Greetings from Melbourne Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Melbourne Australia

Hi Folks - as my account description states, I'm a 'former lurker' here at the GSR. Like so many others I've been able to get a wealth of valuable information from this site which has helped a great deal with my project so far.

I purchased a 1980 GS1000G around 2012 with the intention of doing a cleanup and riding. One weekend shortly after, I made the mistake of taking a couple parts off to do a quick clean up but no, long story short, it was stripped down with engine out. I manage to get quite a bit done in that era such as, frame and other bits powder coated, carbs stripped/cleaned etc. Most of the paintwork is now complete apart from the tank and body plastics.

Then my work-life took a major turn and I had very little time to get into the workshop. I recently retired and now have time to focus on the GS. I've stripped the engine down, mainly out of curiosity and for the learning experience. I've had the casings professionally cleaned so the engine build is about to begin.

I reckon I'll have a few questions coming up soon so thanks in advance. Yes - I use the search functions before asking, as that most often gives me answers instantly.

Thanks for a great forum.

Oh - any Aussies members here that live in Victoria?

Cheers

Welcome Syd !

Sounds like you're off to a great start to rebuild the bike, as you already know
    lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here should you need any help.
    Nice project to ease into retirement and scratch that bike itch ..

We love pictures, would be good to start a project thread for it.

Greetings from the other side of the world, have fun here.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Welcome!

And...

Originally posted by Syd View Post
      (...)

I purchased a 1980 GS1000G around 2012 with the intention of doing a cleanup and riding. One weekend shortly after, I made the mistake of taking a couple parts off to do a quick clean up but no, long story short, it was stripped down with engine out.
      (...)
      ...oh, don't I know it.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Syd, born mornington, made my way to sth/wst wa, refreshing a '81 gs 850, jinks.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The only thing I know about Melbourne is the fake race on Real Racing 3!!! My avatar name on that game is ImperviousTorch (they give you the name) I've been playing it for years. I have a sh*tload of cars.

Comment

Working...
          X