Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie form Dexter,NY

1980 GS550E.jpg
    hey guys!! my name is mike!! new to motorcycles but have always wanted one finally just picked up a 1980 GS550E!!

Welcome Mike. What a nice first post, a picture and all!

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome from another Mike!

Are you sure that's not an L model? I've never had a 550 but the stepped seat and handlebars look like they're possibly from an L?

Either way, lots to read and learn on here, do the basic maintanence and cleaning of the bike - carbs, make sure the boots/airbox seals (unless you're going with pods) electrical connections, do the quick charge tests and revised stator tests and replace the R/R.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Thanks mikerophone!! I'm not really sure because vin tag says GS550E but side cover says GS550L!! Which brings up my first question what is the difference between the E and L??

Comment

The L is more of a "cruiser" style with the stepped seat, smaller tank, high handlebars and single disc brake.
          The E has a flatter seat, a compartment behind the seat instead of a chrome fender, slightly lower handlebars and the tank holds more gas.
          Welcome to the site.
          Last edited by steve murdoch; 01-30-2015, 09:25 PM.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve! I just didnt understand VIN gs550e but bike looks and screams L!!

Comment

Working...
            X