared to the CB360 I've been learning on. I'll be taking it slow, and I am excited to have something to tinker with in the garage with my two sons. I'm glad to have found this group and looking forward to learning from the collective wisdom.​
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by sre15; 03-08-2023, 02:33 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

'81 would be year code "X". '80 would be "T"
    See Homepage / GS Info / Model Information.

image.png

Great Bike. Looks to be in great shape.

Practice, Practice, Practice. That bike won't feel so big before long.

Please do yourself a huge favor and take whatever beginner Motorcycle Safety course is available in your area. Do it know before you develop any bad habits that will be harder to break the longer you're riding.

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Nice looking motorcycle!
      sure it's a little bit bigger than the 360T, but I bet you'll find the 750 is easier to ride than the little Honda.
      You're going to love it....

Oh, I'm quite fond of the square (Lunchbox) headlight too!
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks Rich. Yes I plan on taking the MSF in the next couple of weeks. As well as lots if practice in empty parking lots, and slow roads.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Welcome to the forum.

'81 would be year code "X". '80 would be "T"
        See Homepage / GS Info / Model Information.

image.png

Great Bike. Looks to be in great shape.

Practice, Practice, Practice. That bike won't feel so big before long.

Please do yourself a huge favor and take whatever beginner Motorcycle Safety course is available in your area. Do it know before you develop any bad habits that will be harder to break the longer you're riding.

Comment

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Congrats sre15, great looking bike & I still love those old lunch boxes just don't get to see them much any more. My 1st bike after a 125 dirt bike was a "77" GS750 that I thought was waaay bigger than I wanted. A couple or 3 weeks later it was just right. Me being younger & less smart, the next yr. I wanted more power so traded for a GS 1000. Seems you've got it figured MSF first, then patience, practice, and tons of paying attention to everything out there... Get a repair manual now, for me Factory is best or Clymer 2nd or Haynes 3 rd., you can't imagine how much, spelled out, info. is in them.... Oh yeah, WELCOME.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks rphillips!

Comment

In many ways, this bike will be easier to ride than your Honda. It will get going right away, stop better, and handle obstacles on the road much better. You will grow into it faster than you think. They give you a bigger than they are feel, and are very comfortable, but handle great. Those look like the stock rear shocks. I would suggest getting rid of those as soon as you pockets allow. The bike will handle so much better. Low mileage, and clean, what else can you ask for. Find out when the valves were last adjusted, and if need be, get them adjusted. With this kind of mileage, it should last very long between valve adjustments. Get the Factory Manual (the real one, off EBAY or something) to get the service intervals.

A very nice bike.

Comment

Congrats! 11.5 years ago I purchased my first bike in 27 years....I was 45. Just wanted a bike to tinker on...a bike from my youth.
                  Well here I am with 7 bikes currently in my garage with at least another dozen bought and sold in that time.
                  Last year I rode 35,000kms.....you will be glad you made this choice....

Oh and the bike that got me started again....a 1980 gs750e.....will never sell it.

No signature :(

Comment

Good luck. I wouldn't disparage the CB360 though. My first bike was a '71 CB350, and it was bullet proof. Cruise all day at 85mph, and top out at an indicated 96.

Can't see why the 750 would be easier than the 360 for a beginner to ride, though I understand what they're saying. The lunchbox is an acquired taste; if it floats your boat, more power to you.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

trevor Beautiful bike! Thanks for sharing your story. I cant wait to begin my journey with the lunchbox GS750. (see I'm already learning the lingo)!

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      Congrats! 11.5 years ago I purchased my first bike in 27 years....I was 45. Just wanted a bike to tinker on...a bike from my youth.
                      Well here I am with 7 bikes currently in my garage with at least another dozen bought and sold in that time.
                      Last year I rode 35,000kms.....you will be glad you made this choice....

Oh and the bike that got me started again....a 1980 gs750e.....will never sell it.

Comment

Working...
                      X