New member. 83' GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member. 83' GS750E

Hey dudes. Just picked up this 750... $200 for the bike and a second rear wheel and tire. 19,213 original miles. the bike has been sitting in a storage warehouse for 4+ years

It needs new clutch plates (any suggestions on where i can find those is a big help), muffler, carb cleaning or maybe rebuild em, tires, brakes, turn signals, possibly new chain

I might change out the front fork oil. I dunno

Cosmetically id like to change the paint scheme. i might give that plasti dip a go! a new seat cover, slimmer turn signals and also a new handle bar is much needed. i have a set of bar end mirrors and i might try to rig up some normal risers and get a drag type bar and use that.

Im trying to avoid making this into a cafe racer lol

10959348_10205904845649528_757775743467027680_n_zpsa7a38cf4.jpg

Can i put more than one picture on a post?

10171290_10205904845249518_1396489609886246618_n_zps1f2ac181.jpg

Comment

lol well i guess i'll find out pretty soon. I host these on photobucket

10991140_10205904845409522_7036593555413084957_n_zps1aca52a9.jpg

Comment

I like it.

As far as appearance, I would just wash her and adjust the side covers.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRcom View Post
          Can i put more than one picture on a post?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38316[/ATTACH]
          Paste the IMG code from Photobucket on a post and you can do up 10 images. Nice find. I'd like to find one of those in that price range. Welcome to the group!

cg

sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

$200 Bike!!!

OMG, a $200 bike!

Welcome!

Just get her running and do the initial prerequisite work to make her roadworthy! She'll be ready to ride in no time.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Welcome to the funhouse....Looks like you've got some work to do. Id save the cosmetics until last and concentrate on getting it up and running first. I can only imagine what lies in that uncovered gas tank. I dig those bikes in the factory paint scheme.

Anyways good luck and again, welcome. Where are you located?
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks dudes. I live in northern IL. its super cold so im kinda stuck waiting to work on it haha

Comment

Nice find for sure!

I'd love an 83 E - I have an 83 ES, pretty much the same bike, just with a bigger fairing and partial lowers.

Take the tank off, dump a bunch of nails, bolts/screws in there and shake it around real good. Some folks wrap it in a blanket it and put it in the dryer (no heat, just tumble) and you'll get rid of most of the rust. Fill with vinegar (8% is best if you can find it) and it will eat the rest, then just keep it topped off while you go through the carbs...don't "rebuild" them, just strip/dip, sonic clean if you can and order o rings from Robert at www.cycleorings.com - he is a member here and has incredible service and great prices. He sells intake boot o rings and SS allen head bolts for the boots as well.

Head on over to BassCliff's website and get your manual, view the CV carb tutorial and value adjust procedure. Lots of other great stuff on there and here too, just use the search and post up what you can't find answers on, lot's of great knowledgeable people on here that love these old beauties...

New tires, some elbow grease, adjust the valves, (easy on the 16V motor), clean those carbs/tank, clean/check your electrical connections, test the stator output and replace the R/R with a series type, put in a new battery, do your cafe and RIDE!
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Nice find, looks as good as mine did before my restore....click on my links to see what I did and to get ideas....if you wish...

Before

and After

Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2015, 09:39 AM.

Comment

THANKS mike for all that info! i was wondering if i could score a manual online. That Basscliff website freakin rocks. Its like the wiki the v star 1100 has, which i also have lol.

Also GK i read that whole thread before i joined here. haha your build is awesome! i cant wait to get this sucker going!

I hope you dont mind using your picture. but this what im planning on doing. also i plan on getting rid of the front fairing and getting some mini insurments

Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I like what you did there.....more or less a solo seat....cool, get rid of the passenger pegs then as well, that will clean it up a bit ...I was going to go with a KOSO cluster, but figured I would leave the bike stock as much as possible....

best of luck on your build....

Comment

The price was right, good job.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125