Forever Suzuki fan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forever Suzuki fan...

I guess this is where introductions take place, at least it's my understanding. I have "technically" owned an '80 GS850g since new. It was resurrected from dead on three occasions and unfortunately has sat derilict in my ex wives now ex husbands barn (my son placed it there to "get it going" 6 years ago).

She lived her useful life mostly as she was delivered. Juices and hard parts redone first in the late '80s when I had the pleasure of telling my X the bike outlived the marriage. Still true today, sort of.

She he got a third life in '94 with some port matching, pipes and help from K&N and dyno jet. A fourth and final rebirth in '97 with a Pichler fairing, rear sets and Clipons. Rode the old girl in as spirited a manner as she could take for several years.

Then she sat. For years until my boy wanted to "fix her up". Her electrics had taken a vacation and weren't coming home anytime soon. My assumption is stator issues. And I understand now the tank has tanked out and now is ulcerated.

But it I miss her. I have a little CX500, but I miss the seamless rideability that was (arguably) the finest UJM ever produced. I'd love to take a runner of same vintage and re do the suspension with better units and keep the other bits or return it to pre rearset/fairing mode.

Someday, I swear, I'll enjoy it or another again. Until then, I'll just have memories.

I think we all have a particular machine we get misty about.....Are you preparing to embark on a father / son resto or just reminiscing?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just introducing myself as an old 2 valve (and triple, twin and single smoker) Suzuki fan and to apologize for riding a wierd Honda...

I'd love a running 850g again.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_John View Post
        Just introducing myself as an old 2 valve (and triple, twin and single smoker) Suzuki fan and to apologize for riding a wierd Honda...

Then get off your butt and get one!!!! Just kidding. Seriously though, there are plenty still running so finding one should not be too difficult.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

weird is right. I had one too.. kept dropping it on my driveway...
          Get the suzuki going.. the thread title is neat. i love 'em also.. even drive a 4 wheeled one. (91 geo tracker which is really a suzuki sidekick haha)

Comment

Welcome to the site, John.
            There is a great classified section on this site for parts and bikes. No excuses for not having a GS running down the road.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              There is a great classified section on this site for parts and bikes. No excuses for not having a GS running down the road.
              True story. Fix her up , sell her whole or part her out, we are here to help either way. Edit your location details and perhaps there is someone near you that would help out or take her off your hands whole.. I'd be interested in some parts of you go the part out route
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Just introducing my self as an old 2 valve (and triple, twin and single smoker) Suzuki fan and to apologize for riding a wierd Honda...

2 strokes......nice. ..Viperg has one of the coolest GT750 restomods ive seen.
                No need to apologize for the Honda...at least you're riding. I have an old scooter that I have a strange affection for.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hiya Farmer_John, I'm a stone's throw away from you. Live in Ypsi and work in Ann Arbor.

Anything in particular stopping you from getting the 850 going again? As I'm sure you're aware, these bikes are easy and fairly cheap to work on. The hive mind here at GSR knows absolutely everything there is to know about them. And if you ever want a hand with the project, let me know.

Welcome!
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    Hiya Farmer_John, I'm a stone's throw away from you. Live in Ypsi and work in Ann Arbor.

Anything in particular stopping you from getting the 850 going again? As I'm sure you're aware, these bikes are easy and fairly cheap to work on. The hive mind here at GSR knows absolutely everything there is to know about them. And if you ever want a hand with the project, let me know.

Welcome!
                    well, YA! Primarily short term is the CX that has turned into a project in and of itself and spread between my apartment in Pittsfield twsp. and Howell...

It'll happen. I swear. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X