Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From 2011 TU250X to 1983 GS450TX in Central PA

Hello GS'ers!

New to GS ownership and new to this forum as of today. My previous bike was a 2011 Suzuki TU250X that, through a series of circumstances, I had to sell last summer. Honestly, I was a little bit ready for a bit more HP, but if I'd known how much I'd miss riding for the next 9 months, I probably wouldn't have sold it. Anyway, now I'm in a position to once again get an (inexpensive) bike, so, today, I bought the 1983 Suzuki GS450TX pictured here.

I'm posting this here by way of introduction, but also because some folks like to talk about comparative bikes and, well, compare, so I'll start off by doing a little of that by way of my first impressions with my new to me GS450.

First, I loved my TUX; changed the front sprocket, got the gel seat, some old round mirrors, and rode 10,000 smile-inducing miles in the two years I had it. The TUX was the biggest bike I'd had; I had a 50cc Honda MB5 in high school that I rode all over town. But after the initial learning curve, I was finding the TUX was perhaps not ideal for me in this area. I often found myself on a steep incline here in the hills of central PA with an impatient truck behind me, straining to keep ahead (and yes, downshifting and screaming up the hill.) The TUX was fantastic in the curves and I loved to lean it, but the hills and the occasional freeway stint were not as fun.

Today I rode the GS450 home after buying it about 100 miles away. It's warming up outside, but still a cold day for a ride like that with the hills still covered in snow. Anyway, here are some comparison points:

GS450

Pros
    - Power. It's only a 450, but it's got 40 HP, over twice the the TUX yet is only 60 lbs heavier. I liked being able to squirt up the hills and ahead on a highway.
    - Little things like mirrors, the beautiful round chrome mirrors on the GS don't vibrate at all, clear view, something I never achieved on the TUX with stock or replacement mirrors (not that the TUX vibrates more really.)
    - Classic 70s/80s UJM styling, bits like chrome fenders etc.
    - Gear indicator gauge - love it! Especially since the GS has 6 gears to keep track of and I do like the flexibility that 6 provide as opposed to the TUX's 5.
    - Throttle note. Ahhhh that eager grumble. And it rides a little...rougher..than the TUX, both in terms of (aging) suspension, but also..not quite high-pitch vibrations..more like throbbing. This might be a downside for others. I kinda like it.

Cons and Questions
    - No fuel gauge! Not even a low fuel light. How could they spring for a gear indicator and tach and highbeam indicator, but no fuel gauge? Guess I'm back to using the trip-ometer.
    - Size. Although the GS450 is larger than the TUX in every measurement (some close) the seat to peg distance is actually less. Now, luckily, I'm only 5'8" so that's not actually a huge deal, but will take some getting used to. The guy I bought it from had put on new handlebars that are more straight to replace the swung-back almost cruiser stock bars (I like the change) but he gave me those bars just in case. If I feel the need to change my position, I may, or.....
    - Seat. The stock seat is comfortable; this is more cosmetic. The stock seat is slightly stepped, again, somewhat cruiser like but I do like the looks of a flat bench seat and being able to scoot back and forth on long rides. I may try to replace the seat, but can't find much info on compatible bench seats for the GS450. If I could find a bench that also raised me up about an inch, that might also help the height issue, but again, it's not a big deal and I just rode 2.5 hrs straight comfortably.
    - Differently sized tires? The GS has 17 on the rear and 19 up front as opposed to the TUX 18/18. So far, the bike handles great, but I'm going to have to wait for warmer weather and dryer roads to see if that affects cornering.
    - Age. I'm no wrench-monkey and clearly a 1983 is going to need more maintenance than a 2011, but I'm going to try to learn some basics here and there is a good affordable Zook mechanic around here too. This bike is in good shape, chrome is excellent, new tires and battery, there was a little rust underneath the bike on exhaust pipes and such; have to suss that out and test everything over the next weeks, but mostly very good for a bike this age.

Overall, I'm very happy with the GS so far, happy with the power upgrade most of all. I look forward to chatting with you all!

my_gs450.jpg

Originally posted by coyoteyip View Post
    No fuel gauge! Not even a low fuel light. How could they spring for a gear indicator and tach and highbeam indicator, but no fuel gauge? Guess I'm back to using the trip-ometer.
    Welcome to the site - there's a few of us here in Central PA.

A lot of UJM's didn't have fuel gauges - and none of my current bikes do. It's never been a problem though, and if you ride one enough you learn to reset the trip meter and utilize the petcock reserve (assuming your bike has one of course).

