Just acquired an 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just acquired an 1100E

Picked up this '83 GS1100E last week for $425. Motor runs great but leaks oil from every cam seal. Has some electrical gremlins: idiot lights for headlight, sidestand, taillight stay on when running. Charging system seems to keep the battery fully charged, though. Starter button does not actuate the starter, but it starts immediately when I use a screwdriver to short across the solenoid terminals. Air forks are shot--someone probably used a gas station air chuck to (over) inflate them. Can't decide whether to part it out or put it back on the road.

I have a photo, but can't figure out how to resize it to attach it here.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2015, 08:24 PM.

Greetings and Salutations,

A wiring harness cleanup, a new valve cover gasket, new fork seals, a few other maintenane items, and you could have a dream vintage bike.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Mr. Cliff: Thank you! The links you have provided will be invaluable. I just found the GS1100 wiring diagram on your site, and as soon as I can enlarge parts of it and print it out my battle with the electrical gremlins will begin! Again, thank you for the great info. It will be of tremendous assistance to me.

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by burkslaw View Post
        Picked up this '83 GS1100E last week for $425. Motor runs great but leaks oil from every cam seal and somewhere around the front crankcase mating surfaces. Has some electrical gremlins: idiot lights for headlight, sidestand, taillight stay on when running. Charging system seems to keep the battery fully charged, though. Starter button does not actuate the starter, but it starts immediately when I use a screwdriver to short across the solenoid terminals. Air forks are shot--someone probably used a gas station air chuck to (over) inflate them. Can't decide whether to part it out or put it back on the road.

I have a photo, but can't figure out how to resize it to attach it here.
        Welcome!

A bargain bike that runs for $425...NICE!

And it's an 1100 too. I paid $475 for my GS750TZ and was extremely happy I did.

Good to see the WELCOME message as well...good on you BassCliff!

What can't you figure out? Load the pic onto your profile after you establish a photo album...then copy the BB Code link and paste it to your reply.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Welcome......its an 83 1100e......dont part it.....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

OKGS1100E SMALL.jpg, my son just resized the photo.

Comment

After seeing the pic, I second my opinion on not parting it. In fact I think that was a steal. Looks like a great starting point for a resto or do the required maintenence and run as it is. You may want to lose that sidewinder pipe so you can turn though.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

another SMOKIN deal!

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  After seeing the pic, I second my opinion on not parting it. In fact I think that was a steal. Looks like a great starting point for a resto or do the required maintenence and run as it is. You may want to lose that sidewinder pipe so you can turn though.
                  I agree!!! What a great find! Enjoy it as it is or restore… you cannot lose either way.

Comment

Welcome to the site, good find, I didn't see that on Clist.
                    I'll third the, don't part it out sentiment, if you have a clear title.
                    If not, call me first, I have an '82 roller that will need a lot of parts, an engine being one of them.
                    I'm on the other side of the river in Lake Mary.(moving from Longwood as I type)
                    If you want to contact me, send a PM( Private Message) and GSR will notify me with an email.
                    :cool:GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Steal!

Whoa!

You got that for $425???

That was Fantastically fortunate. I am very envious of that deal! (Not really but Wow!)

This is the second bike I've seen with those type of pipes.

Definitely not recommending you parting this bike out.

Thanks for the pic...really sweet bike!

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Very nice and welcome to the forum.
                        No signature :(

Comment

An '83 1100e running for $400?!? What a steal!
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by burkslaw View Post
                            OK[ATTACH=CONFIG]37759[/ATTACH], my son just resized the photo.
                            You got that for $425!?! Damn. hell of a steal. Might want to custom bend your V&H system... You'll grind on any hard right turn... Trust me.
                            Cost like $15 to get a pipe made at a muffler shop...

WELCOME!!!!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2002 Honda Reflex 250
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                            2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                            Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Looks good. Looking at the rear caliper stay, appears to not be the round unit. If so, is the rear wheel perhaps a 3.5 inch GS1150 transplant? Is the front wheel a 16 inch piece?

And welcome to the site as well.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2015, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X