No announcement yet.

Hi all..............from Essex....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been looking into the threads etc..........I can see the Honda R+R is a good simple solution to a problem, that is obviously more than good enough for most of our bikes.....
    the newer technology is the next step up...........jury's out on which way I'll go.....

...duaneage has put a lot of time and effort into his Honda kits and for 55 dollars an absolute steal....you can be back on the road with a more robust solution for less than a night out down the pub.

55 bucks posted.....that's 37 GBP.

next step is polaris regulator, in Europe (to save on any possible VAT and duty)

50 GBP including postage.(from Poland)

and the triumph lead which gives you your connectors

8.17 gbp

so a total of 58.17 GBP............

Comment

Hello from Essex, Ontario, Canada and welcome the the forum!

Cheers!

Comment

I got one from duaneage purely on the basis that he has sold loads of them to members on here and if you had any problems he would sort it out for you. His units come with the cables set up for you to crimp and play. Very nicely done.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
          Hello from Essex, Ontario, Canada and welcome the the forum!

Cheers!
          Nice to see you. New members always welcome.

Please go to this thread and set your introduce yourself there: New Members Thread

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Essex, Ontario..............hi..........

In England, Essex girls have in the past been given a bit of a ribbing..........is it the same in Canada?

Londonboards I am 80% with you...........may drop duanage a line.......would be nice to support a fellow member rather than a European shop.

oops......better not continue with the specifics in this thread.............just seen the big orange header at the top!!...
            Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2015, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikkd View Post
              Hi all.........my name is Rik....

looking forward to gleening and hopefully helping out where possible.

my new/old steed......

gs1

gs2

A lovely clean G Rik, very nice.

Comment

I have no problem with Duanage's Honda R-Rs, but they are still shunt type and although I used a Honda shunt type for years, it eventually killed my stator as soon as I got careless with keeping the light on.

Aha - beware.
                Right now, there is a flood of China-made Shindengen copies in the same housing as the SH-775 (which, unfortunately re-used the late FET shunt-type housing) and the misleading and downright dishonest sellers will have you believe, with weasel words, that these are the same as the Polaris series type. They are not - your stator will meet a grisly end, sooner or later.
                In Europe, genuine Polaris / Shindengen SH-775s are available, but for over €200. There is no alternative to simply getting one from Partzilla, etc, from the States and simply paying the shipping. Jeez, it's a no-brainer - how cheap do you want it.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  I have no problem with Duanage's Honda R-Rs, but they are still shunt type and although I used a Honda shunt type for years, it eventually killed my stator as soon as I got careless with keeping the light on.
                  Do you mean that you got careless because you were turning the light off? Keeping it on would assist a shunt type R/R - would it not?

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

thanks GerryBB........

Grimly ...Jeez....cheaper than 200 euro's if you please!!

thanks for the heads up on the Chinese lookalike versions

I will decide if its a no-brainer ............

It is about how cheap it is.......but I would rather have value for money than let other parties rip me off............

your right the partzilla from the states is cheap at 59 dollars......then its 44 dollars for shipping (over 2/3 of the cost of the part), then its 8% import duty, then its 20% tax.....then its an approx. 40 fee from the handler in the UK to go pick it up (daylight robbery)

$59 part
                    $44 delivery
                    total $103 which is approx. 70 GBP

then add 8% import duty. 5.60
                    then add 20 VAT on total = another 15 GBP
                    then add 40 GBP for carrier fee

grand total of 130.60 GBP.............then to add insult to injury you have to collect it from the carrier because they want payment.....

then another 10 GBP for the Triumph harness.....so 141 GBP for the parts......of which approx. 75 GBP has gone to line other peoples pockets.

and its now gone from a cheap value for money mod to a pocket lining exercise.

I think I would rather pay Duanage $55 (37 GBP).........and know that if I had any issues he is at the end of a thread.

I know there's arguments for the fact that you may not get charged for duty etc..........but in my past experience from importing from the states and japan you sometimes do......so you have to build this into the calculation.
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2015, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                      Do you mean that you got careless because you were turning the light off? Keeping it on would assist a shunt type R/R - would it not?

Greetings
                      Exactly so. For years, every time the bike went anywhere, the auxiliary driving lamp was on (H3 55W) to avoid short-lifing the headlamp filaments. I got careless with that and paid the price.
                      ---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Personally I'm through with shunt R&R's.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

thanks GerryBB........

Grimly ...Jeez....cheaper than 200 euro's if you please!!

thanks for the heads up on the Chinese lookalike versions

I will decide if its a no-brainer ............

It is about how cheap it is.......but I would rather have value for money than let other parties rip me off............

your right the partzilla from the states is cheap at 59 dollars......then its 44 dollars for shipping (over 2/3 of the cost of the part), then its 8% import duty, then its 20% tax.....then its an approx. 40 fee from the handler in the UK to go pick it up (daylight robbery)

$59 part
                          $44 delivery
                          total $103 which is approx. 70 GBP

then add 8% import duty. 5.60
                          then add 20 VAT on total = another 15 GBP
                          then add 40 GBP for carrier fee

grand total of 130.60 GBP.............then to add insult to injury you have to collect it from the carrier because they want payment.....

then another 10 GBP for the Triumph harness.....so 141 GBP for the parts......of which approx. 75 GBP has gone to line other peoples pockets.

and its now gone from a cheap value for money mod to a pocket lining exercise.

I think I would rather pay Duanage $55 (37 GBP).........and know that if I had any issues he is at the end of a thread.

I know there's arguments for the fact that you may not get charged for duty etc..........but in my past experience from importing from the states and japan you sometimes do......so you have to build this into the calculation.
                          Pick and choose your supplier - one that sends USPS and NOT DefEx, USP, etc - for those bstards will rip you off, guaranteed.
                          With the USPS routing, you might and might not get stiffed, but at least it comes to your door via Royal Mail and you don't have to traipse around going to collect it.
                          I've had two used SH-775s in the past 12 months - the first one was supposed to come USPS, but the seller sent it DefEx and they tried to to stiff me. I told them to show me the contract where I agreed to them stiffing me; of course, it didn't exist. They shut up after that.
                          The second one actually did come via USPS and arrived at my door courtesy of the Irish PO with no fuss, no drama, no extra charges.
                          The price of each was around 35usd.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Cheers dave....that sounds better......

where did you get s/h ones from in the states.........fleabay?

Comment

Yep; via fleabay both times. It's a waiting game, but with the growing number of Polaris Rangers (RZR 800 in my two) now being broken for parts more RRs will become available at decent prices. Of course, the breakers know they can't ask too much, as the new price is relatively low and I don't mind risking $35+p&p on it. Some breakers might offer an RR for a good price but have a lousy shipping deal - just wait until the right one comes up. Might even be worth dropping them a query to see if they'll ship it at a decent rate. USPS 1st Class International is the one to get.
                              I should also add - a genuine Polaris OEM RR will have the Shindengen factory marking of SH-775 on the end plate. If the seller is coy about showing that end, be suspicious. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility the previous owner could have installed a cheapy RR before the vehicle was broken. Same advice applies to the sellers of so-called replacements for the Polaris units.
                              Last edited by Grimly; 03-05-2015, 07:35 PM.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X