1980 GS1100L. Putting it back on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100L. Putting it back on the road

I bought this GS1100 a couple weeks ago and I’m getting it ready to get it road worthy. I posted on a couple FB groups but I like these type forums better. I got this bike from an online auction without going to look at it first but did have pics online. It has a V&H 4-1 pipe and pods which I knew and a Lockhart oil cooler installed. I got a spare set of carbs with the bike. The carbs on the bike have 138 main jets and 45 pilot jets. I’ve got the carbs all cleaned up with new seals and ready to reinstall. The bike fired right off with starting fluid so it’s very promising. 17k miles on her. Little about me. I grew up on dirt bikes, got my first bike when I was 9 (72 JT2 Yamaha) and progressed from there buying my first street bike when I was 30. I now have 9 vintage bikes that I’ve bought in non running condition and got them running. 7 of them are currently titled and registered and I ride them all. I’ll have some questions as I go so I’ll post in the appropriate thread.

Attached Files

Hey, 2wheel. Welcome to GSR. That's a good looking 1100. Nice find.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Yeah, Welcome and congrats.... Thinking that is a one year only GS. I'm thinking "80" was the only yr for the 1100 4V "L" model. Nice looking bike..
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It's the only L with the 16v motor and chain drive. Unfortunately, like other L models it has a 16" rear tire, and like other '80 models it has that dreaded petcock.
        I have one with closer to 50k on the clock that still rips around pretty good and doesn't burn too much oil.
        The jetting sounds about right, I have 140 mains and 47.5 pilots with K&N pods and a vance and Hines pipe. If not done already, you may need to raise the non adjustable needle by using a smaller than stock spacer or a jet kit. I'm running Factory Pro needles that work well, though I don't think they're readily available - Dynojet kits still are.
        New springs up front will go a long way for improving the front end. Straight rate springs and gold valves made mine feel like it had new front end.
        Hagon rear shocks aren't a bad way to go... I used 13" for a CB900f. And if it needs a new chain, the 530 conversion is the way to go.
        I put Daytona style handlebars on mine, which required a shorter brake line, stainless steel lines are nice.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Last edited by Tom R; Yesterday, 01:47 PM.
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
          It's the only L with the 16v motor and chain drive. Unfortunately, like other L models it has a 16" rear tire, and like other '80 models it has that dreaded petcock.
          I have one with closer to 50k on the clock that still rips around pretty good and doesn't burn too much oil.
          The jetting sounds about right, I have 140 mains and 47.5 pilots with K&N pods and a vance and Hines pipe. If not done already, you may need to raise the non adjustable needle by using a smaller than stock spacer or a jet kit. I'm running Factory Pro needles that work well, though I don't think they're readily available - Dynojet kits still are.
          New springs up front will go a long way for improving the front end. Straight rate springs and gold valves made mine feel like it had new front end.
          Hagon rear shocks aren't a bad way to go... I used 13" for a CB900f. And if it needs a new chain, the 530 conversion is the way to go.
          I put Daytona style handlebars on mine, which required a shorter brake line, stainless steel lines are nice.
          The carbs have a K&N stage 3 calibration kit which according to the instructions in the kit did have the spacer and a more tapered needle than stock. I’ve already been looking at diffent bars and the stainless brake lines. I put the stainless lines on my KZ1000.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Yeah, Welcome and congrats.... Thinking that is a one year only GS. I'm thinking "80" was the only yr for the 1100 4V "L" model. Nice looking bike..
            Honestly I didn’t even know what year it was when I bought it. It was an online auction and I wasn’t able to go look at it on preview day so I just rolled the dice with it. Only paid $420 for it so it’s hard to go wrong. My regular driver is an 80 KZ1000 and it has 37k miles. The majority of my bikes are Honda’s.

Comment

Welcome ! . . . . . .
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheel View Post

. . . . . . Only paid $420 for it so it’s hard to go wrong. . . . . . . . .
                Wow! Great ! . . . . . .
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                X