No announcement yet.

Hi, and the basketcase quandry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She an't dead yet, back off you cannibals!

Playing with parts:

GS750E Monoposto!

Comment

Either way you choose to go will be respected here.

In my limited opinion of looking for these nationwide the past year, it seems that an average condition GS bike may sell reasonably quickly for about $1000 to $1500.

If you are OK with a possibility that after you spend time getting it all put back together and you may have money invested in tires, fork seals, brake kits, fluids, etc. Then if you are OK with the worse case scenario where you find that the kids did botch up the motor and you have to source another or pay for parts to fix that one, then you are golden.

Alternatively, a good solid tank seems to fetch around $200, side plates $40 each, Pipes $100, etc etc.

There are plenty of people here that will be glad to try to help you in your journey.

I also have trouble taking these old bikes apart even though it is often the smarter financial move to make with them.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Oh yeah, I know all about zero-return. I club raced for many years. The care and feeding of an old motorcycle (or any machine really) can't really be quantified.

Comment

I think you have your answer in your last comment. I enjoy bringing a good machine back from the dead. This won't cost a lot to get it running ($500, mostly for tires, etc.), but it would give you satisfaction way beyond that.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. My rule of thumb...if it has a good title, it lives, if not it dies. I have the GS sickness and way too many bikes, but that said, I usually don't hurt for parts either. One thing to keep in mind and has not been mentioned yet, is the plug and play nature of the 1100E engine into the 750E frame.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Yeah, sadly I can't responsibly fork out what I would want to spend to do it up right... so it's down in the classifieds. I'm hoping someone else wants it for a winter's project.

Comment

Having Fun

Ahhhhh, I was having fun reading this...cannibals were even out.

Money is a deciding factor...no doubting that (captain obvious calling). I blew my wad on the road while in New Mexico--put some nice pieces together on my "T" [see signature] with the help of my buddy, MrBill. (Dude, answer my email from yahoo).

Now that I'm in a different environment, the funds have dried and my bike sits in our garage 800 miles from me. Even though I was just notified about the registration renewal, she's gonna have to wait until I'm in a better situation where I can give her all my attention. After all, isn't that what owning a bike is about?

I say that loosely because right now, I can't give her the love she needs...but one thing is sure--she will wait no matter how long it takes me. That's the beauty of these machines...it's a desire to own a GS and quite another to have one and not let her go. Will I part with her...right now I say heck no.

The fantastic experience I had while in Alamogordo made me fall head over heals for my "T". Riding with my buddy and also alone, knowing she was gonna make it home because of the maintenance she was given, gave me the continued confidence I needed because I've only been riding 3 years now.

So my advice is to keep her even if you can't afford her right now. My "T" is waiting for me...she knows how truly-badly I want to take her out. She needs lots of maintenance and awaits my fund tree. Until the time comes, I'm patiently (not really) waiting to get my hands on her.

Good luck with your decision.

Ed

NOTE: Here she is waiting for me:
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-05-2014, 07:00 PM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yeah... I need to stay away from Craigslist. Nearly pulled the trigger on a $400 FZR600 in a moment of weakness... I need a bike like I need a hole in the head. LOL

Comment

^^Really, you had a problem dropping $400 on a vintage motorcycle? Why mention it?
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I just looked at pics of the bike you almost lost your weakness to...are you kidding me?
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Its the time not the money. That bike would be like a black hole...

Comment

I Love My "T"

Yeah, you're right. I wish you would have said that from the get-go. I'm thinking, "you're nuts!" that would be a great project.

But, in fact...time is of the essence.

I was fortunate to get a bike that didn't need much work. I've paid my dues on her but it paid off on my trip to New Mexico. Musta put 3K+ miles on her while there from Oct 2013 till July 2014. And you can view my page to see the work I've done on her.

Good chat...seeya!

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

The New updates are happening quite frequently...interesting.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I have all the receipts from my rehab of my GS750E and no I have not added them up nor will I. It would probably scare the beejeeus out of me how much I spent on the bike. I have a guesstimate it would equal if not be a bit more then when I originally paid for the bike new. My thought is, gonna ride it, keep it rideable. Money isn't an object. Now if Ed would have just left his bike with me, the fun I would be having lol. Oh at this expense though lol. Look at this way, it would all nice an ready for him for the spring!
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Good Times

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                                I have all the receipts from my rehab of my GS750E and no I have not added them up nor will I. It would probably scare the beejeeus out of me how much I spent on the bike. I have a guesstimate it would equal if not be a bit more then when I originally paid for the bike new. My thought is, gonna ride it, keep it rideable. Money isn't an object.
                                Passion - You have it Bill; that and determination. Not everyone has the opportunity and wherewithal to make such decisions. I'm glad I met you buddy.

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                                Now if Ed would have just left his bike with me, the fun I would be having lol. Oh at this expense though lol. Look at this way, it would all nice an ready for him for the spring!
                                Now now Bill, you know I wanna get to know my bike. You woulda done maintenance that I need training on...specifically OJT (On-The-Job-Training). Plus your motivational words to do it myself kept my confidence going. I'd be buying parts left, right, and center and you'd gladly oblige in accepting the tasks.

I don't know when I'll be able to make that trip out there...I wonder if the company will send more work to Holloman. I'd be a good candidate to go out there again...I love road trips that pay me to go!

Seeya around my friend.

Ed
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X