No announcement yet.

First bike, First project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had to pick up some new feeler gauges as mine weren't small enough. probably try to find some time this weekend to check out the valve clearances.

got a flasher for it too, and it seems that it at least illuminates the front signals. the rears are missing though, so that may contribute to my lack of flashing.

slow and steady wins the race right?

Comment

well, the first 4 valves I've checked I could only barely get the .02mm gauge under one of em.. The rest had no clearance. thinking I should start with just dropping two sizes on all of the shims and go from there? the ones I've checked so far there are two 2.60, and two 2.60x shims. thinking of dropping them all to 2.50's, unless I can find a couple 2.50x? Any input? I don't have any shims as this is my first one, so i'll have to order some. maybe grab a couple of other in between sizes at the same time?

Comment

I've got a '59 Glasspar. Its only got a 50 horse Merc. I'm trying to fix up a '75 Scott for it.

I'm certain that you will be able to make that bike work correctly just fine. It does look like a project.

And a couple VW 16Vs

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

your boat looks much nicer than mine. my interior is pretty thrashed, and the rear bench got removed at some point in its life. yours must be the 14' lido? that windshield makes it look pretty sporty. I think mine had a flip up top for it at some point where the buttons are on the windshield.

those vw's look pretty nice, the scirocco and that caddy should move along pretty well with a 16v. I still haven't gotten rid of my gti, but It just doesn't fit at the moment. Picked up a newer audi so I could get the kid seat in the back. Have to get my coils and wheels on it one of these days. Can't leave anything alone.

Comment

Its a Sport Lido
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Well got my shims in and within spec thanks to the shim club. The 2&3 exhaust will need to go down a size still probably after summer once im hopefully out riding it, they are at the minimum even after dropping two sizes. Fixed my hot idle issue. Runs pretty good warm and started with barely any choke.

Then I got to looking at the exhaust that came with it that I have loosely mounted just to get it running and im pretty sure they are off of an early 1100. There is a gs110x stamp and a part number above it. They are black and in pretty good shape aside from being welded on the two outers at the crossover flange with the centers still being slip on.

that being said im now looking for pipes or a 4-1 thats reasonably priced. Let me know what you guys have got. Chrome would likely get painted or wrapped so they dont have to be super pretty. But without any big dents or holes.

these pipes will be up for grabs too if someone was interested.

now to track down a carb sync gauge or just buy one
              Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Made some progress with my little free time this last week. Cleaning up some connections and getting my blinkers to work. Had to bypass the 3 prong stock flasher with a 2 prong cheap one from the parts store. With the 3 prong I could get steady on but that was it. Unless I tapped the flasher and it would blink. Two prong plugged right into the 3 prong connection and works.

I have a different issue I need to start looking into now. No brake lights. Bulb and socket look good. Have voltage to both the orange and the white wire off the rear brake switch though.. it doesn't light up at all though so I'm going to grab a bulb and then start chasing wires.

I assume that neither wire should show voltage without the brake being engaged? Or am I thinking backwards?. Or at minimum just one side should until the switch is engaged.

Also got a seat that should work temporarily from someone on here. Needs a latch however. Probably will have to modify that first after I get some seat time in since it is a lady seat.

Currently on the lookout for a 4-1 still. The ones I do end up coming across on ebay sell right away even completely rusted v&h. So we shall see what happens there.

Will try and get a new front tire mounted once the new bearings show up and the o-ring for my petcock.

Will have to get some pics up one of these days where it's at

Comment

Well, decided to look I to the tail light issue. First thing I noticed was that it was very hard to get out. Turns out that someone put a single prong bulb in and the socket looks to be a double prong..

So ill try and find a bulb tomorrow. Anyone know what the part number or size the correct one is supposed to be

Comment

Originally posted by smooth_358 View Post
                    .......................... Anyone know what the part number or size the correct one is supposed to be
                    1100G factory manual just says 8 / 23 watts for tail / brake light.

What I have on my bench are 1034 which are 8.3 / 23 watts. Are probably others that will fit and work but will be different wattage (the good ol' 1157 comes to mind.)

>>later note: 1157 is same wattage.
                    the 1034 says "longer life"

Last edited by Redman; 07-25-2014, 09:38 PM. Reason: add later note
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

So, got the blinkers working and mounted using a cheap generic flasher from the parts store. Plugged right into the three pronged plug. Got the seat mounted I picked up from a member. Picked up a vintage rc performance pipe for it that needs a bit of tweaking to fit right as the flanges are welded and clocked a tiny bit off. Getting there slowly. Should have some dinking around time tomorrow to mess around with it as well as my gbody.

should be focusing more on this guy now that my daily is sorted.

Comment

I had hopes for my petcock working but it seems to be leaking

Comment

Working...
                        X