Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a 1987 Suzuki GS 450 L

Hi everyone!
    Recently I bought my first motorcycle. It is a 1987 Suzuki GS 450 L. The bike ran perfectly until now. The bike starts cold very well, but when I ride it for 10 to 15 minutes, it stalls and cuts off. It is like losing the power when I hit the throttle. After 10 minutes starts again and has the power, and everything works as it should. Is anyone know what a problem is and how to fix it? I doubt it has something to do with electric, but no idea what it could be.

Cheers!

Welcome !

Could be a number of things, but one of them is the gas cap.
    There is a tiny hole in that cap that allows air in, otherwise the tank sucks vacuum and gas will not flow to the carbs.

Check if that hole is open.
    When it happens again, open the gas cap.
    You may hear a hissing sound.

Check the "newbie mistakes" link : https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ewbie+mistakes

There's a wealth of knowledge in there, teaching about proper maintenance and preventing issues.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I wonder if that fixed the problem?

Comment

Hard to say, only asked question 3 hr. ago. Hoping after he has a chance to try it, he'll report back
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yesterday I had numerous things to do, so I didn't have time to check the bike. Today, I'll start working on a bike. I'll report back when I check the gas cap and a few other stuff. Yesterday I also bought a fire extinguisher for my little workshop Safety first...

Cheer, and have a good day!!​

Comment

A very courteous response. Hope all works out well.

Comment

Hi everyone!!
              Thanks for the help. The problem was the gas cap. I took it apart and put it back together. Went for a 70 km ride, and the bike now runs like a dream again.
              Cheers!​

Comment

Glad to hear that, congrats !
                Thanks for the feedback
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Those gas caps sure do cause a lot of bikes to run bad. Glad it was an inexpensive fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X