Newbie 1980GS110L bought New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie 1980GS110L bought New

I am the proud owner of a 1980GS1100L that I bought new in San Jose, California. It has 23K miles on it. Always garaged when not on a road trip. Now live in Austin, TX. It is a little hot to ride in the summer but got my son a 07 600rr so I want to get my bike back to top condition so we can ride together. My father (83 years young) comes to Austin for the winters and he has a Honda trike. We can ride with 3 generations!! Just rebuilt the carbs (first time for me) and having a problem with gas leaking. I think I have a stuck float.

Originally posted by dlcosner View Post
    I am the proud owner of a 1980GS1100L that I bought new in San Jose, California. It has 23K miles on it. Always garaged when not on a road trip. Now live in Austin, TX. It is a little hot to ride in the summer but got my son a 07 600rr so I want to get my bike back to top condition so we can ride together. My father (83 years young) comes to Austin for the winters and he has a Honda trike. We can ride with 3 generations!! Just rebuilt the carbs (first time for me) and having a problem with gas leaking. I think I have a stuck float.
    Welcome to GSR.

An original owner, no less.

Sometimes a stuck float can be knocked loose by tapping on carb (or a little more than tapping).
    Stuck float would start leaking gas in a couple minutes.
    Problem with petcock not sealing (or left in PRIme) may take a few hours.
    Either way, should also be concerned about gas having run into cycliders and into crankcase oil, so check the oil.

Do get the 1100 on the road and head to Tx Hill Country.
    I suspect that is probably one reason your dad comes there.

Thanks for introducing yourself some.
    Do add pictures.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You will love that bike once it is on the road and tuned.
      Welcome

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up