No announcement yet.

Hi all..............from Essex....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I joined the SOC and went to a few local meetings but none of the guys (some of whom had been SOC members for 20 years plus) had Suzukis. Seemed odd to me. Was just another bunch of bikers meeting for a coffee on a Sunday morning talking about how the country is going to the dogs. I think my East Kent section has pretty much folded now - too much red tape about run outs and insurance and wot not.

Also a member of the VJMC - Kent Section. I will be going to some of their meetings this year.

The most lively forum is of course this one (which is the best bike forum period) but next best for shooting the breeze with like minded UK GS Owners is the Facebook group (see my signature). If you are not a FB member - it's worth joining just to be part of this group. Daily pics and technicals discussions. Can't beat it.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I Love England!

Originally posted by Rikkd View Post
      you right Ed.......there are some lovely roads and villages around there.........

Finchingfield is still popular.............

but feel you may have less cramped roads over there..........I'm jealous.
      I would agree with you on this...if I was in Southern New Mexico. But densely populated cities leave a trail of unpredictable drivers who ONE has to anticipate their selfish decisions that impede OUR direct line of vision. (I can't believe I just spit that out).

My riding days began in 2011...and I started on this conveyance:

I learned to drive on the opposite side of the road with the steering wheel on the right. Can't imagine what it would have been like riding a motorcycle in England...I probably wouldn't be here.

She's long gone...I shed a tear. Anyway, glad to have you on board here. It's a nice place with plenty of knowledgeable people.

Here's what I ride now in case you haven't noticed: (Pic is from southern New Mexico)

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-20-2015, 07:26 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Funny that Ed.........I had a 750Y from brand new as well................used to do lots of trackdays on it.........was by far the best track bike......nimble as a 600.......and nearly as fast as the 1000......

Richard, as you know have joined the facebook group...........and look forward to all us GS Suzuki owners meeting up................I am going to join the VJMC, when I get around to posting of the cheque (remember those)...........it would be a lot easier if you could join up online and payp*l the fee..........

ps.....I have a soft spot for Kawasaki's as well..........
        Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2015, 07:58 AM.

Comment

londonboards - looked in on your FB group, too - looks very good. Will need to sort myself a FB account!

and GSXR7ED - I'm feeling very old tonight after reading "My riding days began in 2011." - I started back in 1972.., maybe that's why I never owned bikes like your GSXR - my poor ol' back couldn't take it! Nearest I got to that style was a 1977 GT380A with Rickman fairing and ace bars - happy days! Regularly got my knee down with that one - problem was it was only when I parted company from the bike as the centre stand dug in for the umpteenth time!

At least age has brought a level of sanity, and respect for my bikes, so its nice 'n steady and sitting upright nowadays - early GS750's are perfect for that.

Comment

Age is just a number

Originally posted by redliner View Post
            and GSXR7ED - I'm feeling very old tonight after reading "My riding days began in 2011." - I started back in 1972.., maybe that's why I never owned bikes like your GSXR - my poor ol' back couldn't take it! Nearest I got to that style was a 1977 GT380A with Rickman fairing and ace bars - happy days! Regularly got my knee down with that one - problem was it was only when I parted company from the bike as the centre stand dug in for the umpteenth time!

At least age has brought a level of sanity, and respect for my bikes, so its nice 'n steady and sitting upright nowadays - early GS750's are perfect for that.
            I just didn't get around to riding as a teenager in the mid 80s before my military career started, then marriage, kids. By the time I finished 25 years of service, I finally realized it was time to do something for me.

Not the best bike to start on but fear was limiting my shear enjoyment of that bike. It made me want to lose weight as well...and riding a sports bike takes core strength...as you know.

Anyhow, the GS is definitely tamer and fun to ride. Thx for the reply...and age is just a number...at least, that's what my 72 year old mother tells me.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Appreciation

Funny that Ed.........I had a 750Y from brand new as well................used to do lots of trackdays on it.........was by far the best track bike......nimble as a 600.......and nearly as fast as the 1000......

