First bike GS650L Edmonton AB, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First bike GS650L Edmonton AB, Canada

Hey Everyone my name is Brandon Jones and I'm 23 years old. Just got into riding not long ago. Had some fun kicking the crap out of a KE100 (King Edward) in the bush with some friends then I got hooked. I picked myself up a GS650L, think its an 82-84. I definately love the bike and its a blast to ride. I wanted something cheaper to buy, cheap to insure, and was reliable as snot so I could spend more time riding than sitting and staring at it; and of course cheap and easy to fix and maintain.
    I'm from Toronto but I've been in oil city here for a few years. I have a back round in auto mechanics, electrical, trucking and various work on the rigs. I'm no stranger to working on cars. I've owned at least a half dozen mk3 VW's and I'm currently enjoying my 2011 Ford Ranger FX4 I bought new a few years back. America didn't get that truck that year but we did. It's exciting learning about bikes and all the engineering differences with small motor technology.

So about the GS650L. I was able to use buy the bike for about 1500.00 It was a fair price because the bike is in awesome shape. Its in good mechanical shape except for a few small things. Burns a bit of oil, slow tire leak up front, faulty tach and speedo (I'm to busy looking at traffic anyways) and a non functioning fuel gauge (open and look lol/ or shake). I'll may or may not address these depending on how I feel. For a reliability stand point I think I picked a good bike with the shaft for ease of maintenance and a good starter that isn't a throwaway.

I fell in love with the bike on Kijiji from the colours it was painted; it reminded me of my old goalie equipment. So here's a picture of her as of now. I feel I made a good buy.

FB_IMG_1427430781428.jpg
    I plan to cafe it eventually when I feel the time is right. But I'm in no rush because I'm just enjoying it. I don't think these are factory colours but damb they're sharp. It currently has a V&H exhaust and I believe its been rejetted.

1558388_10152361823727340_1721838973_n.jpg

How it was when I originally purchased the bike.

Comment

Looks good and they are good bike to ride, I have one which is also not stock. A lovely standard example is for sale on the forum here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-Restored-Mine

Mine is shown below.

2010_0422Bikestoday0005 - Copy.jpg

Comment

Welcome Brandon. Nice looking ride you have there. The PO did a nice job, new brake lines, progressive shocks. I have the same ones on my 850L. They sure make for a smoother ride and look good as well. I was looking to see how the bags are attached. I was thinking of doing the same with mine but couldn't find the right brackets. Is there a name on the bags?

Comment

Ya I'll have to take a better look when I get my bike out of storage. The roads here are still a mess here. But I'll try to remember for sure. Give me a shout in a week or 2.

The bags actually look decent on the bik3 and they are definitely handy.

So my rears are progressive shocks? Is it a stock mod... were the clicker adjustment ones standard on this bike?
          Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I have a 1981 650GL that I rescued from my uncle's barn last year. Check out my blog in the link below for pics of the restoration. Alot of people, me included, ditch the stock 'L' bars for something a little easier on the wrists.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
              Welcome to the forum! I have a 1981 650GL that I rescued from my uncle's barn last year. Check out my blog in the link below for pics of the restoration. Alot of people, me included, ditch the stock 'L' bars for something a little easier on the wrists.

Cheers!
              Hey Skinner! Thanks for the link. I sat at work and decided to be "productive" and I read every word of the resto. I definitely learnt a lot! Amazing job!

My bike definitely has the potential to be something great. Right now I'll be focusing on getting it all tuned up and serviced, maybe do a bit of aesthetics along the way. I'd like to have a base for where my bike is reliably. I'll be posting some of my own stuff up within the next few weeks. I'd like to get the bike riding it's best for as low budget as possible without half a**ing it.

And about the bars. I don't think mine are stock. They're actually fairly comfortable... "I think, well for now (because if i get bars they'll be clips or clubmans).
              How much was the carb sync tool? Are there any other options for syncing carbs?

My other problem is I'll be moving from a place with a double garage to a basement then small coach house condo. I'll have to get back to the basics on being imaginative with working on the bike! I guess I'll have to make some new friends with "free space"
              Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Brandon. The progressive shocks were not available back in the day. These were installed as an upgrade by the PO. If the front suspension is fairly stiff, it is likely that he also went with progressive springs in the front as well. The pr. spring is tightly wound at one end for about 1/3 the length of the spring. There is a tutorial on Basscliff's website on installing them. I ordered a set and then discovered that the L models had a slightly longer shock tube. I could still install the shorter G springs but had to cut the ABS tube to a longer length to accommodate them. My bike was sitting for 20 years and when I went to rebuild it I had all the chromework redone, not cheap but well worth the effort as it is triple plated rather than the factory chrome job. The rear shocks were rusted badly and it was suggested to purchase new ones,rather than going through the expense of chroming the originals, so I went ahead and was really happy with the progressive shocks that I got. There might be a label on them, facing the rear wheel on the inside of the upper cup. That is what I did with mine so it would not be seen. There should be a clicker adjustment on them also, at the bottom. I lived near Edmonton back in 80-81 in Edson and Peers. Was thinking of flying out and renting a bike for a week or so this summer to see some old friends. Will keep in touch. Phred

Comment

Ya I'll definately look into in. I know there are adjustment teeth at the bottom of the assembly on the rears. I don't know how to adjust them. I've never tried. I know the front is fairly soft to be honest. I'm a smaller guy and it moves with little effort. They're probably due for a rebuild/ replace/ upgrade. I've seen some light residue on the forks up front but nothing major. The rear is set pretty low and it is a nice height Although I don't know if I'm utilizing all of the suspension I can.

Comment

There is a special tool to adjust those. It may be under the seat in the toolbag. It should be flat with a curve and a little hook on the end. Comes with the shocks although any of them should do. Will look at mine later.

Comment

Originally posted by brando_00 View Post
                      How much was the carb sync tool? Are there any other options for syncing carbs?
                      I can't recall exactly what I paid for the Motion Pro sync tool. I ordered it from amazon.com and picked it up in Detroit to save on the crazy shipping rates. It's simple and works well. Having said that, most of the folks on the forum prefer the Morgan Carbtune. It's an easier to use device in that it does not rely on liquid to display the vacuum levels for each carb and requires no calibration. Check it out at carbtune.com. I'd go that route if I had to do it again.

Cheers!
                      K

Comment

Brando. Ditto on Skinners reply re: the carbtune. I also ordered the colortune which lets you look right into the combustion chamber through a glass sparkplug. You can set the carbs to the color of the flame in the combustion chamber with no guessing. It is the cats meow. I ordered mine from England and it arrived within 10 days. Just look up Coloutune and you will get into their site. They also have the carbtune and if you purchase both you end up saving. The dollar is lower than last year so it may cost a bit more now.

Comment

Working...
                        X