Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to forum, new to gs!

Hi everyone!

My name is Ed and I just picked up a suzuki gs550 off of eBay for super cheap. I haven't seen her yet but I'm way excited to have another suzuki. My first bike was a '74 gt 750. It sounded great and looked mean but it was designed for someone who must have been 2 full feet taller than me! The 750 liked to shake and rattle while it rolled; death wobble anyone? I traded that for a yammy xs650 and took a long stroll down the Yamaha highway. Now I own an 81 xs1100 which is 4/5 complete (p.o. cafe'd it) and an '07 s40 that's ready to roll, plus a few parts bikes.

I don't know the year of the gs exactly, the ad wasn't clear, but I think it's an '80 because of the star mag wheels and mikuni-like carbs (maybe keihn). The bike I won is fully dressed and looks quite presentable from 20 feet if you ignore the different colors! The seller said she doesn't run, but will start with some ether. I think a thorough carb cleaning and petcock inspection should do the trick. It looks like it's only missing side covers which is awesome! Even the air box is still there! I think I'm most excited that no one hacked at the frame; never again will I buy someone else's failed custom job.

I'll say it again, I got this bike dirt cheap and I haven't picked it up yet. Hopefully the seller doesn't disappear on me, I'm sure my winning bid was not what he expected (gotta love no reserve auctions).

On a final note, I ask a lot of dumb questions and I say a lot of dumb things but only because I want to learn and I want to help. Thank you all for letting me be a part of this group.

Ed
    Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2015, 03:10 AM.

Welcome!!! I am fairly new here too. But everyone seems super cool and willing to hep.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Ed.
      If you put your location in your avatar it could turn put that you have a helpful GSer living near by.
      I had a Buffalo back in the '70s as well. With Denco chambers it made a great racket.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome. Good luck with the cycle.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome, Ed.

Feel free to ask "dumb" questions. They only seem dumb to you.

However, the first dumb thing you could do would be to use ether to start the bike. You already mentioned cleaning the carbs. Do NOT get carb rebuild kits, you will waste a LOT of money. Instead, get a set of o-rings from one of our members at cycleorings.com. While you are at that site, be sure to also get the intake boot o-rings and the stainless screws that hold the boots in place. Add in a gallon-size can of Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip, follow the best carb cleaning guide there is, and the carbs will be good to go.

While you are waiting for your carbs in the dip, adjust your valve clearances. These bikes are VERY sensitive to valve clearances. They are incredibly tight, and get tighter with use. Tight valves make the engine hard to start, especially when cold. Eventually, there will be NO clearance and you will burn the valves, making for a VERY expensive (preventable) repair.

Take a walk through our library, grab a few "books", sit down, have a good time reading, enjoy your 'new' GS.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys,

The buffalo sounded great! Gotta love big cc 2-strokes! I have also updated my info, thanks Murdoch. It looks like dorkburger lives about a half hour from me!

Steve, one step ahead of you on the o-rings. I have a assorted box of viton o-rings from h.f. and a ultrasonic cleaner for the small bits. I'll be reading up on adjusting the valves before running her. P.O. said it will start with ether and that's good enough for me. Again, I don't have it yet, so I haven't personally tried anything to start her. Your right though, carb kits are a waste of $$$ most of the time. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks again

Ed

Comment

Your "one step ahead" is not impressing me, Ed. Not all the o-rings are Viton. Chances are that you won't have all the sizes necessary, anyway. The total of less than $25 you will spend for all the o-rings and stainless screws is money well-spent.

Also, if "ether is good enough for you" to start the bike, don't expect much help when you come back to post "I just burned up my valves, how hard is it to change them?" Adjust your valves. You will have plenty of time to do what while the carbs are in the dip. There is NO excuse for not doing them. If this sounds a bit harsh, maybe you will get the impression that it's something important that you need to do.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve, your right I might not have the o-rings I need, but then again I might. I don't plan on using ether to get it going, I just know that with ether, it apparently will start. I figure this means at least 2 cylinders are getting spark and compression, and this makes me happy. I'm hoping it is a fuel supply problem only.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Wow, I just saw the link to cycleorings. That is awesome stuff. Which member is responsible for that site? I think I will pick up a few kits for my xs11 too!

Comment

Hey guys. Since I was about to post a "hi, I'm the FNG" thread as well, I figured I'd just hijack Phatts27's post to save yall some skimming. I'm a brand new rider. Haven't even taken the safety course yet. I assure you gentlemen, that I fully intend to, though. I also have some very well versed riders around me that have decades of experience and zero reservations of calling me out on bad decisions etc. However, they aren't GS or even Suzuki guys. So your support will be valued and appreciated.
                    I'm planning on a complete teardown of my newly acquired 1980 GS450. I've already noticed some very shoddy electrical work on the bike, and as a former aviation electrician, this simply won't do. In order to keep me from being tempted to ride before I'm ready, I think this is a good idea. I've already found Basscliff's knowledge base, and dove right in. Not sure how to reach him but THANK YOU FOR COLOR WIRING DIAGRAMS!!!!!!

Finally, would it be a good idea to post photos/videos of my progress? I saw a couple rebuild threads, but not sure how valuable mine may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit View Post
                      Finally, would it be a good idea to post photos/videos of my progress? I saw a couple rebuild threads, but not sure how valuable mine may be.
                      Posting pictures = good idea, we love pictures, especially build pictures and videos. Thread hi-jacking = not so good...

Post up your own "New guy here" thread in the GS owners section and tell us a little about your bike. Good call on the safety course and having experienced riders in your circle btw.
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Very well. I'll have a new thread with a couple photos of the bike and more about me tomorrow, and start a rebuild thread. Thx Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by phatts27 View Post
                          Wow, I just saw the link to cycleorings. That is awesome stuff. Which member is responsible for that site? I think I will pick up a few kits for my xs11 too!
                          The man responsible is Robert Barr, his story about the kits is on the cycleorings home page.

Good luck with the kits for the XS11. Unless it uses the EXACT SAME Mikuni carbs as the GS bikes, he won't have a kit for it.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Close isn't always good enough, I know. My yammy uses (4) bs34 cv carbs, same as gs1100 I believe.
                            I scheduled pickup for my new gs on Tuesday! I'll try to import some of the pics from fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit View Post
                              Very well. I'll have a new thread with a couple photos of the bike and more about me tomorrow, and start a rebuild thread. Thx Mike.

Looking forward to it!
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                              X