New owner of a 1980 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of a 1980 GS850G

I have become the owner of a 1980 GS850G. This is the 3rd 850 I have owned in all my years of riding. There is something about the styling of these bikes that just seem to strike that right cord with my sensibilities. I have not taken possession of it yet but hope to have it under my roof by the middle of March. I look forward to being a part of this group.
    Thom

Welcome aboard.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Gotta love the 850... I see your not to far from me, maybe we can meet up this summer. Welcome to GSR it's a great website.
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by tgoelz View Post
        There is something about the styling of these bikes that just seem to strike that right cord with my sensibilities. Thom
        VERY well stated. Simple, to the point and absolutely true. A feeling, I think, shared by the majority of us.
        Welcome aboard and good luck with your new mount!
        Willie
        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Welcome to the site. Good luck with the new ride.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Third GS and you are just joining now? I guess we can let it slide.
            Welcome, Thom.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi Thom! Welcome!

Since you have two weeks to kill, check out the mega-welcome here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!! and use that time to familiarize yourself with all the maintenance you'll be catching up on.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Well, the first was back in the mid-80's, a GS850G ... which got totaled within 6 months of ownership. The 2nd was back in the late-90's, a GS850GL ... had that one for a few years and sold it to a friend who was looking to get back into riding. And now I have this one ... almost identical to the 1st ... and I do not plan on letting this one go from my possession.

Comment

Welcome mate, I like the 850's as well...........
                  GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
                  1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
                  1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

ok, apparently I made a mistake on the year of my GS850G. When I bought it on eBay, it was listed as a 1980 but the title I (now have in hand) reads the bike is a 1981 GS850G. hmmm, for me it is just good to actually know the real year of Ol' Blue ... that's the name I gave it.

Thom

Comment

Great to see more 850g's! I just picked my first gs850g up and I love it! Im only 20 and Im already in love! Thanks for sharing!! Cheers!

Comment

Welcome from another 850 owner and lover. Great bikes!
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                        X