New guy from Florida - GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy from Florida - GS650L

Hello all. New guy from Florida here. I'm the proud new owner of a 1981 GS650L.

I only came across this site recently. I'd been looking for a good used UJM and this one popped up on Craigslist last week. I was also looking at a couple of KZ750's and a 78 Yamaha. This one was by far in the best shape. New tires, decent chrome, excellent seat, and perfect paint. Well taken care of and ready to ride.

In researching the bike I came across this site, and the more I read the more I was sure I picked the right one.

After the purchase, I had to ride it about 50 miles back home. This being Florida, I was baptised in the first 10 minutes. Then the skies cleared up and the sun dried me out.

As for riding history, this is my first street bike. I used to ride off road occasionally back in my 20's (I'm 40 now). And I'd putz around the neighborhood on my dad's Sportster when he still had it. I knew how to operate a bike, but now I'm learning to ride. I took the MSF course last month in preparation. I'm looking forward to getting out for an hour or two on the weekends and getting to know the in's and out's of my new ride.

I hear you guys are fond of pictures. Sorry I don't have one of only the bike just yet. You can ignore the happy guy standing behind it.

- Jason
    Attached Files

Nice looking bike and my favorite color! But how tall are you? I ask cause this critter is mighty cramped for those beyond 69 inches. Glad you took MSF course and dirt bike riding is where I did most of my learning. Catch up,on maintenance and this will be a nice reliable ride.

edit. Oh yeah, ditch those handlebars ASAP-look,for some narrow non pullback ones as on dirt bike.
    Last edited by tom203; 01-12-2015, 12:24 PM. Reason: Horror
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had a 1983 GS650Gl last year - It looked a lot like yours.
      I only rode it a little bit before I sold it..but I found several things ..
      1) It was very quick and nimble -
      2) I am too big for it at 6' and near 300# (so I found and bought a GS850 instead)

Comment

Thanks! I'm right at 6' tall. Probably pushing 6'1" with boots, but it's surprisingly comfortable. Maybe it's my proportions. I'm not cramped at all. On the pegs, my upper legs are parallel to the ground and snug to the tank.
        Maintenance is definitely going to be my learning curve.

Comment

Great looking bike. Some will poke fun at the "L" but I like them. I have a "G" and an "L." Though it's not needed, those engine cases will shine up fairly easily if you get obsessive about the looks. Also, just so you know, the actual designation is 650GL even though the badges say 650L. The "G" denotes shaft-drive and the "L" denotes something like "Sporty/Cruiserish."
          Last edited by 1948man; 01-12-2015, 04:25 PM.
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Hi Jason,

Very clean looking L you have there! My 850GL is not so clean but I love riding it all the same. And unfortunately, I'm up here in Michigan where it's getting down to -6F tonight. Still a good 3 months of winter left and I'm already suffering withdrawals.

Maintenance is definitely going to be my learning curve.
            You've picked the right bike and come to the right place. Maintenance on your GS is a breeze and there is more knowledge of these bikes here than anywhere else. Here's your mega-welcome which comes with links to the factory service manuals, tons of tutorials and other incredibly useful info: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by flajason View Post

In researching the bike I came across this site, and the more I read the more I was sure I picked the right one. ....
              Jason,

Welcome to GSR.

yes, in addition to the bike itself, this forum is a good reason to have a Suzuki (if you are going to have any 80s bike).

Good that you took the MSF class.

Thanks for posting pic.
              Do annoy all us folks from the land of the ice and snow with more pictures.

Do a little research on the hub/spline in the rear wheel.

Last edited by Redman; 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Jason,

I am just up the road from you if you need some help. Just send me a PM or link to my email. I do have some different handle bars if you want to try something else.
                David
                1998 Suzuki Bandit
                1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                1978 GS1000 - gone
                1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

NICE BIKE..

I'm a bit biased..

IMG_20140827_165704_948 - Copy.jpg

Comment

Thanks again to all for the welcome. After 18 days of ownership and about 250 miles added to odometer, I am really loving it.