Comment

Nice looking T! I've never seen an 83 with a front drum though. My first GS400 a 77 had the front drum. It was great for rural touring and commuting but sold it when I moved into eh Burlington area a while back. The Brakes just weren't that great in bumper to bumper traffic.

It looks to be in great shape! You could always swap a tank and gauge from a model that does have a fuel gauge. MY GR650 (Biggest GS twin offering) does have the fuel gauge.

The TU250X is an awesome little machine, only if Suzuki offered them in a 500cc or larger size I would consider getting one as in town commuter. The 450 is a great sized bike and will be able to do anything well...

Welcome aboard. Recommend walking through and reading up on all the info of your bike. The twins are stone cold reliable, well any GS really is as long as you keep up with maintenance. My recommendation is you become proficient in learning how to work on your bike. You'll not only save money but you'll be able to self troubleshoot if you know all the inner workings of your bike. Especially helpful in those on the side of the road circumstances.

Good luck and welcome aboard!!!
      Last edited by Jedz123; 03-12-2015, 03:16 PM.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Welcome! Jedz said almost everything I was going to say.

Don't let anyone else maintain or repair your bike. These things are embarrasingly easy to work on and all of the technical knowledge you'll ever need starts right here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes!

Front drum?!? I though these models, including mine, had a disk font brake. The previous owner even mentioned I'd want to replace the disc pads in a few months, but I admit I can't tell the difference by sight (yet)

The fuel guage is not a huge issue, I just reset the trip-meter like you say and look for gas after 100 miles. To be honest, the first change I'd like to make is the seat, more flat bench style, tad higher, but I can find no info on compatible seats (even on this site, and I've been dutifully reading every gs450-related post!)

The he folks over in the TU250 forum were also just saying that Suzuki should make a TU500. I agree; give us someplace to upgrade to.

Took my second ride on the new gs450 today, today was pretty chilly and I'd heard about these being hard to start on a cold morning and taking at least 5 min to warm up. No such problems here, one dud start, then a good start, left the choke open all of a minute or two before it started to rev up on its own and I turned the choke off and rode away. I've also heard that in '83 they fixed some of the jetting issues that affected 80-82 models.

How far can you lean this bike over? Tried a couple tight turns today, but took it easy compared to my TU. GS Ran like a champ; frozen fingers, but worth it for the ride. I think I'm going to like this bike!

Comment

Your GS450T with a drum front Hub. Wire wheel rims (which are awesome by the way )

My 83 GR650 with a single disc front stopper. You can see how the hubs are different. (And see how dirty my shop is)

I honestly wouldn't try leaning too much just yet. Last thing you need is to be heavy in turn and hit a spot of sand/salt... Down you go. I'm riding now too but take my times trough the turns. In a month after some good heavy rains and snow and ice is far gone then I would go out and try. But the lean pretty well, I get my GR650 over quite a bit when I go into the mountains.
            Last edited by Jedz123; 03-12-2015, 09:18 PM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Front drum?!? I though these models, including mine, had a disk font brake. The previous owner even mentioned I'd want to replace the disc pads in a few months, but I admit I can't tell the difference by sight (yet)
              I don't see a rotor disc on the right of the front wheel... do you see a disc and calipers on the left? And a brake fluid reservoir on the front brake lever? If not, you have drum brakes on both wheels. Go in and inspect both sets of brake shoes ASAP so you know what you're dealing with.

How far can you lean this bike over? Tried a couple tight turns today, but took it easy compared to my TU. GS Ran like a champ; frozen fingers, but worth it for the ride. I think I'm going to like this bike!
              You can lean it over as far as you like, until something hits. I would personally avoid doing this on cold roads, though. And do make sure you're not riding on old tires (more than 5 years old) or you could be in for an unpleasant time.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Indeedy, I have drum brakes on the front. Apparently, my specific model is GS450TXD, which has drum front and rear. You can see it verified in these pages/pics:

i was also recalling incorrectly, the previous owner just said I'd want to replace front pads soonish, not that they were disc, specifically. The front brake is mushy, so will want to replace (would this be a good noob first GS wrench job?) but the back one stops great; better than my TU did.

As as for leaning, yeah, I just meant can we we lean these bikes far under ideal conditions, not the current road slop. I feel more confident with the riding than mechanics so far, put 10k miles on my TU with much grinning and leaning, but I'm prudent, slowly learning the new bike. Oh, and tires are good; front is recent with much tread, rear is new Avon Roadrider.

Thanks Jedz and eil - this forum is already proving friendly and informative!

Comment

Working...
                X