Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Forum.

Hi guys.

Thanks for allowing me to join. I have been riding dirtbikes since I was a kid, but I have only been riding on the road for the last 3 years.
    I am 38 and based in Australia. I bought my first road bike, a 1986 Suzuki Savage about 3 years ago. It wasn't running and needed work, so I decided to dive in and do a full rebuild. It was a great bike to learn on as it only had the big single-cylinder.
    From there I purchased a 1990 Honda Shadow 600. That was a big step down in terms of torque and manoeuvrability, but I did a rewire on it and made a pretty sweet bobber out of it.
    That brings me to the current period of my bike ownership. I bought 2 non-running Gs850G's with the money from selling the Shadow.
    One was a 1980 bobber build that wasn't running and needed new wiring and other maintenance. The other was a 1979 kickstart parts bike. I got it for 500AUD which is cheap here in Australia (the vintage GS bikes are quite expensive here, as are all classic Japanese sports bikes). It was someone's unfinished bobber build that was missing the entire waiting harness and again wasn't running.

I've since got the bobber running well with minimal wiring and will be doing a full harness rebuild. This one is still a few months away from being close to done. The 1980 cafe build, however, is very close to being on the road. Only a matter of weeks if I have any luck. The only issues it has now is some small leaks (final drive output seal, level check bolt, and rear brake booster (which I did a rebuild on already but the internals are too far gone to seal fully) and the sight glass on the clutch cover side.

Other than that it is just a matter of tuning the CV carbs to run with the pods and exhaust mods. Unfortunately, the frame was modified and there are no mounting points for the stock box. All in all, I'm excited about these projects. They'll both need valves adjusted and some love but we are getting there.

Feel free to vent any disgust or disappointment in these bikes. I too would have preferred a lovely stock example but I'm committed to finishing off these rides and giving them a little more time on the road while they can ride.

Thanks guys.

Lucas from Australia.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Some more images

Comment

Made a headlight bracket for something a little different

Comment

Welcome to the group!
        No signature :(

Comment

Not much to add... Welcome and good luck.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse.... Try to ignore all the political BS. If it annoys you can request that forum section be hidden for you by the mods.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Moarpower View Post
              Hi guys.

Thanks for allowing me to join. I have been riding dirtbikes since I was a kid, but I have only been riding on the road for the last 3 years.
              I am 38 and based in Australia. I bought my first road bike, a 1986 Suzuki Savage about 3 years ago. It wasn't running and needed work, so I decided to dive in and do a full rebuild. It was a great bike to learn on as it only had the big single-cylinder.
              From there I purchased a 1990 Honda Shadow 600. That was a big step down in terms of torque and manoeuvrability, but I did a rewire on it and made a pretty sweet bobber out of it.
              That brings me to the current period of my bike ownership. I bought 2 non-running Gs850G's with the money from selling the Shadow.
              One was a 1980 bobber build that wasn't running and needed new wiring and other maintenance. The other was a 1979 kickstart parts bike. I got it for 500AUD which is cheap here in Australia (the vintage GS bikes are quite expensive here, as are all classic Japanese sports bikes). It was someone's unfinished bobber build that was missing the entire waiting harness and again wasn't running.

I've since got the bobber running well with minimal wiring and will be doing a full harness rebuild. This one is still a few months away from being close to done. The 1980 cafe build, however, is very close to being on the road. Only a matter of weeks if I have any luck. The only issues it has now is some small leaks (final drive output seal, level check bolt, and rear brake booster (which I did a rebuild on already but the internals are too far gone to seal fully) and the sight glass on the clutch cover side.

Other than that it is just a matter of tuning the CV carbs to run with the pods and exhaust mods. Unfortunately, the frame was modified and there are no mounting points for the stock box. All in all, I'm excited about these projects. They'll both need valves adjusted and some love but we are getting there.

Feel free to vent any disgust or disappointment in these bikes. I too would have preferred a lovely stock example but I'm committed to finishing off these rides and giving them a little more time on the road while they can ride.

Thanks guys.

Lucas from Australia.
              G'Day Lucas

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great information and people here. Congrats on your ownership of some vintage GS's. Terrific bikes as they have really proven solid over time.

I'm an ex Adelaide lad now living in Melbourne. I recall some great roads for bike riding around the Adelaide plain and hills.

What side of town are you from?

Cheers - Syd

Comment

Welcome: I generally dislike modified bikes because they usually just look like cutup junk. However both your bikes have a nice flow to them and look good.
                1986 1150EF
                2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Working...
                X