I rode to and from work 4 days in the past two weeks when the weather cooperated, and took it out for about an hour each both days this past weekend. The weather this past weekend was great. A little windy Saturday afternoon, but Sunday was perfect. On Sunday, it went over the 50K mark on total miles.

I'm doing some more thorough inspections and putting together my to do list.

First item is the easiest, which is mirrors. I have no right side mirror, and there's a lot of surface rust on the left one. Ordered a new pair which should be here by the end of the week. Cosmetically, I also want to clean up the exhaust pipes and engine covers. Took a small wire brush to the cooling fins and got some gunk and grime out. Any good topics, articles or suggestions on general cleaning? I browsed through the appearance subforum but nothing jumped out.

I checked the air filter, and it's in good shape, but the box had a loose seal. The top was fine, but the plastic latch on the bottom was broken and it was sealed with duct tape. The old tape was coming loose, so I resealed it. That made a noticeable improvement to cold starting. It still started okay before, but was always with full choke and constant choke/throttle adjustments for the first five minutes or so. Now I only have to choke it fully for about 2-3 seconds on start, drop it down to half choke which keeps it at 2000rpm. It stays there for about 5-10 seconds more before the revs start to climb again, then I can take the choke off and it idles just fine from there on out. I'll look into getting a new box, but that part seems to be pretty scarce.

The throttle cable is getting pulled when the handle bar is turned all the way right. Starts revving when it's about 3/4 turned. Is that a common thing that I'll just have to live with? I've adjusted it so it's not as bad. It was opening up to nearly half throttle when turned all the way to the right. Now it's somewhere between 1/8 - 1/4 at full turn. If that's not supposed to happen, I guess I'll have to re-route it. Or if it's typical, I've got it dialed in to where it's manageable.

PO changed the oil before purchase, and levels and color are good. Didn't get how long ago carbs were last cleaned. Boots are in pretty good shape. I don't think the bike has ever sat still long enough for them to gum up, but it's still on my list to set a baseline. Soon, but not urgent. Also not sure when the last valve adjustment was done which is another item for setting a baseline. Same for the shaft drive oil. Also need to check the plugs, but from the way it's been running I'm expecting them to check out okay. I checked the brake fluid and it's good, pads are good. Also have to check the front forks, but they seem okay. It seems very sound and well put together. Am I overlooking anything big?

As for riding impressions, I am impressed. Whatever you ask it to do, it'll do without complaint and lets you know it can even do a little more if you want. Really impressed with the acceleration even though I don't think I've used more than half throttle at any point yet.

I am starting to see how it might be a little cramped for someone my height. Thankfully, I'm still relatively flexible for 40 so it's not uncomfortable, but it's not exactly relaxed either. I only begin to notice after about 45 minutes and my butt objects before my thighs. Don't get me wrong, the seat is comfortable, it's just that I can't even sit in my office chair for more than an hour without getting up and moving around.

I'm also okay with the handlebars, at least for now. I can see though why many go for the straighter bars. Seems like it would make pushing into curves more natural. Instead of just pushing down going into a curve, I feel like I have to push down and foward a little. The end result is that I wind up taking curves more conservatively which isn't a bad thing. At least until I get more experience.

I'm not quite comfortable at higher speeds yet. It's not the speed so much as the wind. I'm perfectly comfortable at 45mph and below. Still comfortable up to around 55-60 but the buffeting gets annoying. If it gets too bad, it's manageable with a bit of forward lean which reduces the vortex between my chest and the handlebars. Above 60 and I almost have to hug the tank. The bike handles it okay, it's the big sail sitting in the seat. I think an investment in a fairing will be in the not too distant future. Or, as a new-ish rider, it just may take some time to adjust to it.

I was getting a little worried because I though maybe I wasn't going as fast as the speedo indicated. I'd be riding at 5-10 over the speed limit and some cars were still closing fast on me. One passing me on a double yellow in a residential area. Turns out they were just being jerks. I calibrated it against my GPS. 40 indicated on speedo, 40.3 on GPS. 55 on speedo, 55.6 on GPS, and so on. So yeah, stupid drivers around here. But that probably goes for a lot of places.