Richard, as you know have joined the facebook group...........and look forward to all us GS Suzuki owners meeting up................I am going to join the VJMC, when I get around to posting of the cheque (remember those)...........it would be a lot easier if you could join up online and payp*l the fee..........

ps.....I have a soft spot for Kawasaki's as well..........
              That's amazing! You had the exact model as me! I needed many more years of riding that bike to even get 1/10th of its capabilities. One has to work their way into a monster like that...as a beginner, that bike was monstrous.

It would have been nice to keep her but things happen and life goes on.

Ed
              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-21-2015, 11:08 AM.
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Switch

Apologies to you Rik, for changing gears in your thread.

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

No apologies necessary Ed............its good chatting........

I do still. Love my sportsbikes......but a few years ago i got off my gsxr1000 with my painted arai and one piece racing leathers on......and caught a glimpse of a 50 year old bloke dressed as a space cadet.......at that point i sort of realised im getting to old for the race-reps........and decided to grow old sort of gracefully.......

it is nice not having to prepare yourself 2 hours in advance to go for a ride...now.....armoured jeans and jacket on.....and away you go......

Comment

Race Bike Preparation

No apologies necessary Ed............its good chatting........

I do still. Love my sportsbikes......but a few years ago i got off my gsxr1000 with my painted arai and one piece racing leathers on......and caught a glimpse of a 50 year old bloke dressed as a space cadet.......at that point i sort of realised im getting to old for the race-reps........and decided to grow old sort of gracefully.......

it is nice not having to prepare yourself 2 hours in advance to go for a ride...now.....armoured jeans and jacket on.....and away you go......
                    That's too bad you feel that way about sportsbikes. A realization process that you shared with us...thanks.

For me, it's different. I'll be 49 this year and I have yet to do a track day. The whole process would be new/exciting to me. I'm trying to stay conditioned because I believe my track-day will come. Right now, my current job is leaning towards making a change. I have to get through it and determine how happy I want to be in this job.

When I ride my GS, it's not with a one-piece. Jeans & steel-toe boots accompany my helmet and riding jacket/gloves. It's great to get out...very soothing...and I miss it terribly at the moment.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Man.....cliffs website is somthing else isnt it?....!!!!

just read the stator papers.......got to check it out now......and do the coil relay mod.....and get my honda r+r........and....and........and!!!!

Comment

May I suggest that you read a bit about the "series"(SH-775) verses "shunt" r&r before you buy the honda unit. Posplayr has done quite a bit of research on them. Sorry I don't have a link for you. Cliff has done us all a great service.

cg
                        Last edited by Charlie G; 03-01-2015, 01:38 AM.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

just read the stator papers.......got to check it out now......and do the coil relay mod.....and get my honda r+r........and....and........and!!!!
                          Get a Shindengen SH-775 RR instead and you won't look back. Once and for all cure.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks all......will do...

And now the fun begins?......

Comment

Hi Rik,welcome to the site from another newby.A nice clean bike you have there.
                              Still finding my way on here but I`m sure we have both ended up on a great forum.

My own bike a 1989 registered 850g is still on its original electrical components with 36k on the clock,it has been ridden though most of the time with its headlamp on.
                              I will do some electrical mods soon,most suzuki folk think I`ve been very lucky not to have suffered any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by fm12 View Post
                                Hi Rik,welcome to the site from another newby.A nice clean bike you have there.
                                Still finding my way on here but I`m sure we have both ended up on a great forum.

My own bike a 1989 registered 850g is still on its original electrical components with 36k on the clock,it has been ridden though most of the time with its headlamp on.
                                I will do some electrical mods soon,most suzuki folk think I`ve been very lucky not to have suffered any problems.
                                I would say having the headlamp on has preserved the stator, but with the standard reg-rec they're always teetering on the brink of disaster anyway, and the onward march of time will eventually take its toll, resulting in poorer thermal and/or electrical insulation, leading to inevitable failure.
                                I'm deliberately running an old stator (one that was already discoloured and would probably have failed by now if coupled to an ordinary R-R) with an SH-775, partly because that's what was to hand at the time of the last replacement, but partly because I'm curious to see how long it lasts with a kinder regulator. It's been in for half a year now and I can ride around with headlamp on or off as I please.
                                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X