Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS1100GL Story

Hello GSR forum!

Thank you so much for maintaining a simple, non flashy, ad free, functional site, WITH auto-save for drafts!

I started riding in November of last year on a 1973 Honda CB550four. then in December, a month later, I picked up the star of this show, a 1982 GS1100GL with 33,543 miles.

It's been quite the journey working on it! the PO only had it for a year and neglected pretty much everything except 87 octane and wheelies. He said he replaced its "CDI ignition box" when it got too hot and fried in his driveway. however, the shiny heatsink he pointed out had 5 wires coming out of it and was clearly the voltage regulator. this tracks with the newer looking battery as well. He attributed it's rough running to a lean air/fuel mixture. said it wasn't jetted for the aftermarket 4into1 Vance and Hines megaphone exhaust. In hindsight, it was running pretty rough, but it was still fast. I've learned so much since then.

Fast forward a couple hundred miles, a lot of learning, and some investigating. first things I replaced were the engine oil and filter, along with the sketchy electrical taped throttle cable. while doing that I found cylinder #3s plug wire had fallen off the coil (one too many wheelies?) and didn't want to stay snapped on. all it needed was a squeeze and pop back on the coil and BAM! smoked for a minute or two and idled smoother than ever. The 1100 felt like it had twice the power. It previously would not rev past 6k. with that cylinder back in action, The powerhouse had no hesitation up to 9 grand. With that said, even 1000 miles later, I am still not comfortable opening the throttle more than halfway. And not willing to go past three quarters. let alone over the power band. Part of me wishes I had waited and got a nice 850. Anyway, check out the miss colored exhaust header on cylinder #3 haha.

that's not all that has happened since then. I also replaced the dry rotted tires. Burned through a two pack of defective Philips 9003 headlight bulbs (that's the last time I buy fancy bulbs). Found my secondary drive gearbox full of peanut butter gear oil and filled to the brim with water. Flushed it with brake clean and new gear oil three times over 500 miles before the broken teeth on my bevel gear became noticeable. I put a new clutch in it too, although after reading through Bikecliff's website, it probably just needed new springs. Also had an ignition wire pull out of its crimped on end. I botched that fix so my next stop is the Electrical/Ignition section here to see what wire set people recommend.

Anyhow, here's to the never ending project.
    -Nathan from Michigan

1973 Honda CB550four
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GL

Welcome to the forum. Great intro. Nice pics too. Looks like you’re well on your way to sorting this bike. You’ve already found BikeCliffs Website, and have likely figured out how to use the site’s search function to find many answers. This thread for new riders/new GS owners Is a good read:
    1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

You mention being new to riding. Have you taken Michigan’s Basic Rider Course to get your license endorsement? If not, I’d highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-04-2024, 03:54 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah, welcome. Seems you're getting things sorted, just part of old bikes, keep up the good work... From a CB550 to a GS1100 is a pretty big step for a seasoned rider, lot bigger step for a newbie, main thing, be careful... He ^^^ mentioned Basic Rider Course, even seasoned riders learn from them, also usually gets you a discount on ins.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Your previous owner was quite the rider to be popping wheelies on that bike. More likely just flapping his pie hole.

Welcome aboard.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks Rich! I looked into the BRC back in November. All the classes on the Secretary of State list were booked out 9-12 months. And to add complication to it, I'm only guaranteed every other weekend off from work (4 days a month). I did hear that the nearest community collage taught them. They might have openings, since I don't recall them on the SOS list. I'll look into it. I went with Michigan's second option to get my endorsement, the Skills Test. low speed maneuvers with a couple swerves at about 25mph. aced it, No stalls, no foot down penalties. That said, there is and always will be more to learn. I appreciate any and all reminders, I'll look into the BRC. I just upgraded from a normal denim jacket to a leather riding one with pads. still not sure on chaps though, as none of my coworkers wear 'em.

Rob! you also have a V&H exhaust? did you have to lose the center stand as well? the PO said they conflicted with each other but I highly doubt the work was done with it in his possession. I've missed having a center stand so much. I might just grab a $42 used one off ebay and see for myself if it fits.

Edit: I put together a couple more photos of my bike, here's the dirty ones, and here's the clean ones.
          Last edited by NJS; 09-05-2024, 01:39 AM.
          1973 Honda CB550four
          1982 Suzuki GS1100GL

Comment

When I bought my 11EZ from at least the second owner, there was no center stand. I bought a cheap rear paddock stand from Cycle Gear for $15.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

My first Susie was a 81 1100L, it had a cheap harlie style fairing and bates bags. Loved that machine, took my son for a ride and told him to hang on…he didn’t listen and I almost lost him off the back. He held on after that. I gave it away when I couldn’t source a new secondary gear when the nut end sheared off. I now ride a 80 1100L amongst others. Your a smart guy, enjoy and welcome.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Sounds like you are well on your way, getting it ready to fill your needs for a long time.

The 1100L is definitely a nice bike, and it is deceptively easy to ride, but, as was already said, it is not at all the same as a 550.

When you have little experience you also have limited skills, so using that "easy to ride" part can see you push a bit too far.
                Please follow up with the course.
                There is no downside to it.

Welcome to GSR
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'm late to the party, but welcome to the club, from another Michigander.

She's a fine-looking machine and there is no better place in the world than the GSR forums for learning how to treat her right.

I took the Basic Rider Course offered by Lansing Community College for my endorsement back when I lived over that way. That was well over a decade at this point. I recommend checking the website weekly as early as February to see when registration opens up because those classes always fill up REAL fast in the spring. https://www.lcc.edu/community/adult-...le-safety.html

Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X