Old 850G owner new 1100E owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old 850G owner new 1100E owner

New guy from South Central Minnesota. I've owned my 80 850G going on at least ten years. I got it for payment of a bunch of old bikes being stored in my barn. It didn't run but didn't take much to get it going. The metallic brown paint left a lot to be desired and i ended up repainting it a nice Viper blue with black on the side of the tank outlined with orange and silver pinstripes. I also swapped out the old handlebars for superbike style bars.

It's been a good bike to me but I hadn't ridden it for the past few years because of gunked up carbs after winter storage a few years back. I took the carbs off to clean them and never got around to getting them back on. My desire to get it back on the road led me to find another GS. I wanted to convert it to chain drive but after searching for a 750 case and coming up empty I decided to just look for an 1100E instead.

I'll get her going again but I found a half ways decent 81 1100E. It was a long trip down to Burr Oak Kansas but was the only affordable bike I could find at the time and decided it would fit the bill. I didn't get it for a song and probably could have done better but I felt it was solid enough for a start.

He didn't have a key for it and it looked like someone lost it and tried starting it with a screw driver at one point which looked like it didn't work very well. I wondered why the air box had been pulled off the carbs and was crossing my fingers it wasn't going to be a problem.

I got it back and cleaned it up. Changed oil and spark plugs and checked everything over. I got it to run for a bit but the carbs definitely need to be gone through which I expected to do from the start. I'm just happy that it started and sounded half ways decent the little bit of time I had it running. Chasing issues buying a non running bike from the start can be a big headache. I think I did ok.

I'm currently in the middle of upgrading the bike to a modern usd and mono shock suspension. I know some purists don't like messing with originality but I've always wanted to do this to my 850 but the shaft drive was the limiting factor always holding me back from doing it.

I'm also going for an older look and switching to the older 1100E tank and bodywork. It's an 81 and have seen some bikes with the 80 style tank. My only guess is they switched half way through 81 to the newer 82 and 83 style tanks like I bought mine with. You are probably wondering why go through all the work but I figure why not? I like a challenge!

I'm sure I'll be asking questions. I've done more research on the build that actually work on it so far lol.

Now for a few pictures.

When I got her home.

Stripped down and cleaning her up.

Current state of affairs.

Gen 2 Hayabusa forks? Look forward to your build thread. I think you'll have the only GS with radial mounted brakes...
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

You're bike is an 82, which may answer some confusion over the gas tank difference. Good luck with the project- ill be following along.
      Based on what youve shown us, you might like this. Hayabuser's gs restomod
      10945740_10153026382934921_4786022810793487169_n.jpg

Also, whats the car lurking in the background?
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good eye guys on the forks. I bought them before doing any research and was nervous thinking they were going to be too short. I've found at least one person using 2005 GSXR 750 forks on an GS1100 which from my research are only 5mm longer. The plan is to build 4-2-1 exhaust so I should gain a bit of ground clearance there. If I'm still to low I know of a place in Illinois that does custom triples and will probably have a set of stepped uppers made. I think they only do full sets which are fairly expensive but have dove in this far already so why not finish the job right.

I have everything for the rear swap too which is from a 2007 GSXR 750. The front will also get the same wheel as the rear. I just mounted the Bridgstone BT-016 tonight. I've never mounted a motorcycle tire by hand before. I've done plenty of car and semi tires. This was an experience compared to them for sure.

I still need to buy the front wheel and tire as my budget allows. I've spent plenty on this project already and am not anywhere near finished. I think I have a good start though. I have yet to mount the swing arm and mono shock. Hopefully it isn't too big of a headache. I work in a custom metal shop so I don't expect it to give me too many problems. Crossing my fingers.

Funny you can catch a glimpse of my 850G in the background. The car in the other pictures is my 64 Impala SS. Kind of a resto mod itself. I wanted to do some work to that this winter but got the itch to work on bikes instead.

Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2015, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLiner1100 View Post
          Good eye guys on the forks. I bought them before doing any research and was nervous thinking they were going to be too short. I've found at least one person using 2005 GSXR 750 forks on an GS1100 which from my research are only 5mm longer. The plan is to build 4-2-1 exhaust so I should gain a bit of ground clearance there. If I'm still to low I know of a place in Illinois that does custom triples and will probably have a set of stepped uppers made. I think they only do full sets which are fairly expensive but have dove in this far already so why not finish the job right.
          Very similar front end to my bike (B-King). The forks are bit longer on my machine but the brakes are the same. You could look into a B-King type top of the triple. Nice to retain the stock bars for sure!
          Jedz Moto
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2002 Honda Reflex 250
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I never thought about the B-King triple. I was looking at the CNC Cool and Comfy top clamp. It looks to be about $240 shipped. I think that's a pretty good deal for a billet clamp with risers. Looks nice too.

