New member, just joined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, just joined

Hey there, just googled and got this site. I was looking for a bike to work on and will be picking up a 1981 gs850l to work on tomorrow. The bike has been sitting since 1993, one owner and has 13,000 miles on it.

Welcome. You will probably catch some flak for getting an L, but not from me. We have two of them in the stable here, along with two Gs.

Where are you? Please provide a location in your profile. Does not have to be a specific address, or even a city. After all, look at my location, it only says "southwest oHIo", which is a decently-large area. Would be nice if you also generated a signature that mentioned your bike, so you don't have to remember to mention it ever time you ask a question.

Now, since our resident greeter seems to be on a "work break", click HERE for your official "Mega Welcome".
    Then grab the keys to the "library", sit down for a spell and start reading.

One of the FIRST things you need to read is the "Top 10 Newbie Mistakes" thread. Make sure you don't get accused of very many of them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, just updated my profile. why the flak for an "L"

Comment

Most of it has to do with ergonomics. If you are into more of a sporty ride, the L, with its higher handlbars does not allow that. The seat is also stepped, which pretty much locks you into one position. Then there is the aesthetics aspect. Some don't care for all the "extra" chrome or the leading-axle fork, both of which make it more "chopper-ish".

Boils down to "different strokes for different folks", but it's YOUR motorcycle, do what you want with it (as long as it's basically socially responsible).

In the meantime, be proud enough of it to post up a picture or three of it. If you go to the "library" (I gave you the 'key' earlier), there are instructions near the top of the left column on how to post pictures. Yes, it's possible to 'attach' one here, but it's only one per post, and I could never re-use that picture in another post. MUCH better if you host them somewhere (Photobucket, Picassa, Image Shack, etc.) and paste the IMG link so the picture shows in your post. You can do up to 10 pictures per post by using that method.

Oh, thanks for the updates to your location and signature.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, I see. I'm lean more towards a cruiser so this bike fits the bill. I'll post pictures soon, don't actually have the bike yet. It should be delivered tomorrow.

Comment

Ignore the L haters they are idiots..........

Comment

Welcome to the site Touring10,

Enjoy

David
              Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 05-08-2015, 12:28 AM.
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                BikeBook, you are not welcome here on this site, bugger off, 8 posts total and all in someone else's thread, not appreciated.
                This looks to be a bot of some sort, but I'm curious as to included address, and how it works

Already on my Ignore list (and the first "member" of any kind to be on my ignore list).

Now, touring10, welcome to the forum.

I'm on the side of "L"s are not for me, but there are certainly a number of nice examples owned by other members. Let's see yours.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

NP, I'll post pictures. Just give me a little time to get the bike first . Thanks everybody for the welcome!

Comment

We're just an enthusiastic, but impatient lot...

looking forward to seeing the new beast. With 13,000 miles, the thing is practically just broken in
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

yeah, just broken in, but it sat for over 20 years. i have to research out how to prepare the engine to fire up after a long downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        This looks to be a bot of some sort, but I'm curious as to included address, and how it works

Already on my Ignore list (and the first "member" of any kind to be on my ignore list).
                        What the l-lELL is this??? What did I miss???
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Laverne Models

Welcome!

My "T" came with an "L" seat installed so I've always tried to make visual comparisons between these two models. I like leaning forward so the "L" does not fit my bill.

Like everyone says, get some pics uploaded. As you can see, we like em' and are somewhat impatient.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                            What the l-lELL is this??? What did I miss???
                            Spyder,

you are better off not knowing. Ignorance is bliss right?

Just somebody with a commercial interest posting ads indiscriminately into threads...new member's name was bikebook.
                            '83 GS650G

Comment

Here is one picture so far

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X