Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Ray here from Ohio just south of Dayton area. finally titled a 1979 gs850 in my name and begging to be loved on. I have had her in my possession for 7-8 years. I just verified she does run but coming fresh out of barn find state, so I have much to do before saddling up on her.

I am long time 7-8 years lurking off and on but very much a newbie. I have read and researched lots of good stuff here and have a solid plan of attack on the project. newbie mistakes along with BikeCliff's Website​ have me well on my way as to how to go about it all. I love working on motors and have most of my life, not an expert but have done much more than the average guy. I am 50 and have only briefly owned a street bike once in the last 24 years, that's when I sold my Honda magna before my oldest was born. needless to say, I have an itch that desperately needs scratched.

as of now sourcing good quality parts is my main issue so if any of you have sources or links for the following, please be specific on brands and sites I am all ears.

brakes - all new braided hoses, pads and rebuild kits for the entire system. I feel this is a must.

carbs- I am aware I can get all the o rings here from a guy and plan to and was wondering if I could also donate to the site with the same guy?

valves- I have adjusted them on many small motors but understand I will be needing shims here, should I plan to buy a shim kit before diving into this and where can I get Quilty ones?

tires- are on the way, I went with the Shinko's 712 series based on what I have read here again they should suit me well and are reasonably priced

electrical - again because of you I am aware of and plan to remedy all known issues, after testing and seeing what's on the old girl now. if it's not broke don't fix it is a lifestyle for me, but I will buy what is needed regardless. mice have created a fair amount of work for me already at least on the Vetter fairing side which is staying for now. time will tell how that plays out.

rectifier will be replaced if needed but bought and stored if not.

DynaTek s seems to be the ticket if not present I plan to buy and install

k&n fiter on the way

buying battery tomorrow ANY RECOMENDATION?

oil and all fluids will be changed soon

Again, any recommendations on sourcing parts would be great.

I am sure I am forgetting something as I am going on what is in my head, so cheers to you all for making an amazing forum and community.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome. Get a sealed, AGM type battery (Absorbed Glass Mat). And replace the stock shunt rectifier/regulator with a series type like the SH-775 from Shindgren (I believe member Nessim might have one to spare). Beware of cheap Chinese knock offs if you source one on your own.

Welcome aboard!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

also:
      ”brakes - all new braided hoses, pads and rebuild kits for the entire system. I feel this is a must.​”. Correct

carbs- I am aware I can get all the o rings here from a guy and plan to and was wondering if I could also donate to the site with the same guy?​” the guy is Nessism, he sells the orings but has nothing to do with donations except he has been known to give a good deal when someone make a nice donation to the site. To donate find the link on the homepage or go here: https://www.thegsresources.com/supportus.php and follow the instructions.

if it's not broke don't fix it​”. This is a good mantra with most things. Personally, if the points ignition/coils are in good working order and you understand how to maintain it, I’d leave it alone for now. However, upgrading the brakes and charging system I would do now.

Welcome to the forum.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-11-2024, 12:48 AM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

For the brakes, I've had good luck with Galfer kits on my GS1100E and XS1100. Affordable, I think they sell them via an ebay store. Massively improved front brake feel, all of the sponginess is *GONE*
        Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
        Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by schneider View Post
          the Vetter fairing side which is staying for now. time will tell how that plays out.
          If you plan on using the bike for long trips and inclement weather, keep the Vetter aside for future use. You'll be glad you did.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

.................................................. .............

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
            X