That's a summary of my first two weeks or so. I'm still learning a lot and having a great time doing it.

- Jason

Comment

Welcome to one of the nuttiest places on the web but also the greatest place to make good friends and learn all that there is to know about these great old bikes.

We have a saying here that one bike is not enough and I can almost guarantee that after you cut your teeth on that baby you will get another bigger and more comfortable bike for your size. Then likely more after that.

There is so much here for you to learn it is difficult to tell you where to start other than have a look through each of the sub heading in the forum and do some searches in the archives. Every issue GS owners have faced are in here somewhere......usually 10 times over.

The biggest issue with these old bike and old bikes in general is weak electrical systems usually caused by neglect and helped along by corrosion. Lots of information on this subject and a wonderful guide to wading through it in the Stator Papers on the main page. You will want to get a digital multimeter if you don't already have one and check your state of charge. Easy to do just refer to the aforementioned guide and something you need to stay on top of if you don't want to be stuck 50 miles from home some day.

Its good that you took a course to start your riding experience and in true GS fashion I would like to introduce you to the words most of us live by as displayed in this acronym ATGATT, "All the Gear All the Time". Get the best gear you can afford and wear it all the time. Boots, jeans, gloves, jacket and helmet at a minimum. So many of us have been spared pain and suffering by living to this tenet.

Riding is huge fun as you now know but as you also will learn it is hugely dangerous. Keep your bike up to snuff, keep your gear on and most of all, keep your head on a swivel.

Enjoy!

Comment

Straighter bars will help somewhat with cramping and probably pickup the slack you need in throttle cable to eliminate the tugging on carbs. You'll probably get used to buffeting stuff fairly quick- coming off dirt bikes (and being away from bikes for 30 years), I found it annoying at first. Absolutely get full face helmet, this will streamline your head.
                        make sure you check tire date code- no matter how wonderful tires appear!
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

For a little help in the wind-deflection department, take a look at my son's bike (click link in sig). It's an '82, but virtually the same as yours. He has lower, flatter bars, along with a small windshield that really helps with comfort while riding, without detracting from the look of the bike. Be sure to connect with portdave and take advantage of his offer to try another set of bars. Note that, along with the lower bars, you will likely need shorter cables. They are available from the 650E, G or M.

Your engine speed should not change when you move the bars. Check to see that the cable is anchored firmly at the carbs. There is a bracket mounted on the top of carb #3 that holds the end of the cable, which should be nutted to both sides of the bracket. If that is tight, check for amount of play at the other end of the cable, at the handgrip. There should be a little bit of play. If it's tight, engine speed will rise when bars are turned. Can get real exciting in low-speed parking lot maneuvers.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

...Yep....

Time to tinker and make it yours completely.
                            A reasonable windscreen will help and make the ride more comfortable.
                            There are many "universal" style shields out there so shop online a bit and you may find one you really like.
                            Removing the wind from the chest is much better and more enjoyable in my experience..

My 850 -- A national Cycle Plexistar 2 windscreen

Comment

For cleaning those cooling fins... I took a paint stirring stick and wrapped a scotchbrite scuff pad around it with a little bit of cleaner sprayed onto the pad. For grease I used a degreaser _ Benjamin Moore paint makes an excellent degreaser called KP83. It is an emulsifier and converts grease into detergent. It is a little laborious getting into all the fins but after a while you stand back and look at it and it sure does a nice job. The paint stick works well as you can whittle the end to get into all the little nooks and crannies. And the scuff pads come in different grits as well. I started out with medium and finished with the fine grit. Get the 3M pads as they are a little more abrasive than the cheaper ones which are mostly nylon or plastic. The pads are large enough that you can fold them over the stick and when they get clogged just move them a bit. My bike sat for 20 years and was badly tarnished. It took about an hour to do each quarter of the fins. A glass of wine or a beer help to dissipate the monotony of the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X