• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner of a 1982 650gl

I bought my 650gl in July 2014 for $600 and while it was put together,
    It must of been dropped and been sitting in the outdoors for some time,
    the bike was rough!
    after working on it for a few months painting some things, cleaning the carbs, oil change, plugs, and new battery, she fired up... Continued tuning it and fixed a severe gas leak from the carbs, had to do a little welding on the exhaust, and buy new tires and put a new taillight but I am proud to say yesterday I finally walked into the dmv to register and title her, and polished her up and she is firing up just fine.
    having some issues with the tachometer and speedo(broken cable on the tach, and speedo looks broken) but I'll fix that soon enough, and my aftermarket brake light... I came on here to see if I could solve my brake issue but look like a good forum to learn and give input on something I am having a strong interest in.
    This bike is my first and I absolutely love it, maybe it's the hours I've spent with it listening to music this past winter.
    Anyways I look forward to checking out others bikes and enjoying mine.

having issues posting pictures but I will do so very soon

Comment

Welcome.

You are going to have to try again with the pictures, though.

How to post pictures.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Comment

".......this past winter. " wait a minute , you bought it last July and winter is over? Lucky you! Mine is hibernating for two more months.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Lol yea our winters aren't too bad, we had a little bit of rain for a while but today we had a nice 70 degree day, only thing is the day light is still short lol...

Comment

WB,

Welcome to GSR.

You do that painting?

Looks like someone modified the L out of it (replaced the handlebars).

I had 82 GS650 for 20+ years, although a G. Great bike.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yessir, did all the painting myself, somebody else told me the handlebars had been replaced and also been lowered to hit the tank on tight turns.
                I love this bike, really want to paint the engine and pipes all black as well.

Comment

geeze I wish pipes stayed that nice up here, if I could afford the shipping I'd send you my rusty beat pipes with my custom mufflers in exchange for your nice clean chrome! it would be a shame to cover them up, if mine weren't so bad I wouldn't be painting them. nice work, getting it back in running shape though. I'm at about 75% right now, re-jetting this spring. then I'll be doing the dance too.

Comment

honestly that was the best part for me, doing the cosmetic has been nice but man getting it tuned and firing perfect really has been the best thing, it idles beautifully, all this chrome had the oxidation and took a little elbow grease to "shine" it up still a work in progress was looking at videos on youtube about polishing and cleaning the engine all up... maybe I won't paint it?
                    just ordered new mirrors, recently ordered the tach and speedo cable but the speedo cable busted within 6/10 of a mile from the usage i guess? made a weird noise as I was riding figured it could of been the cheap cable so looking at OEM and motion pro cables now, tach is working fine with cheap cable...
                    also looking at the GS650L emblems now on eBay... should order those in the next few days or so... need to replace horn and the bike should pretty much be done, other than the neutral light which turns on after extended usage and the 4 gear indicator light not working...

Comment

Nice looking L. I miss being able to ride my 650g

Comment

Working...
                      X