Find your Topyoke Kit Select your bike manufacturer & model If your bike model isn't listed, please click here LATEST NEWS REVIEWS READ

I want to run the Spiegler superbike fat bars. Same type of bars I had on my 850 which I really liked.

Do you have any idea what it takes to convert the front end to a GSXR wheel? I searched the subject and it looks like I only need different axle spacers. Are the centers of the rotors different?

I'm having a hard time finding an affordable front wheel. It seems like the majority of them are bent. I'll probably end up spending more on the front wheel and tire than I did on the back lol.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Ha, I was thinking Impala/Biscayne, but didnt want to come off as a tool. Back in another life I rode around in a 66 El Camino.
              That bkack/orange gas tank looks spectacular. Original find or repaint?
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

The best bet is to convert the whole front end with wheel, you will only need to figure out is how to mount to the triple to the neck of the frame. Not sure why you'd want to swap front rims from a smaller bike, the GSX-1300 wheels are more then adequate...

My 2 cents...

I'm really not the best to walk you through on this for I've never done anything like this... Usually when I run the usefulness out of a bike I just get a new one. I did a 7-11 swap on my 750, that was about it... Upgraded the rear shocks with 1100 shocks... I just upgraded the GR650 rear shock with an R6 unit... But when it comes to manufacturing bits to make things work together I usually walk away, save the money I would have used on parts and invest in a machine that's rolled off the factory with what I want installed. Why I bought the FZ1 and now the GSX1300BK

If customized rides is you thing, then go for it! trust me I'll be watching for I think it's an awesome idea... I just can't help too much. Start a rebuild thread or post your concerns in the appropriate area on this forum I'd start a thread here:
                Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Good luck! Welcome again and have fun with it!

.. I'll be watching...
                Jedz Moto
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2002 Honda Reflex 250

Comment

I just picked up the tank. I found it on Ebay from a cycle salvage as an original take off. I figure it must have been from an insurance claim as it has one small ding and a couple minor creases in it. I'm hoping a paintless dent guy can fix it.

Yeah I should start another thread for my build for any tech questions. Just a mention about the front wheel is I've read a lot of Busa guys swap out to GSXR wheels because they are lighter. I think they look better too and it will match my 750 rear as well.

Since this isn't a build thread I might as well throw in a picture of my car. I bought in back around 1990 when I was stationed at Holloman AFB in New Mexico. Found it sitting next to a trailer house and got up the nerve to ask if they wanted to sell it. The paint is ROUGH but is a very solid car. Not completely rust free but close. It's an original AC power window car with a 327 powerglide.

It sat up until two years ago when I decided to pull it out of the shed and get it back on the road. I've done a lot of work to it although it doesn't really look like it. Completely new front suspension with Global West tubular upper and lower arms and Viking adjustable coil overs. I also swapped the steering box for a Borgeson unit. I haven't done much to the engine other than MSD ignition and distributor, Hooker headers, Edelbrock RPM intake and a Holley 750 carb. Last year I installed new Procar bucket seats, new carpet and a real wood Grant steering wheel. It sure made the car a lot more comfortable to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLiner1100 View Post
                    New guy from South Central Minnesota.
                    You probably know about sport wheels in Jordan. Not sure if they have any better parts than what you could find on ebay. Where r u ?
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I live just west of New Ulm.

I've been up to Sport Wheels before but wasn't that impressed.Their customer service isn't the best and the prices aren't any better. I tried using their parts search on their web site but it was completely useless. I guess I could call them but it says they are closed during the winter.

Ebay has just about everything I need and I don't need to spend any gas money. You can see what the part looks like before you buy it rather than getting a description over the phone. I'd hate to drive that far and it wasn't what I wanted.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Im diggin on the Imp. Paint shmaint, its a cool looking ride.
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

The front and rear lines are reversed between the 63 and 64 Chevies. I always wanted to put a 64 front clip on a 63 to get that dip in the lines on both ends, and watch everyone try to figure out what the hell it is.

Comment

Looking at the two cars the average person would never know the door is the same except for different trim holes. As far as the paint, yeah I don't really care. A lot of people say they like it. I'm one of them. I think I would cry if I ever wrecked the car but it's not a big deal now if the paint gets scratched even though I don't like to see that happen either.

Comment

Working...
                            X