new to forum, new to gs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the original text from the ad:

This is a very nice bike body in great shape motor runs great has real low miles problem with gas tank motor not running on gas think gas lines need replacing spray starting fluid runs great great project for the summer wont take alot to get road worthy again ask any questions has good tires no rips in seat or leather dresser NO TITLE WITH THIS BIKE no intrest in it anymore no reserve

Comment

First impression is that bike is way too nice cosmetically to have been left out side uncovered.
      Glad it is now in the hands of an enthusiastic owner.
      Is that a coin container on the left handlebar?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

My thoughts as well. The thing looks quite nice. Even the engine cases appear to have minimal, if any oxidation. Fork tubes look great also. Glad it wasnt put out for years THEN sold.
        Last edited by dorkburger; 03-16-2015, 11:54 AM. Reason: punctuation
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Word of advice: before you dump any serious money into the bike (have you even bought it yet?), be sure to get the title situation sorted out as soon as humanly possible. How onerous it is to get a title depends greatly on the policies of the state you live in. Some states will let you register a bike without a title if it's old enough without any fuss at all. Other states make you jump through years of hoops or flat-out refuse to deal with untitield vehicles. Contact your local DMV and explain your situation and ask them what your options are.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

With a buddy, I traveled 2 hours from home to pick her up. I hesitate to say this, but I got her for only $81!!! The chrome and decals are nearly perfect and the paint looks fresh. The seat is flawless an all the electronics work, too. The seller was awesome and even included the side covers and windjammer lowers! I'll never find a deal like this again. By the time I got her home, it was dark already. I think I'll have her running in no time!

I've had bikes with title problems in the past and it IS an absolute pain in NJ to straighten out. BTDT. Fortunately, I have a friend (also in NJ) who recently went through a similar issue who is willing to help me out. He swears I can have a title in less than 2 weeks for less than a hundred bucks and its legal to boot!

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY

Comment

God do I love living in Vermont... The DMV loves when I bring in a coffee stained, hand written Bill of Sale and gladly hand over plates to my 30 year old bikes... To them it's just easy revenue. Big reason why I don't move lol. The bike looks to be in fabulous shape. Rob S. would decapitate you if he saw those pics so put the bike under cover immediately!!!

Welcome aboard, ensure you get the titling set, I know Jersy DMV is a stickler for that... All else fails just sell it to me for $82 bucks and I'll have it road legal... tomorrow! J/K

Good luck!!! and a Happy St. Patty's to you!
              Jedz Moto
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2002 Honda Reflex 250
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
              2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
              Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Couldn't you talk him down to $80.00?
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ed, I see you updated your profile and youre from.........NJ. cool. Larry J may be close to you (Gloucester)
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Wow, that is a sweet deal. Make sure to go through it with a fine-tooth comb before declaring it road-worthy. No matter how nice it looks on the outside, you have no idea what's going on inside until you check it all out. See the mega-welcome link in my signature.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Jedz, I believe I'm getting my title straightened out using Vermont's registration system using form VD119. What a state! Fill out the form, jump through some hoops, pay some bills and we're golden!

Dorkburger, I went to Gloucester County College and I live only 20 minutes from there now. Do you and Larry ride together? I think I'll have the 550 roadworthy in a few months, just in time for spring. I can't wait to show this hog off!

Ed

Comment

Looks to be a great bike for that price. I hope you get the legal paperwork side of it sort.

Comment

Originally posted by phatts27 View Post
                          Jedz, I believe I'm getting my title straightened out using Vermont's registration system using form VD119. What a state! Fill out the form, jump through some hoops, pay some bills and we're golden!

Dorkburger, I went to Gloucester County College and I live only 20 minutes from there now. Do you and Larry ride together? I think I'll have the 550 roadworthy in a few months, just in time for spring. I can't wait to show this hog off!

Ed
                          Ive yet to meet anyone from here despite a handful of NJ members being on here. My riding time is unfortunately limited.
                          A couple of NJ area rides have been proposed here, but didn't materialize.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by phatts27 View Post

Ed
                            VD 199 is our standard registration form... Just an FYI Vermont doesn't issue titles out on anything over 15 years old. You can get the bike registered but you need a VALID VT drivers license or legal VT address. Some state's will take a valid VT registration instead of a title and let you register that way. IS that what you doing? .

State helps it residents out but I know the DMV can get very picky with out of state transactions. Also be wary, out of state purchases are subject to VIN checks now, you have to set an appointment with DMV road law enforcement or Vermont State police to get the vehicles VIN verified by actually reading the VIN off the frame to ensure the bike is not stolen and your not trying to register a vehicle that doesn't have the matching VIN, (in example Cutting the steering neck with the VIN on it off one bike and putting it on another to get around titling and registration issues).
                            My Bandit 1200, Yamaha FZ1, B-King, GS400 and Honda Saber V45 all needed to have the VIN verified by law enforcement before registration was finalized.

They seem to use the VIN check at their own discretion though. I have bought other bikes out of state and I was good to go with just a BOS.

Not just jumping through hoops anymore for flat landers...

good luck
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 03-19-2015, 04:58 PM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2002 Honda Reflex 250
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                            2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                            Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yup, I'm getting it registered in vermont, not titled. When the registration is up in a year I can transfer the reg to nj and get a title.

I'll need:

Vermont form vd199
                              odomoter statement and vin notorized
                              last vehicle registration (which I have) or certified copy
                              Bill of sale with sellers name, signature, miles, year, vin and date
                              Previous bills of sale if possible

Then I just cut a check for 40 some odd dollars plus 6% tax on the vehicles "good" nada value and hope it's not reported stolen.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

That Is exactly what I'm doing. Vermont's dmv website says I don't need to live in state to register a vehicle. http://dmv.vermont.gov/help#REG_Resident_to_register
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X