GS850L from NW Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L from NW Ohio

after my previous post I determined I should start a new post! after looking more into the bike the inside of the tank really rusty I saw a post previous for the gas tank I will hopefully fix! my first step is removing carbs. and since I have little mechanical knowledge with motorcycles, I will do my best at describing the problem I'm running into! The carb valve on the left side is stuck! hopefully I will get the carbs out tonight!
    1430709640229-1407145282.jpg

So I thought one of the valves were stuck as I could not open up my throttle...it appeared the 1st two carbs were trying to open but the other two wouldn't move....carbs off...as I manually pressed the arms starting left to right, the 1st opened up the first two valves pretty decent...then the middle arm that was attached to the throttle cable was pretty hard to move...the 3rd arm was practically immovable...I took a set of pliers and manually moved it...bout 1/16th of an inch...instead of the valves moving back, they appear to be closing toward me!! What the heck?!?! I don't know if it it's the bar that is attached to all the carbs is bound up, but it doesn't make any sense! Help!!!1430716643841-2072638225.jpg

Comment

Haha...I see what I am doing...so the real problem, besides my lack of knowledge, is the valve arm(?) is locked up....how do I correct this???1430717366260723482177.jpg

Comment

Strip and dip them. After that is done, a drop or 2 of oil on the butterfly shafts and work them back and forth.

How far west are you in Ohio? I may be able to offer some assistance.

Comment

Hi,

Welcome. Look for the carb cleaning guides here and on my little website. There are some other interesting bits you might find useful in the links below. Welcome.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow!! Thanks for the info and welcome!! I like the strip and dip!before I got all the info below, I was reading on dipping carbs in boiling lemon juice?! I'll read through all the info...be back in a few weeks lol, jk

Comment

Lemon juice? Only if you're making pudding or ceasar salad dressing.

To clean carburetors, strip down the carbs as far as they'll go (you can usually leave the butterfly valves in but maybe not in this case), pick up a can of Barryman's carb cleaner and soak each carb in the cleaner for 24 hours. See the tutorials on BassCliff's site for full details.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                Lemon juice? Only if you're making pudding or ceasar salad dressing.

To clean carburetors, strip down the carbs as far as they'll go (you can usually leave the butterfly valves in but maybe not in this case), pick up a can of Barryman's carb cleaner and soak each carb in the cleaner for 24 hours. See the tutorials on BassCliff's site for full details.
                And if you're close enough to me, you won't have to buy the Berryman's.

I have heard of others using the lemon juice, and ultrasonic. I tried both. the ultrasonic I used was not powerful enough, so I went back to berryman's. The lemon juice sure made the house smell like pine-sol, but my experience with it, is that it just doesn't work well enough for me.

Comment

Good deal, I may be giving you a hollar I have run into some issues and am holding off on the dipping for right now. I need to buy a carb kit...probably only do one for now. I jacked up one of the seats(YAY) I need to make sure this bike will run before I put a ton of money and time into it!! There was some SERIOUS gunk in the carbs and my buddy was like, I hope that's not in the engine!!Ugh...plus the brakes are seized up and the amount of rust in the tank is ridiculous. my plan is to get it running then put the money into rebuilding it right...learning this is pretty fun!!

Comment

Working...
                  X